05-24-2013 08:10 PM
191 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Just for clarity, was the diatribe earlier with profanity/insults/YOLO included in that action plan? For the record, I won't ever cry foul, but I just want to know for clarification purposes.
    That persons post was based on the very frustration that many active members are having on AC. I have no problem with his post as he was trying to make the crap comments stop. It's about respect for each other and how we voice our opinions. Things too often slide into childish playground name calling rather than educated helpful discussion. We are able to discuss the reasons why one phone suits us better for one or more reasons but this "I know better because I'm smarter than you" crap has to stop. Altima vs Honda... Really? Move on people.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    05-10-2013 08:42 AM
    That persons post was based on the very frustration that many active members are having on AC. I have no problem with his post as he was trying to make the crap comments stop. It's about respect for each other and how we voice our opinions. Things too often slide into childish playground name calling rather than educated helpful discussion. We are able to discuss the reasons why one phone suits us better for one or more reasons but this "I know better because I'm smarter than you" crap has to stop. Altima vs Honda... Really? Move on people.

Oh I agree, which is why I said I won't ever cry foul. Just wanted to know for clarification purposes if that was deemed "out of bounds" under the new rules so if I ever decided to articulate the same thoughts myself, I'd know what I can/cannot get away with.
    05-10-2013 08:44 AM
    I will comment. Take it as opinion.

He said what many people want to say, but can't or won't. It also wasn't directed at any individuals, so nobody can claim they were being attacked or anything like that.

It's a frustration that many members feel, but can only be solved with the help and assistance of the community as a whole.

My 2 cents FWIW

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    badbrad17 likes this.
    05-10-2013 08:48 AM
    Just for clarity, was the diatribe earlier with profanity/insults/YOLO included in that action plan? For the record, I won't ever cry foul, but I just want to know for clarification purposes.
    I can clarify that for you. Forums are about 50% DAISNAID. Furthermore there is more emotional response in the moderation process than you'll be told / will be admitted. I know this because I used to do it on a large gaming forum many many years ago and they are twice as vicious as tech forum posters are. I also know this because depending on which MN forum I'm on things are done differently. One Mobile Nations site for example hates my harsh criticisms of that platform so I am watched much more closer there. Conversely on another MN site the reins are much looser because I've helped stamp out some deliberate trolling accounts there. Don't lose sleep over infractions. You're going to get one every now and then if you have a smart mouth like I do
    You can even get moderated for things which in spirit, are unfair but I can understand why they do it. Ie. if you were to type: "This phone is stupid and so are all of you for using it. Jerks! Go die!" and I called you a troll... I'd get an infraction. Were you a troll? Sure. A reprehensible person? Yep. But I'd still get the infraction. BUT I might not depending on... personal considerations.
    Sometimes some people just say things that deserve a bit of nastiness that's worth an infraction The trick is in how well you space those posts out lol. You pretty much have to kill someone to get perma banned. I actually had one joker threaten to stalk me, hack me, etc. Extremely violent (although amusingly stupid) posts. Totally raged at the moderators too. He was quickly banned. However they allowed him to come back even after that behavior. 2 days later in fact. All he had to do was write a sob story appeal and his ban was rescinded.

Aside from all that, Nissans are still inferior to Honda, and consumer reports is an even bigger joke than Gizmodo for intelligent reviews.
    The Hustleman likes this.
    05-10-2013 09:05 AM
    I can clarify that for you. Forums are about 50% DAISNAID. Furthermore there is more emotional response in the moderation process than you'll be told / will be admitted. I know this because I used to do it on a large gaming forum many many years ago and they are twice as vicious as tech forum posters are. I also know this because depending on which MN forum I'm on things are done differently. One Mobile Nations site for example hates my harsh criticisms of that platform so I am watched much more closer there. Conversely on another MN site the reins are much looser because I've helped stamp out some deliberate trolling accounts there. Don't lose sleep over infractions. You're going to get one every now and then if you have a smart mouth like I do
    You can even get moderated for things which in spirit, are unfair but I can understand why they do it. Ie. if you were to type: "This phone is stupid and so are all of you for using it. Jerks! Go die!" and I called you a troll... I'd get an infraction. Were you a troll? Sure. A reprehensible person? Yep. But I'd still get the infraction. BUT I might not depending on... personal considerations.
    Sometimes some people just say things that deserve a bit of nastiness that's worth an infraction The trick is in how well you space those posts out lol. You pretty much have to kill someone to get perma banned. I actually had one joker threaten to stalk me, hack me, etc. Extremely violent (although amusingly stupid) posts. Totally raged at the moderators too. He was quickly banned. However they allowed him to come back even after that behavior. 2 days later in fact. All he had to do was write a sob story appeal and his ban was rescinded.

Aside from all that, Nissans are still inferior to Honda, and consumer reports is an even bigger joke than Gizmodo for intelligent reviews.
    Except you're not a Moderator here, so that all really is a guess. :-)

People just need to remember that we're human, and not robots.

05-10-2013 09:50 AM
    People just need to remember that we're human, and not robots.
    This.

Now that we've addressed the activity in this forum and this thread, are we all set to move from cars back to phones?
    jeffrey10000 and badbrad17 like this.
    05-10-2013 11:55 AM

I kinda agree.

I've seen mods censor posts about profanity, yet when a mod used it directed at me, there was nothing done.

They are human, so playing favorites will happen intentionally or unintentionally

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    05-10-2013 12:10 PM
    I thought this was about the CNET's review/smackdown fight between the One and S4, not a let's talk about the MOD's here.

By the way, I think they do a fairly good job for all the traffic this place has.
    Topgonzo and TomsAndroid like this.
    05-10-2013 12:13 PM
    I just traded my "One" for the S4 yesterday. The only reason I did this was because of the Bluetooth stack on the "one" just sucks. To get it to work to an extent was to remove the voice search update, and install svox classic which loses the google now widget and other settings. Still, everyone I talked to said I sound like crap and they sounded like they were in a tin room. Yes, I wiped the cache and wiped through the bootloader with no effect. So here I am with the S4. It downloaded the update as soon as it was activated....but this thing is laggy as hell. I mean...I turned off ALL external sensor goodies, went with .5 in the developer options, and prayed. Welp....no luck. It helped a little but compared to the "one"....there's no comparison. BTW, I'm a Sammy fan that wanted to give HTC another try.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-10-2013 12:21 PM
    I just traded my "One" for the S4 yesterday. The only reason I did this was because of the Bluetooth stack on the "one" just sucks. To get it to work to an extent was to remove the voice search update, and install svox classic which loses the google now widget and other settings. Still, everyone I talked to said I sound like crap and they sounded like they were in a tin room. Yes, I wiped the cache and wiped through the bootloader with no effect. So here I am with the S4. It downloaded the update as soon as it was activated....but this thing is laggy as hell. I mean...I turned off ALL external sensor goodies, went with .5 in the developer options, and prayed. Welp....no luck. It helped a little but compared to the "one"....there's no comparison. BTW, I'm a Sammy fan that wanted to give HTC another try.
    Are you on the latest build (MDL)? I've noticed that some people have corrected the issue if they're still having stuttering issues after the update by doing a factory reset.
    05-10-2013 12:24 PM
    Goodness this thread is full of fail. I expected some actual good info instead it's one big argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    05-10-2013 12:37 PM
    Goodness this thread is full of fail. I expected some actual good info instead it's one big argument.
    It was. We're past that now.
    05-10-2013 12:39 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think it's an interesting thread because I have talked with a lot of people that switched from iPhones and one of the top 3 reasons is for a bigger screen. As phones are used more and more for media consumption and less for calls a bigger screen becomes more important.
    Patrick Schroedl and Aquila like this.
    05-10-2013 12:54 PM
    Except you're not a Moderator here, so that all really is a guess. :-)

partially. The moderator-only discussions that aren't visible to regular forum members isn't a completely leak-free vault
    This.

Now that we've addressed the activity in this forum and this thread, are we all set to move from cars back to phones?
    I confess my guilt in taking a jab at Nissan owners. I promise to stop as long as we can all admit Neal Peart is the greatest drummer of all time...

majorpayne and badbrad17 like this.
    05-10-2013 01:02 PM
    I think it's an interesting thread because I have talked with a lot of people that switched from iPhones and one of the top 3 reasons is for a bigger screen. As phones are used more and more for media consumption and less for calls a bigger screen becomes more important.
    Exactly. Android is in a great position as far as media consumption (large vibrant screens), media sharing (modular operating system, the Intent framework, technological augmentations such as NFC), and media creation (HTC Zoe, etc.). It's a really strong point of almost all the flagship Android phones and tablets right now.
    05-10-2013 01:05 PM
    I think this entire forum needs a little of Bob....

Maybe you know him, maybe you don't but the man loved life and nature and expressed it in all his paintings. I found it awesome when Google paid tribute to him by using this for their Google search page a while back.
    05-10-2013 01:45 PM
    partially. The moderator-only discussions that aren't visible to regular forum members isn't a completely leak-free vault
    Good thing we don't do much chatting in there. :-)

05-10-2013 02:08 PM
    Are you on the latest build (MDL)? I've noticed that some people have corrected the issue if they're still having stuttering issues after the update by doing a factory reset.
    Yes. I said I wiped the cache and wiped through bootloader. LOL, I guess I meant factory resetted.
    05-10-2013 02:41 PM
    Yes. I said I wiped the cache and wiped through bootloader. LOL, I guess I meant factory resetted.
    Weird. Don't really know what to tell you, then. The stutter, even before the update, wasn't really that bad. Might want to think about exchanging it.
    05-10-2013 02:43 PM
    Weird. Don't really know what to tell you, then. The stutter, even before the update, wasn't really that bad. Might want to think about exchanging it.
    Thanks for the help. Both the "one" and S4 are configured for cdma/lte by default. As soon as I thought of that....I changed it to cdma only and it magically stopped overheating. The "one" never got hot so I guess HTC's handle it's radios better. Thanks for your help
    05-10-2013 05:07 PM
    Thanks for the help. Both the "one" and S4 are configured for cdma/lte by default. As soon as I thought of that....I changed it to cdma only and it magically stopped overheating. The "one" never got hot so I guess HTC's handle it's radios better. Thanks for your help
    You shouldn't need to turn LTE off. I use LTE all day at work and it doesn't get hot at all. Overheating, heavy lag after the update, etc sounds like you've got a defective device.
    05-10-2013 05:15 PM
    You shouldn't need to turn LTE off. I use LTE all day at work and it doesn't get hot at all. Overheating, heavy lag after the update, etc sounds like you've got a defective device.
    Im not in an lte coverage area. But there still is 4g wimax in the area. So im guessing it's polling for an lte signal but only getting wimax signal which this phone doesnt support. And yeah, I still have lag. My s3 ran better than ghis.
    05-10-2013 07:39 PM
    Promise to stop as long as we can all admit Neal Peart is the greatest drummer of all time...
    You're my new favourite.

omniusovermind likes this.
    05-10-2013 09:51 PM

I confess my guilt in taking a jab at Nissan owners. I promise to stop as long as we can all admit Neal Peart is the greatest drummer of all time...

Hell yes!

Born in my hometown too.

Posted via Android Central App
    badbrad17 and omniusovermind like this.
    05-10-2013 09:58 PM
    Hell yes!

Born in my hometown too.

Posted via Android Central App
    I played drums my whole life. He was always the man. I'm going to see Rush in Vancouver in July.

Sorry I squirreled this thread.

05-10-2013 10:56 PM
191 ... 34567 ...