Does anyone have Insurance/Protection plan on their phones?

brainfarm

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I use Verizon's insurance since it's built right into my bill. I think it's maybe $7 a month, which sucks, but my general rule of thumb is that I buy an insurance plan for anything costing over $600. People that insure $200 video cards and $300 televisions are just throwing that money away.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I use Verizon's insurance since it's built right into my bill. I think it's maybe $7 a month, which sucks, but my general rule of thumb is that I buy an insurance plan for anything costing over $600. People that insure $200 video cards and $300 televisions are just throwing that money away.

The only thing I would disagree with you on would be high end BT headsets. They last a year at best, and cost around $100. BB cbarges like $9 for 2 years. I end up getting a brand new headset every year for another $9. They used to sell plans on printers, but stopped. Probably for the same reason. Printers don't last that long.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Android Central Forums

Parafly

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Idk about a grand but it is like $700 without a contract and that's the 16gb model.

Posted from my amazing white Galaxy S4

It's more like $570.

It seems crazy to me that you guys would pay $100 a year for the opportunity to pay $200 just in case you lose or break your phone.

You realize that 1 year from now you will be able to buy a Galaxy S4 on eBay for probably $350 used which will only be marginally more than you would have spent just in the event something happens?

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't keep them long enough. 20 Super Phones and *knock on wood* haven't broke one.

SHIFT_tapatalk 2 s4 SGH-I377M

GB333

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I will probably buy the basic $1.99 a month plan from Verizon when I get my S4, which only covers manufacturer defects, I believe. I am super careful with my phones and my two year old HTC Sensation is still in perfect like-new condition, BUT my husband had the original Samsung Galaxy (Vibrant) and it was a POS. We had to exchange it 7 (SEVEN!!!) times under that basic warranty. I'm not knocking Samsung, but I am a bit leery of them bc of this bad experience, so I plan to get the basic insurance JUST IN CASE we end up with another lemon.

(However, in the Vibrant's defense, at the end it went into the lake in my husband's pocket and IT STILL WORKED!! But that was the end of the warranty replacements for us - once it hits water, the warranty was void.)

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I typically get Square Trade on my tablets but prefer AT&T for phones because it covers lost or stolen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Best buy is $9.99 a month for 2 years? That is $240 which is more than 1/3 of the cost of retail cost of the phone. Am I missing something?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I will probably buy the basic $1.99 a month plan from Verizon when I get my S4, which only covers manufacturer defects, I believe. I am super careful with my phones and my two year old HTC Sensation is still in perfect like-new condition, BUT my husband had the original Samsung Galaxy (Vibrant) and it was a POS. We had to exchange it 7 (SEVEN!!!) times under that basic warranty. I'm not knocking Samsung, but I am a bit leery of them bc of this bad experience, so I plan to get the basic insurance JUST IN CASE we end up with another lemon.

(However, in the Vibrant's defense, at the end it went into the lake in my husband's pocket and IT STILL WORKED!! But that was the end of the warranty replacements for us - once it hits water, the warranty was void.)

Hard to compare Samsungs quality with the initial round of Galaxy phones. i.e. Captivate, Vibrant, Facinate etc. I have found them to be much improved. Although some lemons still get through they are less frequent IMO.

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Nope. Why is this under the S4 thread ? Is this thread for S4 people only ?

I thought phones were covered under Obama care?????

Seriously though, I figure if I break a phone its my fault and i'll deal with it and buy the new latest and greatest phone at that time :)

So when are you getting the HTC One ? :). (Sorry, had to. )

FitMomXtine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Best buy is $9.99 a month for 2 years? That is $240 which is more than 1/3 of the cost of retail cost of the phone. Am I missing something?

Well if I didn't have the protection plan, and knock on wood something we're to happen to my S4, I'd have to buy it retail which is 639+ tax.

Say this happened twice in 2 years that's a lot of money.

As opposed to paying 240 spread out in two years, no deductible and unlimited amount of accidents. Seems legit though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
When I got my Samsung S4 (16GB) through Best Buy Mobile.. the sales consultant said if I get their protection plan My phone is completely covered for cracks on the screen, water damage (no theft though).. and up to one battery replacement.. No deductible and unlimited number of incidents.. So I got that..

my issue now is.. I am considering returning the phone for the 32GB version (I originally said I wasn't, but Husband told me to just do it since it's $50 for the extra space - & this is my Mother's Day Gift lol:p ), but through AT&T directly..

but I wanted to know if any of you opted for insurance/protection plan that was similar to what best buy had offered me.

I for the life of me cannot find the e-mail from AT&T that they were offering some kind of insurance for $6.99 extra a month but I remember when I originally got my Note 2 (returned it), they mentioned that they do have insurance plan for water damage/phone crack etc but the deductible was $200 and you were limited on how many accidents could happen (or something like that).

And I don't know if it's worth it to change to the 32GB cause the protection plan I have with best buy sounds too good to leave (cause i'd have to get the 32GB with AT&T since they will not have the 32GB)..

Any input would be greatly appreciated?

Fit Mom, here is a thread I started on the HTC One forum.... http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/268781-some-options-phone-insurance.html
What I am getting---I found out that if I set up automatic Att bill payments for my monthly bill on my Wells Fargo credit card they will give me free phone insurance (that includes theft) with a $25 deductible. Otherwise I would probably get the Worth Ave Group Insurance.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I would disagree with you on would be high end BT headsets. They last a year at best, and cost around $100. BB cbarges like $9 for 2 years. I end up getting a brand new headset every year for another $9. They used to sell plans on printers, but stopped. Probably for the same reason. Printers don't last that long.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Android Central Forums

My BT headsets have had one year warranties from the manufacturer. I get mine replaced for free when they break. :confused:

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

So someone who has a general rule of thumb to insure anything over $1,000 could say that you're throwing your money away, too, right?

To the OP, go with what makes you feel comfortable. I don't insure cell phones and couldn't imagine doing so. But different people have different comfort levels.

FitMomXtine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
So someone who has a general rule of thumb to insure anything over $1,000 could say that you're throwing your money away, too, right?

To the OP, go with what makes you feel comfortable. I don't insure cell phones and couldn't imagine doing so. But different people have different comfort levels.

Thanks for the input. I actually never insured any of my past cell phones (never insured my iphones) and thank goodness nothing happened to them, whereas my husband has dropped water on his iphone/cracked the screen twice and luckily he was due for an upgrade at those times so it wasn't at all a lost cause..

but because I have little ones running around, and luckily I had applecare on my iPad and when it slipped from our coffee table and cracked into pieces, it was insured and I was able to replace it - no questions asked..

So I sort of just want to be a little bit more cautious because I am finding myself to be more clumsy lately lol.. I really like the BB protection I have right now.. so I'm sort of not wanting to return my phone for the 32GB one.. i have one day left to make up my darn mind. lol (my window of returning the phone that is ends tomorrow)

Coffeeman

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
+1 for Square Trade. I've had nothing but great service from them. They have replaced my daughter's iPhone 4 times, so no complaints here. Search the web, and you can probably find a 20-30% off coupon.

gcaver2

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I've had Square grade for years. Turned in 2 claims that were satisfied with no questions asked. They Co eyed EVERYTHING including lost and water damage. My coverage over the years has been on phones, laptops and I pods. Hope this helps your decision.

Gcaver2

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Well if I didn't have the protection plan, and knock on wood something we're to happen to my S4, I'd have to buy it retail which is 639+ tax.

Say this happened twice in 2 years that's a lot of money.

As opposed to paying 240 spread out in two years, no deductible and unlimited amount of accidents. Seems legit though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Ahh... I did not see the part about no deductible. That makes more sense. Especially since you have little ones. I have have some stuff destroyed over the years lol! I have to hide my phone from my kids cause they like to play with them...I tell them to go play with mom's phone! lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol