Hi all,

First time Android user here! Slaved away with my Blackberry Torch and then finally jumped ship last week. Picked up the Galaxy S4. However, transitioning from the BB I am having hangover issues. Let me explain.
    1. Universal Search: I used to have the Universal search feature in the BB, where i slide open the phone and just type what I was after - a name, or something i wanted to search on the internet. The BB would bring up a list of contacts, emails, text messages etc where that name was found. I would select the one i wanted and pretty much got the job done. Now, on the GS4 i notice, there aint no such function. (a) is there such an App / Widget that helps index everything on the phone? (b) If not, is there any other way by which i can search my phone.

2. EMAIL: I have multiple email accounts configured on the GS4 (gmail, yahoo, hotmail plus my other work email accounts). The combined MAIL function doesnt display Gmail. How do I get all my email to appear there? Additionally, is there a way by which I can pretty much colour code emails from different accounts as well as BOLD and unread email and once read, it changes to just normal text.

3. CALENDAR: Why is synchronising my calendar / contacts / tasks / notes with outlook so complicated. I though this was going to be **** easy! I use MS Outlook. All my contacts, calendar, tasks, notes are in there. What is the best way to sync these to the GS4. I found an app called MyPhoneExplorer. Is that it? Or is there some out-of-the-box solution?

4. NOTIFICATIONS: Messages from Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Viber etc.....is there a way to get these to pop up on the bar a the top of the screen.....used to be like that on the BB. Has Samsung completely missed the boat on Unified Messaging ???? Life Companion!

5. I like the fact how when I slide down from top, the notification window drops down and I get to see 3 emails, 2 apps updated, 1 missed call..etc etc. Is there a post/link that explains how i can get the Lock screen to display these notifications (3 unread emails, 2 FB messages, 6 tweets, 2 calendar entries, 1 missed Skype call etc etc.... instead of be unlocking the phone, sliding down and then getting into the actual application).

I do apologise for such a long post. However, it is getting a bit frustrating getting my head around all these things. I know it can be done..just need to be shown HOW !!!

Over to you experts !!!

Aussie Down Under !
    05-08-2013 01:28 AM
    man im with u i need help with topic 4 and 5
    05-08-2013 01:47 AM
    I'll address your search question. I'm on an S3 but it should be the same. Enter your query in Google search. At the bottom of the screen, you can scroll among Web, Images, etc. One of the options is "Phone".

Posted via Android Central App
    05-08-2013 02:18 AM
    You should also be able to set up a Gmail account in the email app with your other emails, and use that instead of the Gmail app.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-08-2013 02:22 AM
    Thanks mate. got the Gmail sorted. Any help with the other items?
    05-08-2013 10:58 PM
    It's natural to have doubts when jumping platforms, but another thing you MUST bear in mind is precisely that... YOU JUMPED PLATFORMS. Don't expect everything to work in the same way (if it did, you wouldn't have switched platforms in the first place :P)

1) Universal search had to be removed as such because of the evergoing Apple-Samsung/Google legal spat. Apple owns the patent on that one (fair or not, it is what it is) so now, when you search your phone, you need to choose WHERE to look. Just scroll a little down on the list and you'll see the list of available searches (web, images, phone, contacts. etc.) You can also try the built-in voice search, either SVoice or Google Now.

3) It IS that easy...as long as you have the right account. I'm guessing that if you're using Outlook you're also using an Exchange account. Just add the account to your phone and check the necessary 'sync' options. Easy as pie. Now, if you DON'T have an Exchange account, things get a bit trickier, but not much more difficult or different than what you'd need to do on a BB or an iDevice. If your calendar is on your PC, you can install a plugin by Google that'll sync your Outlook calendar with your Google one, which in turn can sync back to your mobile. If you don't want to use Google's calendar because you have another type of account, that's fine, too! Just add the account on your mobile and select the necessary sync options (popular calendars I know you can sync this way are Facebook's and Yahoo's).

4) I'm not quite sure I understand what it is that you want here. ALL notifications 'pop up' inside the notification bar, you just drag it down and they're there. When they arrive, a small pop-up inside the bar also comes up,and if the app supports it, the notification itself can be expandable for quick actions like replying, etc. by swiping each notification up or down with two fingers (note that not all apps support this extended functionality). If what you want is a central place where you can see all your messages from all apps, like an unified inbox of sorts, then I'm afraid you can't get that out of the box. Maybe there's an app for that, or a hack if you're rooted, but not out of the box.

5) Basic notifications should be displayed on the default clock app (calls, sms, e-mail). Also, if you enable the feature in Gestures, you can 'quick glance' your pending notifications by waving your hand over the phone when lying still. Additionally, remember you can always swipe down the notification bar to see your pending notifications and going into each one without having to unlock the phone. But what you want is actually possible; remember that one of the 'advantages' of having Android 4.2.2 already in your phone is lockscreen widgets (you have to enable the 'multiple widgets' option in Lock Screen settings). You can add widgets for each app you want to monitor or, the most efficient way, is to download "DashClock". This is a VERY neat widget that centralizes all your info into a single widget, and looks elegant in doing so. It, too, only comes pre-loaded with basic notification capability, but the beauty of it is that it's expandable via extensions. Just search for the appropriate extension for the app that you want (for instance, Facebook DashClock extension or Plume DashClock extension) and it allows you to see those apps' notifications within the widget, and if you place it on the main lockscreen, that's the first thing you'll see when you turn your screen on.
    05-08-2013 11:27 PM
    I also want to know more about point #4 since I also am coming from a Blackberry Torch to a S4.

Are their notification icons on the home screen for things such as emails, texts, facebook, twitter, whatsapp, etc without having to swipe down the notification panel to see it. On my blackberry all those things I mentioned above would pop up a notification icon the second I receive it. So as I unlock my phone to the home screen I see instantly all the different notifications I received without having to go to another menu/notification panel. These notification icons are located at the very top of the phone where it shows the battery, signal strength, clock, etc.
    05-08-2013 11:51 PM
    Again, not sure what you guys mean... maybe a screenshot would help? All Android notifications are placed on the notification bar on top of the phone, and the icon for each notification is also displayed up there if you have pending notifications (unless you disable that if the app permits it). Again, you don't need to unlock the phone to swipe down the notification bar and see all your notifications.

But if you want to see all notifications in one place, you could try the app I mentioned (DashClock) with your required extensions; that way you can place a widget either on the lockscreen or in any of your homescreens and display all that info in there. But again, everything is up there in the notification bar already.
    05-09-2013 01:21 AM
    Hey guys,

Your tips are quite helpful.
    But I am still struggling with 1 small thing.

1) When I am using googlesearch / universalsearch to find stuff on my phone.
    I cant find any gmail (app) emails.
    But I can find the ordinary "Email" (app) emails.

Anyone knows any tricks or widgets to help me find the Gmail (app) emails when looking via googlesearch.

05-22-2013 09:48 AM
    When you pull up Google search and touch the settings key, choose "phone search" and it will show you what is included. Gmail isn't there. I'm afraid you can only search your Gmail within the Gmail app.
    05-31-2013 06:51 PM