08-07-2013 09:36 AM
75 123
tools
    And of course it alleviates the need to come on this forum AFTER you have dropped and broken your phone and ask for advice in committing fraud by trying to buy insurance after you have broken your phone...gotta love those threads...

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Exactly! I haven't had insurance for a couple years on my phones, but I have gotten extremely careful with them. I used to shatter screens all the time, but couldn't stand paying insurion the monthly fee plus the deductible for a refurbished phone that never would work right. If you can find insurance that will actually get you a NEW phone, get it. Refurbs from Asurion are junk in my opinion. Anyway I started using cases (Went
    naked with every phone untill 12/11 with the Gnex cause I didn't want Asurion) and just hoping for the best. But at this point if something happens to my Nexus 4, ill just have to suck it up and buy another one.

Also if you can get a Otterbox Defender case for your device, get it. Had one on my Galaxy Nexus and dropped that phone at least 5 times on concrete and not even a mark anywhere on the phone. Yes, it does add bulk, but that $50 case saved my $700 phone many times. A better insurance policy than actual insurance in my opinion.
    05-09-2013 07:14 PM
    First time getting insurance on any of my phones was the day I purchased my HTC DROID DNA, February 1, 2013.

Sent from my HTC DROID DNA using the Android Central App
    05-09-2013 07:32 PM
    Yup I got the $200 deal.... Imo that's a steal for a brand new s4 if you lose or break it.

Posted from my amazing white Galaxy S4
    Do you actually get a new phone or a return? Cause I know with the one year warranty they give you a refurbished unit at a carrier store.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2
    05-09-2013 11:55 PM
    Do you actually get a new phone or a return? Cause I know with the one year warranty they give you a refurbished unit at a carrier store.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2
    That's my only thing... I do not want a refurbished phone. I want a brand new one lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    05-10-2013 12:56 AM
    The thing with extended warranties (not insurance) is that most technology is like a bathtub shape in were they die - ether a lot in the early stages were the warranty cover you or very late, so the extended warranty covers you in the least risk zone. Secondly the warranty's don't really grant you anything other then what you are currently protected by law (Australia has a law were producers are held accountable till x years depending on the device).

- - - Updated - - -

The thing with extended warranties (not insurance) is that most technology is like a bathtub shape in were they die - ether a lot in the early stages were the warranty cover you or very late, so the extended warranty covers you in the least risk zone. Secondly the warranty's don't really grant you anything other then what you are currently protected by law (Australia has a law were producers are held accountable till x years depending on the device).
    05-10-2013 06:24 AM
    Definitely covers water,any accident or theft is covered, I actually dropped my iPhone in the toilet a few months back

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    05-10-2013 06:47 AM
    I would go with Squaretrade over just about anyone else and certainly over best Buy. They charge too much and do everything possible to get out of supporting the warranty.

Not yet, but I am considering getting the Square Trade protection plan

Samsung Galaxy S Insurance
    05-10-2013 11:04 AM
    I put insurance on it, and while I have yet to lose or damage a phone I also don't have 6 lines with rolling upgrades I can easily pay the discounted price to replace it so I chose to get it for now and will see if I cancel it or not.
    FitMomXtine likes this.
    05-11-2013 08:48 PM
    Yes I do! I purchased a plan through ProtectCELL and its been great so far! Not only does it cover drops, spills, and glitches, it also covers against identity theft! This is called LifeLock protection and is purchased through protectcell.com.
    Beyond insurance, complete protection for your cell phone and wireless lifestyle
    http://www.protectcell.com/Services/LifeLock.aspx
    05-21-2013 09:11 AM
    I don't because I've done the math and found that if I had done insurance on all my phones since 2001 it would have cost me more than what a new S4 costs. In other words I could destroy my new S4 immediately after getting it, buy a brand new one and still be ahead. Considering I've never needed it before it seems likely I won't need it again so I'll continue to "make" money by not buying them and risk being less ahead if I do break it.
    vasekvi and eds817 like this.
    05-21-2013 09:32 AM
    Guess it all depends on what your history is regarding how you take care of your stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    05-21-2013 02:28 PM

Squaretrade has the Galaxy S4 listed. $99 for 2 years if you do not have a protection plan.
    05-24-2013 07:28 PM

Squaretrade has the Galaxy S4 listed. $99 for 2 years if you do not have a protection plan.
    is that two additional years after my 1 yr. verizon totaling 3 years?
    05-25-2013 07:09 AM
    I've been giving AT&T $9.99 a month since they've come out with their mobile protection packs and it's great. Best $10 bucks I spend a month is knowing that if something goes wrong, I'm only out $200, not $700.
    05-25-2013 07:12 AM
    I think insurance maybe worth it but that also depends who the provider is. I rather deal with square trade than some of the other companies out there.

Now I havent had insurance on my phones for years but the main reason why is because I usually house my phones in otterbox defenders cases. On the night my son was born or morning depending on how you look at it, I was so out of it I had drop my iphone and stepped on it while in that case. Nothing was damage but the case.
    05-25-2013 08:47 AM
    Insurance is something you hate to buy, but regret it if you break, lose or get your phone stolen. Its something you hope to never use, but glad when you do have it. Given how much money the carriers rake in I think its too expensive, but cheap enough given the price of Full retail.

Now about that new charge AT&T is going to start sticking us with that will earn them another $500 Million a year that's a crock of shiz.
    05-25-2013 03:31 PM
    is that two additional years after my 1 yr. verizon totaling 3 years?
    No it runs concurrent with your 1 year warranty so 2 total. it does cover breaking, spills etc which the carrier does not.
    05-25-2013 04:41 PM
    I've been giving AT&T $9.99 a month since they've come out with their mobile protection packs and it's great. Best $10 bucks I spend a month is knowing that if something goes wrong, I'm only out $200, not $700.
    $240 for two years AND a $200 deductible? Sounds pretty expensive. Have you used it before?
    05-25-2013 04:47 PM
    $240 for two years AND a $200 deductible? Sounds pretty expensive. Have you used it before?
    Twice. Once with my S3 and once with my Note 2 so I guess for me it paid for itself. For what it's worth I just feel more comfortable knowing my phone is covered. I can shell out $10 a month then a $200 deductible a lot easier then if my phone took a dump and I had to drop $700 bucks. I just wouldn't be prepared to spend that kind of money.
    05-25-2013 05:42 PM
    Twice. Once with my S3 and once with my Note 2 so I guess for me it paid for itself. For what it's worth I just feel more comfortable knowing my phone is covered. I can shell out $10 a month then a $200 deductible a lot easier then if my phone took a dump and I had to drop $700 bucks. I just wouldn't be prepared to spend that kind of money.
    Me too although I have square trade on my Note 2 and S4. I would be up a creek if they were lost or stolen since square trade does not cover that. I got it for my Note 2 mainly because I paid cash, almost 700 for it.
    05-25-2013 07:09 PM
    Me too although I have square trade on my Note 2 and S4. I would be up a creek if they were lost or stolen since square trade does not cover that. I got it for my Note 2 mainly because I paid cash, almost 700 for it.
    I paid cash for my S3 so I was in the same boat as you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
    05-26-2013 10:21 AM
    Best I found is Worth Ave Group. $50 deductible and their premiums are very competitive.
    07-11-2013 12:21 AM
    I would go with Squaretrade over just about anyone else and certainly over best Buy. They charge too much and do everything possible to get out of supporting the warranty.
    Got Square trade for my S4 and the wife's S4. 2 years, about $90
    07-11-2013 03:00 AM
    I only buy insurance if I plan to go naked. If I buy a case, I don't get insurance. Usually, I buy a case and haven't had any issues doing it this way. I will never misplace my phone because I always have it with me and I'm always using it. People really need to look into whether or not having insurance or buying protective cases really works for them. I know people, like my father, who have always had insurance but has never lost or broken a phone ever. So the money he has wasted over the years has been tremendous. My wife drops her phone almost daily, but again she has no insurance but uses an Otterbox case and hasn't had to replace her phone. We should all monitor what kind of protection we need. Some may be grossly overpaying for insurance when it isn't needed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-11-2013 04:38 AM
    I only buy insurance if I plan to go naked. If I buy a case, I don't get insurance. Usually, I buy a case and haven't had any issues doing it this way. I will never misplace my phone because I always have it with me and I'm always using it. People really need to look into whether or not having insurance or buying protective cases really works for them. I know people, like my father, who have always had insurance but has never lost or broken a phone ever. So the money he has wasted over the years has been tremendous. My wife drops her phone almost daily, but again she has no insurance but uses an Otterbox case and hasn't had to replace her phone. We should all monitor what kind of protection we need. Some may be grossly overpaying for insurance when it isn't needed.
    That's great and all, but here I am 7 months before my upgrade date and my phone has a defect. Warranty expired, always been in a otter box near perfect condition but I'm up a creek!!
    08-07-2013 09:36 AM
75 123