Addressing The One/S4 "Bias" At Android Central

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
For the record --

I talk a lot with Kevin outside of AC. He's a friend. A lot of times we'll talk about our kids, or cars, or TVs, or even Android. I've heard him say more than once he's extra hard on Samsung because he holds them to a higher standard. I agree, and that's why I'll give Oppo or Sony a pass for including an SD card instead of building a 64GB version, but think Samsung is wrong for doing it. Samsung can do better.

Kevin's a Samsung fan. In fact, I still have one of his old Samsung Android phones here we swapped around for. That craptastic HSPA+42 version of the Vibrant, I think. If he's being overly critical (I don't see it, but like I said I know Kevin and maybe I can take what he says the way he means it) maybe it's because he expects everything Samsung does to excel.

When is the AC retreat so we can all meet and greet? Might help to ease some tensions.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
For the record --

I talk a lot with Kevin outside of AC. He's a friend. A lot of times we'll talk about our kids, or cars, or TVs, or even Android. I've heard him say more than once he's extra hard on Samsung because he holds them to a higher standard. I agree, and that's why I'll give Oppo or Sony a pass for including an SD card instead of building a 64GB version, but think Samsung is wrong for doing it. Samsung can do better.

Kevin's a Samsung fan. In fact, I still have one of his old Samsung Android phones here we swapped around for. That craptastic HSPA+42 version of the Vibrant, I think. If he's being overly critical (I don't see it, but like I said I know Kevin and maybe I can take what he says the way he means it) maybe it's because he expects everything Samsung does to excel.

-I- still think Samsung can do better. That's not my point here. This phone is not perfect, it's not even close to perfect. I'm still critical of quite a few choices they've made (Touchwiz has a lot do with that). My point is that it's kind of hard to know what's going on with a phone when you're not experiencing it firsthand. It's why you were able to comment about the "lag" being overblown. Or how I mentioned the false taps earlier in this thread. You can get a sense whether there's a real problem or just isolated incidents. The "lag", or whatever you want to call it? Not an isolated incident. I admitted that, posted about it, offered temporary fixes for it, etc. It's probably still real for people who haven't gotten that update pushed this week. I'm well aware of the placebo effect, but that's a widespread opinion out there, even today, that this phone is much faster and smoother than before.

Let's say hypothetically that the issue isn't fixed. You've got all these people happy that their devices don't stutter anymore, but let's talk about the change log and how it didn't specifically say "There was a problem and we fixed it"? Now he's stirring the pot for no reason. If all he can do is listen to the people because he doesn't have the device, and the majority, vast majority, are saying they're not experiencing the issues they used to, is that not enough? If them complaining about "lag" was good enough for him to form the opinion that the phone has performance issues, does them saying it's fixed change it?

For me personally, I don't mind what he says. He says something about the phone, good or bad, and it has zero effect on me or how I view the device. It's him being surprised that others are calling him out for some of this that made me say any of it in the first place. You've been honest and transparent this whole time about the S4 and Samsung and your take on them. I can't fault you for that. You feel a certain way and stand behind it. Even if it's something I don't agree with, I don't care because you're telling it how it is. Can't say the same about Kevin.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Kevin, since Jerry's post about the lag issue started this whole thing I'm curious as to why you closed a thread about S4 lag on 5/2 because as you said, "There are various threads already discussing this issue. Thread closed." And yet when Jerry started his thread on the lag issue on 5/7 you let it continue. For those interested here's the thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/274888-samsung-galaxy-s-4-junk.html

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Anybody is more than welcome to PM me if they have questions about any decisions that I've made. Publicly questioning a Mod decision like that is frowned upon. I definitely won't discuss specifics in public.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Yikes! Complete meltdown over here. This is bizarre. I think we can all agree that the S4 and The One are the 2 best phones of all time. Why all the hate, anger and recriminations.

Wow.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
-I- still think Samsung can do better. That's not my point here. This phone is not perfect, it's not even close to perfect. I'm still critical of quite a few choices they've made (Touchwiz has a lot do with that). My point is that it's kind of hard to know what's going on with a phone when you're not experiencing it firsthand. It's why you were able to comment about the "lag" being overblown. Or how I mentioned the false taps earlier in this thread. You can get a sense whether there's a real problem or just isolated incidents. The "lag", or whatever you want to call it? Not an isolated incident. I admitted that, posted about it, offered temporary fixes for it, etc. It's probably still real for people who haven't gotten that update pushed this week. I'm well aware of the placebo effect, but that's a widespread opinion out there, even today, that this phone is much faster and smoother than before.

Let's say hypothetically that the issue isn't fixed. You've got all these people happy that their devices don't stutter anymore, but let's talk about the change log and how it didn't specifically say "There was a problem and we fixed it"? Now he's stirring the pot for no reason. If all he can do is listen to the people because he doesn't have the device, and the majority, vast majority, are saying they're not experiencing the issues they used to, is that not enough? If them complaining about "lag" was good enough for him to form the opinion that the phone has performance issues, does them saying it's fixed change it?

For me personally, I don't mind what he says. He says something about the phone, good or bad, and it has zero effect on me or how I view the device. It's him being surprised that others are calling him out for some of this that made me say any of it in the first place. You've been honest and transparent this whole time about the S4 and Samsung and your take on them. I can't fault you for that. You feel a certain way and stand behind it. Even if it's something I don't agree with, I don't care because you're telling it how it is. Can't say the same about Kevin.

Now who's rehashing stuff? You clearly missed the point of his post. And seriously, dude, let it go. How many threads is this that you've come after me for talking about a phone that I don't own? You seem to have some sort of vendetta against me, regardless of what you say in your posts. Why? I really don't know. You must think I'm bashing your phone all the time or something. LOL

I will repeat this once again. I'm not surprised by anything anyone here has said, is currently saying, or will say. I got over that a long time ago.

EDIT: Had something longer written here. Forget it.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Good Lord! I drove into Mexico and spent the last 3 hours trying to get on the internet (for work, not AC. I swear. Kinda') and am shocked that this thread is still open. Good form, guys. Are we still pretending that people who work on this site can't have opinions, or is this strictly coffe and soda talk now? If so: I also prefer cream and sugar - lots of cream and a pinch of sugar. The flavored creamers are just too sweet for me. And Coke sucks. ALL HAIL RC - everyone's second favorite cola.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
You GS4 owners are serious lol. If he had stated he preferred the S4 this entire thread would be totally different, you guys would have tagged your sigs with links to him saying he prefers the S4 and you would all rejoice claiming a triumphant victory over the global One community haha.

Seriously all, why does any one care,I mean I get it, I rally do, you spent the money you have both a monetary and emotional investment and want to feel your choice was the best choice and feel superior to Ones owners.

In 6 months we can do this again when something else comes out and both the S4/one are dated and no one cares.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Now who's rehashing stuff? You clearly missed the point of his post. And seriously, dude, let it go. How many threads is this that you've come after me for talking about a phone that I don't own? You seem to have some sort of vendetta against me, regardless of what you say in your posts. Why? I really don't know. You must think I'm bashing your phone all the time or something. LOL

I will repeat this once again. I'm not surprised by anything anyone here has said, is currently saying, or will say. I got over that a long time ago.

EDIT: Had something longer written here. Forget it.

This thread started because people think you're biased and you argue that you're not. I pointed out why they think that. Hardly a vendetta. That would imply that I care about your opinion on a phone you're not using and I am; I don't. Guess the only difference is I'm here to actually help those that have the S4 instead of blowing things out of proportion or speaking about things I don't really have any experience with.

It's not really complicated. You'll continue to comment about the S4, regardless of if it's positive or negative, and I'll be here to correct you if you're wrong. Or discuss if you ever get one.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
What did they do to improve performance? Maybe the changelog will get updated? Hopefully?

I mean, the changelog is what it is. It's what Samsung said they changed, really. So now you're arguing with what samsung said they did, not me.

I like how this post is supposedly "stirring the pot" and not just stating a fact.

I'm also STILL confused how that one single user has such an issue with your use of "shady" to describe a lack of information given by Samsung. And that's still being referenced! Sheeeeeesh.

You realize the only way to redeem yourself is to order the S4 and place a down payment on the S5, right?

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I like how this post is supposedly "stirring the pot" and not just stating a fact.

I'm also STILL confused how that one single user has such an issue with your use of "shady" to describe a lack of information given by Samsung. And that's still being referenced! Sheeeeeesh.

You realize the only way to redeem yourself is to order the S4 and place a down payment on the S5, right?

Samsung and Qualcomm have given us the info and he chooses not to believe it and the used the shady word with no substantiation other than one relatively obscure blogger who didn't himself seem to think anything nefarious was at play, but then this is a subject for the "shady" thread not this one.