Guy at t-Mobile let me use this phone today; felt like cheap crap

YankeeMike

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Now , I have a Note 2 brand new and I'm looking at the S4 so don't bite my head off, but am I wrong ? I couldn't believe how low budget it felt?

And is the screen / brightness on par with the lower PPI Note 2? I'm not sure.

The Note2 feels solid, like an iphone or HTC One.

I'm also seeing people complaining about it being buggy?

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I handled one and it was near identical, from a look/feel angle, to my S3.

I really like my S3 and the S4 felt similar.

But 16gb? No sale. Now, if VZW releases a 64gb S4, hmm, I'd be tempted.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of the Galaxy S4, but it certainly hasn't felt like "cheap crap" while I've used a few of them. I much prefer the build of the One and the Nexus 4 over that of the S4, but I wouldn't categorize the S4 as a failure in the build quality department just because I think it's lower on the ladder than some other devices.

As for the "buggy" experiences, I would say that comes down to how each person uses the device. It would be quite an endeavour to predict how every application would interact with other applications and with the system when customized in an absurdly high number of ways. However, smart devices do sometimes ship with software issues, and I would be surprised if Samsung weren't paying very close attention to their newest flagship device. If you run into issues with TouchWiz (or other software components that shipped with the device) and you can find other users experiencing the same thing, I'd be willing to bet that Samsung will try to iron it out as soon as possible.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of the Galaxy S4, but it certainly hasn't felt like "cheap crap" while I've used a few of them. I much prefer the build of the One and the Nexus 4 over that of the S4, but I wouldn't categorize the S4 as a failure in the build quality department just because I think it's lower on the ladder than some other devices.

As for the "buggy" experiences, I would say that comes down to how each person uses the device. It would be quite an endeavour to predict how every application would interact with other applications and with the system when customized in an absurdly high number of ways. However, smart devices do sometimes ship with software issues, and I would be surprised if Samsung weren't paying very close attention to their newest flagship device. If you run into issues with TouchWiz (or other software components that shipped with the device) and you can find other users experiencing the same thing, I'd be willing to bet that Samsung will try to iron it out as soon as possible.

err, uh, Samsung has already pushed an update on at least 2 major US carriers that seems to have eliminated all lag and stuttering.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The phone seemed fast and bright ...but I worry about 2 years of use ...

Samsung pushed out an OTA update yesterday for most of their versions of the S4 to fix a few of the issues. While the "lag" was overblown from the beginning, it was attended to in the update and the phone is very fast. As far the build goes, let me try and explain. The S4 uses cheaper build materials. The quality, however, is actually really good. There's no real design flaws on the S4 such as gaps, speaker grilles falling off, screens jutting out, glass being easily cracked, etc. While similiar to the S3 in overall look, the faux metal band around it's edges does give it a more substantial feel. The power button and volume rocker are also of higher quality.

What's most impressive about that is that they've managed to increase the screen size, upgrade the camera, upgrade the internals, and make the phone relatively the same size as the S3 in overall footprint, but also make it lighter and thinner. So while you may not be a fan of the materials used, the actual build quality and design are superb.

PaulWog

May 1, 2013
Visit site
It's light and it has a plastic build.

You must be one of those people who thinks that heavy = quality. I guess if they fit more lead into it you'd be saying "it was plastic but it felt great in the hand". Hahaha.

Throw a case on it and you're good to go... a metal backing/sides are absolutely pointless, you're never going to see that stuff anyway, since you'll be using a case. The front has no problems. Once you've got a case on the thing, there's no difference between the plastic S4, and a competing slab of metal phone.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
OY.

Not ANOTHER one of these "it feels so cheap!!" threads!

Make them stop mods!!

Well they can't say it lags anymore, so there has to be -something- to dog it about. "It suxx cuz its plastix" was the obvious choice. In fact, I think I called that yesterday. I get a cookie.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
It's light and it has a plastic build.

You must be one of those people who thinks that heavy = quality. I guess if they fit more lead into it you'd be saying "it was plastic but it felt great in the hand". Hahaha.

Also, nothing worse that carrying a nice HEAVY brick in your pocket as well! lol! Lighter is better people!!

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
To each own as they say.

I was shocked how it didn't feel cheap/plasticky. IDK I never liked the S series until this came out, I skipped the S2 and after a few weeks I gave the S3 to my Mother. I also love the Note 2 but after picking up the S4 I hated handling it.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Now , I have a Note 2 brand new and I'm looking at the S4 so don't bite my head off, but am I wrong ? I couldn't believe how low budget it felt?

And is the screen / brightness on par with the lower PPI Note 2? I'm not sure.

The Note2 feels solid, like an iphone or HTC One.

I'm also seeing people complaining about it being buggy?

The Note 2 is so slow!
After using my friends Note 2, it was so laggy compared to the S4, it was unbelieavable at the difference
After this phone, I personally would not go to the Note 2

YankeeMike

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
The Note 2 is so slow!
After using my friends Note 2, it was so laggy compared to the S4, it was unbelieavable at the difference
After this phone, I personally would not go to the Note 2
Slow compared to s brand new phone with Garrett processor,? Yes of course but please the note 2 is far from slow.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums