Does anyone have Insurance/Protection plan on their phones?

stringbeanie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
+1 for Square Trade. I've had nothing but great service from them. They have replaced my daughter's iPhone 4 times, so no complaints here. Search the web, and you can probably find a 20-30% off coupon.
Agree. The Square Trade for the S4 is $99 and $99 deductible. AT&T is a monthly fee (~8-9/month + $200 deductible) doesn't make sense to me. The most likely issue with this phone is broken screen which is a nightmare to fix. Square trade covers this and IMO the better deal.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I have Asurion insurance. $6.99 a month and a $100 deducible. It covers everything and anything.
You might want to check your coverage because I carry Asurion through T-Mobile and I pay $7.99 per month for a premium account. It covers actually everything such as unlimited replacement of phones if they are defective with $5.00 deductible, (used it 3 times with an HTC One S before), pysicall damage, water damage, theft or loss with a deductible of $150.00, which in my case is cheap since I paid $700 for my phone including tax and overnight delivery. The only thing it does not cover is an extra battery but who cares batteries are cheap in comparison.

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
You might want to check your coverage because I carry Asurion through T-Mobile and I pay $7.99 per month for a premium account. It covers actually everything such as unlimited replacement of phones if they are defective with $5.00 deductible, (used it 3 times with an HTC One S before), pysicall damage, water damage, theft or loss with a deductible of $150.00, which in my case is cheap since I paid $700 for my phone including tax and overnight delivery. The only thing it does not cover is an extra battery but who cares batteries are cheap in comparison.
Sounds like you're getting screwed, lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-08-22-38-14.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-08-22-38-14.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 39

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you're getting screwed, lol.
Not really and I tell you why. The coverage you have according to the document is for a Note II and is dated from 2011. The prices increased at the beginning of this year and the increase is very minimal, one dollar more than you and the difference in deductible is about half of the deductible you have. You have through Verizon and I have through TMobile and maybe there is a difference in policies between the two companies. The other thing that it has to be taken into consideration is the States where you and I live. Down in South Florida things a bit more expensive. Having said that I think the price is right around there. For me the type of coverage is more important than the price.

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Not really and I tell you why. The coverage you have according to the document is for a Note II and is dated from 2011. The prices increased at the beginning of this year and the increase is very minimal, one dollar more than you and the difference in deductible is about half of the deductible you have. You have through Verizon and I have through TMobile and maybe there is a difference in policies between the two companies. The other thing that it has to be taken into consideration is the States where you and I live. Down in South Florida things a bit more expensive. Having said that I think the price is right around there. For me the type of coverage is more important than the price.

I've had the same monthly bill and deductible for years with all my many phones. I really doubt the deductible goes up when I get my S4.

android5511

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I never had insurance until my S4. My girlfriend and I both have one. She needs it, she's dropped a few. I am only putting the smart cover on mine, so I got it for peace of mind. You break it and have no insurance, you're reaching way down into your pockets.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
And of course it alleviates the need to come on this forum AFTER you have dropped and broken your phone and ask for advice in committing fraud by trying to buy insurance after you have broken your phone...gotta love those threads...

Sent from my Nexus 4

thehatguy

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
And of course it alleviates the need to come on this forum AFTER you have dropped and broken your phone and ask for advice in committing fraud by trying to buy insurance after you have broken your phone...gotta love those threads...

Sent from my Nexus 4

Bingo!!!

Some folks are just morons.

John

Good OL MC

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually going to be in the same boat soon with this question. I'll have a One soon and I'll need to figure out the level of coverage I want (if any). Sprint's coverage would run me $11 a month for full coverage which includes free trips to Sprint S&R and liquid/physical/lost/stolen coverage on the phone with a $150 deductible. Really, I'm mostly concerned with the lost/stolen/LD coverage more than anything. Problem is that if I pay that I'm STRICTLY doing it for convenience as a quick trip to Swappa told me that while I can't currently get a HTC One at less than MSRP I could at least get some comparable phones (plus I have my current phone as a really solid backup).

I think I'll end up skipping the coverage.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
If your main concern is coverage for a stolen phone, check your homeowner's/renter's insurance policies. Some of these cover portable electronics and cell phones, as well. Theft coverage would still be subject to your deductible, but this amount is not that high for some people.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my Nexus 4

Exactly! I haven't had insurance for a couple years on my phones, but I have gotten extremely careful with them. I used to shatter screens all the time, but couldn't stand paying insurion the monthly fee plus the deductible for a refurbished phone that never would work right. If you can find insurance that will actually get you a NEW phone, get it. Refurbs from Asurion are junk in my opinion. Anyway I started using cases (Went
naked with every phone untill 12/11 with the Gnex cause I didn't want Asurion) and just hoping for the best. But at this point if something happens to my Nexus 4, ill just have to suck it up and buy another one.

Also if you can get a Otterbox Defender case for your device, get it. Had one on my Galaxy Nexus and dropped that phone at least 5 times on concrete and not even a mark anywhere on the phone. Yes, it does add bulk, but that $50 case saved my $700 phone many times. A better insurance policy than actual insurance in my opinion.

Last edited:

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
First time getting insurance on any of my phones was the day I purchased my HTC DROID DNA, February 1, 2013.

Sent from my HTC DROID DNA using the Android Central App

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Yup I got the $200 deal.... Imo that's a steal for a brand new s4 if you lose or break it.

Posted from my amazing white Galaxy S4

Do you actually get a new phone or a return? Cause I know with the one year warranty they give you a refurbished unit at a carrier store.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

FitMomXtine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Do you actually get a new phone or a return? Cause I know with the one year warranty they give you a refurbished unit at a carrier store.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

That's my only thing... I do not want a refurbished phone. I want a brand new one lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The thing with extended warranties (not insurance) is that most technology is like a bathtub shape in were they die - ether a lot in the early stages were the warranty cover you or very late, so the extended warranty covers you in the least risk zone. Secondly the warranty's don't really grant you anything other then what you are currently protected by law (Australia has a law were producers are held accountable till x years depending on the device).

- - - Updated - - -

The thing with extended warranties (not insurance) is that most technology is like a bathtub shape in were they die - ether a lot in the early stages were the warranty cover you or very late, so the extended warranty covers you in the least risk zone. Secondly the warranty's don't really grant you anything other then what you are currently protected by law (Australia has a law were producers are held accountable till x years depending on the device).

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Definitely covers water,any accident or theft is covered, I actually dropped my iPhone in the toilet a few months back

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I put insurance on it, and while I have yet to lose or damage a phone I also don't have 6 lines with rolling upgrades I can easily pay the discounted price to replace it so I chose to get it for now and will see if I cancel it or not.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't because I've done the math and found that if I had done insurance on all my phones since 2001 it would have cost me more than what a new S4 costs. In other words I could destroy my new S4 immediately after getting it, buy a brand new one and still be ahead. Considering I've never needed it before it seems likely I won't need it again so I'll continue to "make" money by not buying them and risk being less ahead if I do break it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams