08-07-2013 09:36 AM
75 123
tools
    I don't keep them long enough. 20 Super Phones and *knock on wood* haven't broke one.

SHIFT_tapatalk 2 s4 SGH-I377M
    05-08-2013 02:58 PM
    I will probably buy the basic $1.99 a month plan from Verizon when I get my S4, which only covers manufacturer defects, I believe. I am super careful with my phones and my two year old HTC Sensation is still in perfect like-new condition, BUT my husband had the original Samsung Galaxy (Vibrant) and it was a POS. We had to exchange it 7 (SEVEN!!!) times under that basic warranty. I'm not knocking Samsung, but I am a bit leery of them bc of this bad experience, so I plan to get the basic insurance JUST IN CASE we end up with another lemon.

(However, in the Vibrant's defense, at the end it went into the lake in my husband's pocket and IT STILL WORKED!! But that was the end of the warranty replacements for us - once it hits water, the warranty was void.)
    Parafly likes this.
    05-08-2013 03:24 PM
    I typically get Square Trade on my tablets but prefer AT&T for phones because it covers lost or stolen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    05-08-2013 05:34 PM
    Best buy is $9.99 a month for 2 years? That is $240 which is more than 1/3 of the cost of retail cost of the phone. Am I missing something?
    05-08-2013 05:54 PM
    I will probably buy the basic $1.99 a month plan from Verizon when I get my S4, which only covers manufacturer defects, I believe. I am super careful with my phones and my two year old HTC Sensation is still in perfect like-new condition, BUT my husband had the original Samsung Galaxy (Vibrant) and it was a POS. We had to exchange it 7 (SEVEN!!!) times under that basic warranty. I'm not knocking Samsung, but I am a bit leery of them bc of this bad experience, so I plan to get the basic insurance JUST IN CASE we end up with another lemon.

(However, in the Vibrant's defense, at the end it went into the lake in my husband's pocket and IT STILL WORKED!! But that was the end of the warranty replacements for us - once it hits water, the warranty was void.)
    Hard to compare Samsungs quality with the initial round of Galaxy phones. i.e. Captivate, Vibrant, Facinate etc. I have found them to be much improved. Although some lemons still get through they are less frequent IMO.
    05-08-2013 05:57 PM
    Nope. Why is this under the S4 thread ? Is this thread for S4 people only ?

I thought phones were covered under Obama care?????

Seriously though, I figure if I break a phone its my fault and i'll deal with it and buy the new latest and greatest phone at that time
    So when are you getting the HTC One ? . (Sorry, had to. )
    05-08-2013 06:08 PM
    Best buy is $9.99 a month for 2 years? That is $240 which is more than 1/3 of the cost of retail cost of the phone. Am I missing something?
    Well if I didn't have the protection plan, and knock on wood something we're to happen to my S4, I'd have to buy it retail which is 639+ tax.

Say this happened twice in 2 years that's a lot of money.

As opposed to paying 240 spread out in two years, no deductible and unlimited amount of accidents. Seems legit though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    05-08-2013 06:28 PM
    When I got my Samsung S4 (16GB) through Best Buy Mobile.. the sales consultant said if I get their protection plan My phone is completely covered for cracks on the screen, water damage (no theft though).. and up to one battery replacement.. No deductible and unlimited number of incidents.. So I got that..

my issue now is.. I am considering returning the phone for the 32GB version (I originally said I wasn't, but Husband told me to just do it since it's $50 for the extra space - & this is my Mother's Day Gift lol ), but through AT&T directly..

but I wanted to know if any of you opted for insurance/protection plan that was similar to what best buy had offered me.

I for the life of me cannot find the e-mail from AT&T that they were offering some kind of insurance for $6.99 extra a month but I remember when I originally got my Note 2 (returned it), they mentioned that they do have insurance plan for water damage/phone crack etc but the deductible was $200 and you were limited on how many accidents could happen (or something like that).

And I don't know if it's worth it to change to the 32GB cause the protection plan I have with best buy sounds too good to leave (cause i'd have to get the 32GB with AT&T since they will not have the 32GB)..

Any input would be greatly appreciated?
    Fit Mom, here is a thread I started on the HTC One forum.... http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...insurance.html
    What I am getting---I found out that if I set up automatic Att bill payments for my monthly bill on my Wells Fargo credit card they will give me free phone insurance (that includes theft) with a $25 deductible. Otherwise I would probably get the Worth Ave Group Insurance.
    FitMomXtine likes this.
    05-08-2013 07:18 PM
    Insurance through AT&T.

Sent Via My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet
    FitMomXtine likes this.
    05-08-2013 07:19 PM
    The only thing I would disagree with you on would be high end BT headsets. They last a year at best, and cost around $100. BB cbarges like $9 for 2 years. I end up getting a brand new headset every year for another $9. They used to sell plans on printers, but stopped. Probably for the same reason. Printers don't last that long.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Android Central Forums
    My BT headsets have had one year warranties from the manufacturer. I get mine replaced for free when they break.
    05-08-2013 07:52 PM
    I use Verizon's insurance since it's built right into my bill. I think it's maybe $7 a month, which sucks, but my general rule of thumb is that I buy an insurance plan for anything costing over $600. People that insure $200 video cards and $300 televisions are just throwing that money away.
    So someone who has a general rule of thumb to insure anything over $1,000 could say that you're throwing your money away, too, right?

To the OP, go with what makes you feel comfortable. I don't insure cell phones and couldn't imagine doing so. But different people have different comfort levels.
    FitMomXtine likes this.
    05-08-2013 08:01 PM
    So someone who has a general rule of thumb to insure anything over $1,000 could say that you're throwing your money away, too, right?

To the OP, go with what makes you feel comfortable. I don't insure cell phones and couldn't imagine doing so. But different people have different comfort levels.
    Thanks for the input. I actually never insured any of my past cell phones (never insured my iphones) and thank goodness nothing happened to them, whereas my husband has dropped water on his iphone/cracked the screen twice and luckily he was due for an upgrade at those times so it wasn't at all a lost cause..

but because I have little ones running around, and luckily I had applecare on my iPad and when it slipped from our coffee table and cracked into pieces, it was insured and I was able to replace it - no questions asked..

So I sort of just want to be a little bit more cautious because I am finding myself to be more clumsy lately lol.. I really like the BB protection I have right now.. so I'm sort of not wanting to return my phone for the 32GB one.. i have one day left to make up my darn mind. lol (my window of returning the phone that is ends tomorrow)
    planoman likes this.
    05-08-2013 08:11 PM
    +1 for Square Trade. I've had nothing but great service from them. They have replaced my daughter's iPhone 4 times, so no complaints here. Search the web, and you can probably find a 20-30% off coupon.
    FitMomXtine likes this.
    05-08-2013 08:20 PM
    I've had Square grade for years. Turned in 2 claims that were satisfied with no questions asked. They Co eyed EVERYTHING including lost and water damage. My coverage over the years has been on phones, laptops and I pods. Hope this helps your decision.

Gcaver2
    FitMomXtine likes this.
    05-08-2013 08:37 PM
    Well if I didn't have the protection plan, and knock on wood something we're to happen to my S4, I'd have to buy it retail which is 639+ tax.

Say this happened twice in 2 years that's a lot of money.

As opposed to paying 240 spread out in two years, no deductible and unlimited amount of accidents. Seems legit though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    Ahh... I did not see the part about no deductible. That makes more sense. Especially since you have little ones. I have have some stuff destroyed over the years lol! I have to hide my phone from my kids cause they like to play with them...I tell them to go play with mom's phone! lol!
    FitMomXtine likes this.
    05-08-2013 08:48 PM
    +1 for Square Trade. I've had nothing but great service from them. They have replaced my daughter's iPhone 4 times, so no complaints here. Search the web, and you can probably find a 20-30% off coupon.
    Agree. The Square Trade for the S4 is $99 and $99 deductible. AT&T is a monthly fee (~8-9/month + $200 deductible) doesn't make sense to me. The most likely issue with this phone is broken screen which is a nightmare to fix. Square trade covers this and IMO the better deal.
    FitMomXtine likes this.
    05-08-2013 08:50 PM
    I have Asurion insurance. $6.99 a month and a $100 deducible. It covers everything and anything.
    You might want to check your coverage because I carry Asurion through T-Mobile and I pay $7.99 per month for a premium account. It covers actually everything such as unlimited replacement of phones if they are defective with $5.00 deductible, (used it 3 times with an HTC One S before), pysicall damage, water damage, theft or loss with a deductible of $150.00, which in my case is cheap since I paid $700 for my phone including tax and overnight delivery. The only thing it does not cover is an extra battery but who cares batteries are cheap in comparison.
    05-08-2013 10:29 PM
    You might want to check your coverage because I carry Asurion through T-Mobile and I pay $7.99 per month for a premium account. It covers actually everything such as unlimited replacement of phones if they are defective with $5.00 deductible, (used it 3 times with an HTC One S before), pysicall damage, water damage, theft or loss with a deductible of $150.00, which in my case is cheap since I paid $700 for my phone including tax and overnight delivery. The only thing it does not cover is an extra battery but who cares batteries are cheap in comparison.
    Sounds like you're getting screwed, lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Does anyone have Insurance/Protection plan on their phones?-screenshot_2013-05-08-22-38-14.png  
    05-08-2013 10:41 PM
    Sounds like you're getting screwed, lol.
    Not really and I tell you why. The coverage you have according to the document is for a Note II and is dated from 2011. The prices increased at the beginning of this year and the increase is very minimal, one dollar more than you and the difference in deductible is about half of the deductible you have. You have through Verizon and I have through TMobile and maybe there is a difference in policies between the two companies. The other thing that it has to be taken into consideration is the States where you and I live. Down in South Florida things a bit more expensive. Having said that I think the price is right around there. For me the type of coverage is more important than the price.
    05-08-2013 11:15 PM
    Not really and I tell you why. The coverage you have according to the document is for a Note II and is dated from 2011. The prices increased at the beginning of this year and the increase is very minimal, one dollar more than you and the difference in deductible is about half of the deductible you have. You have through Verizon and I have through TMobile and maybe there is a difference in policies between the two companies. The other thing that it has to be taken into consideration is the States where you and I live. Down in South Florida things a bit more expensive. Having said that I think the price is right around there. For me the type of coverage is more important than the price.
    I've had the same monthly bill and deductible for years with all my many phones. I really doubt the deductible goes up when I get my S4.
    05-08-2013 11:25 PM
    I never had insurance until my S4. My girlfriend and I both have one. She needs it, she's dropped a few. I am only putting the smart cover on mine, so I got it for peace of mind. You break it and have no insurance, you're reaching way down into your pockets.
    05-09-2013 01:53 AM
    And of course it alleviates the need to come on this forum AFTER you have dropped and broken your phone and ask for advice in committing fraud by trying to buy insurance after you have broken your phone...gotta love those threads...

Sent from my Nexus 4
    chubb likes this.
    05-09-2013 08:19 AM
    And of course it alleviates the need to come on this forum AFTER you have dropped and broken your phone and ask for advice in committing fraud by trying to buy insurance after you have broken your phone...gotta love those threads...

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Bingo!!!

Some folks are just morons.

John
    chubb likes this.
    05-09-2013 09:56 AM
    I'm actually going to be in the same boat soon with this question. I'll have a One soon and I'll need to figure out the level of coverage I want (if any). Sprint's coverage would run me $11 a month for full coverage which includes free trips to Sprint S&R and liquid/physical/lost/stolen coverage on the phone with a $150 deductible. Really, I'm mostly concerned with the lost/stolen/LD coverage more than anything. Problem is that if I pay that I'm STRICTLY doing it for convenience as a quick trip to Swappa told me that while I can't currently get a HTC One at less than MSRP I could at least get some comparable phones (plus I have my current phone as a really solid backup).

I think I'll end up skipping the coverage.
    05-09-2013 10:07 AM
    If your main concern is coverage for a stolen phone, check your homeowner's/renter's insurance policies. Some of these cover portable electronics and cell phones, as well. Theft coverage would still be subject to your deductible, but this amount is not that high for some people.
    05-09-2013 01:51 PM
75 123