05-24-2013 08:10 PM
191 ... 5678
tools
    They probably didn't even try to look.

Posted via Android Central App
    They definitely didn't make any effort to let people know they even exist.

Sony needs to get phones in stores, period.

What carrier is the new Xperia on?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    05-11-2013 03:49 PM
    I was first shocked that the htc one won over the iphone. Then this happen and I was like wow. Which means that the s4 beats the iphone as well. The first time ever that I have seen this on cnet.
    That should come as no surprise (former iPhone user who has seen the light after many, many attempts @ iOS). Android for life.

- - - Updated - - -

Lets not get carried away lol s4 beat the one by a hundredth of a point.
    A win is a win, no matter the margin of victory. Just ask anyone who has one by 1/100th of a second on the race track, track and field, horse racing, etc. LOL.
    tohio and madlaw1071 like this.
    05-11-2013 04:03 PM
    I'm quite impressed. I wish something like that would show up here in the US and would be able to get biweekly updates on a major carrier.

With updates or features done by user request, I would toss my week old S4 out quite quickly.

You can buy one unlocked online. Just like s Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    05-11-2013 10:13 PM
    Nice phone, nice price but no LTE equal no sale 4 me.
    I didn't realize it didn't have LTE. Not that I care much. I'm on a nexus 4 and really don't miss it. But Canada has a great network.

05-11-2013 10:16 PM
    I actually refer to cnet as well as android central, as my two main review sites when trying to determine whether a phone purchase is worth it.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA
    I prefer to use my own value judgement when in the market to purchase. It's interesting to read the reviews to find out about specs, but in order to truly know if a purchase is worth my money, I have to have hands on time. A phone is a decent sized investment. I normally buy the device I'm seriously considering for a test drive. Then and only then can I know what is best for me. Nobody else, whether that be my best friend, or CNET can do that for me. It's no different than hearing that all the critics panned a movie but you went to see it anyway and loved it. Had you listened to the critics you would have missed out on a great movie.
    05-12-2013 12:38 AM
    Your proof is horribly biased. I see plenty of gangbanging wannabes driving Camrys, Corollas, Accords, AND CIVICS. Nissan, Toyota, and Honda all compete on the same level. They are the 3 big Japanese makers.
    Furthermore, Nissan is priced competitively along with every other non luxury midsize sedan, including Toyota and Honda. Check the best selling midsize cars for the month of April 2013. The Nissan Altima was number on the list.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-12-2013 12:44 AM
    I actually refer to cnet as well as android central, as my two main review sites when trying to determine whether a phone purchase is worth it.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA
    Are you sure you can trust Android Central reviews? How sure?
    05-12-2013 12:44 AM
    Come on, man! Why is this a thread? Another f'ing thread... because there weren't 40 identical ones to post that link in? Nobody would have found their way over to that tiny little tech site on their own? This is ridiculous. Like a bunch of petulant children here. If you can't get the last word in on a thread, start another and get the first word in over there. If you weren't happy bashing the moderators time and time again in one thread, just search for the latest "GS4 vs One" thread (trust me - some enormous tool is bound to start one every day) and you can keep going at it. You can say it happens "like clockwork" all you want, but you're part of the problem and you keep winding that clock. This thread was flying off the rails halfway through the first page. And the moderators, who love to say "don't feed the trolls", apparently roll around here with garbage bags full Red Vines and Doritos, Cheez-it's and Red Bull, because they can't stop themselves from feeding everyone. And then there are the lurkers who just pop in to stir the pot in case things actually start to settle down a bit. Good Lord, it's like The Warriors in here.

Then a bunch of us stupidly come to this thread, clicking on the "Trending Now" link, only to find the usual suspects in another pissing contest over which fans are more obnoxious and why moderators shouldn't be allowed to have opinions. Then there's the "don't talk about lag on my GS4! You're a filthy liar!" guys who are immediately followed by the jerkoff posting "meh, the GS4 sucks. HTC FTW!". (On a side-note, anyone who uses "meh" and "FTW" in a post should have their login revoked and YOLO tattooed on their forehead). While "you better not be talking about me" and "I'm not getting sucked into this again, except for these next 10 posts" get plastered all over the forums and you nincompoops stand around with your arms folded and your chests thrust out like your **** don't stink, you are making this place very not-fun for the rest of us.

There's no more lively debate. No more geeking-out as a community. We can't talk about battery technology without the "non-removable batteries are stupid" snipers. We can't discuss anything regarding manufacturing or build-quality because "plastic sucks, can't you get that through your thick head?" and there will be blood spilled at some point. I can't talk about something on my phone that I don't like or that isn't right because I know the thread will become a "that's because your phone is a POS and my phone is powered by the blood of the baby Jesus" fiasco. For the record - that isn't real helpful, just telling someone their phone sucks. It's not why most of us started coming here in the first place. I lurked around here for over a year before I signed up because it was a little intimidating, seeing all these people who seemed to know what they were talking about and not wanting to sound like a total moron. But people were welcoming and wanted to help, so it was good. But some of you guys have turned into a virus that just keeps spreading and infecting every damn thread you post in. The sad thing is, we never know when you all are going to show up. We just know that you will. Thanks for screwing it all up for the rest of us.
    As a long time reader and occasional poster, I find this post by you more than a bit hypocritical. You've been in your share of dust ups as well. In fact the term "bully" and "condescending" would come to mind when I would read some of your posts. You have performed in the very manner you now decry. Although, I do agree with the overall tenor of what you just posted.
    People who live in glass houses...
    tohio and TomsAndroid like this.
    05-12-2013 12:54 AM
    Let's keep the discussion civil and on topic.

The regulars here should know better than to respond in the way that some chose to do.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Aquila, TomsAndroid and Paul627g like this.
    05-12-2013 02:26 PM
    Are you sure you can trust Android Central reviews? How sure?
    I never trust just one site to make my opinion. That why I also check amazon and reselling sites for user reviews ;-)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Aquila likes this.
    05-12-2013 05:35 PM
    I prefer to use my own value judgement when in the market to purchase. It's interesting to read the reviews to find out about specs, but in order to truly know if a purchase is worth my money, I have to have hands on time. A phone is a decent sized investment. I normally buy the device I'm seriously considering for a test drive. Then and only then can I know what is best for me. Nobody else, whether that be my best friend, or CNET can do that for me. It's no different than hearing that all the critics panned a movie but you went to see it anyway and loved it. Had you listened to the critics you would have missed out on a great movie.
    True. I read reviews regarding the dna for a week or so, and went in the store everyday for a few days to play around with the different phones before ultimately making my decision. I knew I was going to get a contract with Verizon because of the service, and the two flagships that really caught my eye were the note 2 and DNA. So once I knew it was between the note 2 and the dna, it was a matter of reading reviews, and ultimately the feel in my hand.
    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    05-12-2013 05:42 PM
    You're my new favourite.

No no. Michael portnoy of dream theater makes neal pert look like an amateur! Lol!
    05-14-2013 11:18 AM
    As a long time reader and occasional poster, I find this post by you more than a bit hypocritical. You've been in your share of dust ups as well. In fact the term "bully" and "condescending" would come to mind when I would read some of your posts. You have performed in the very manner you now decry. Although, I do agree with the overall tenor of what you just posted.
    People who live in glass houses...
    I feel you've misjudged me and missed the meaning of my post. It's not about the arguing. I'm fine with a good argument and don't get offended if things escalate periodically. This was about the sheer number of identical hate-threads, started in both forums in the last few months, designed to incite perpetual riots. There is no need starting this same thread over and over and over. Because it was becoming every thread, meaning no other discussions could be had without leading us all back to the same place: the GS4 is better than the One is better than the GS4 because plastic and batteries and aluminum and megapixels. I, like many of us here, got sucked in. But when everyone started crying uncle and saying enough is enough, these threads were multiplying, getting more and more venomous between some people. It was spilling into everything and ruining it for many of us, new members and old alike.

I'm sorry that you think I'm a hypocrite because I said that. I've had my share of pissing contests, sure. It tends to happen when you're passionate about things and we're all pretty passionate about our tech here. But I don't think I've ever bullied anyone. I've never had a problem apologizing if someone was offended by a post or if I felt I was out of line myself. I've made it a point to stop replying to certain people regarding certain topics because it would get so frustrating trying to make a point until I realized they didn't really want a discussion. Like the removeable battery thread-bombing. I recognized a while ago that it was always more of a shouting match so I just stopped. But condescending? I don't really think so. I'm sure I have been because nothing is absolute. I am sarcastic and I think that can get interpreted as condescension pretty easily. I don't feel I live in a glass house, but I do recognize I have a bunch of windows.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-14-2013 11:55 AM
    For those of you who are still deciding between the One and GS4, then you'll have to check out the GSMArena showdown:
    Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One: Army of two - GSMArena.com
    badbrad17 likes this.
    05-14-2013 12:03 PM
    Let's get this thread back on topic. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    tohio likes this.
    05-14-2013 12:11 PM
    Someone just posted a battery life problem thread in the One forums and as I was about to respond, I realized I'd have to tell him to download a battery monitoring application to be able to tell me how much screen time he's used. Then I really couldn't be bothered to go into the Play Store to find one so I ended up not responding.

It's the little things with Sense that still bother me. No toggles in the notification area, no on screen time in the battery stats, no brightness adjuster in the notification area, the whole app drawer/dock icons fiasco. It's such a beautiful UI, but it's missing some core things.
    badbrad17 likes this.
    05-14-2013 02:33 PM
    Someone just posted a battery life problem thread in the One forums and as I was about to respond, I realized I'd have to tell him to download a battery monitoring application to be able to tell me how much screen time he's used. Then I really couldn't be bothered to go into the Play Store to find one so I ended up not responding.

It's the little things with Sense that still bother me. No toggles in the notification area, no on screen time in the battery stats, no brightness adjuster in the notification area, the whole app drawer/dock icons fiasco. It's such a beautiful UI, but it's missing some core things.
    Eric, I'm a big HTC fan and love their phones. But while I loved the new HTC One, I found between the button placement and the tiny UI issues you pointed out really bothered me a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great phone. I could clearly DL a bunch of apps to make it more of my style. But to not have the little things in the UI just seems so unpolished in this day and age. I'm glad I chose the GS4.

badbrad17 likes this.
    05-14-2013 03:07 PM
    Eric, I'm a big HTC fan and love their phones. But while I loved the new HTC One, I found between the button placement and the tiny UI issues you pointed out really bothered me a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great phone. I could clearly DL a bunch of apps to make it more of my style. But to not have the little things in the UI just seems so unpolished in this day and age. I'm glad I chose the GS4.

Wow these are great comments. I have been pretty much decided on the One but am having some second thoughts.

05-15-2013 12:43 AM
    Wow these are great comments. I have been pretty much decided on the One but am having some second thoughts.

Use them both. Pick which one you like best.
    05-15-2013 01:22 AM
    Use them both. Pick which one you like best.
    It's actually for my wife. I think the One suits her better. It's more stylish. But I'm going to play with both tomorrow.

05-15-2013 01:41 AM
    It's actually for my wife. I think the One suits her better. It's more stylish. But I'm going to play with both tomorrow.

Brad, Kevin is right. Play with both. I had the "one" for 13 days and the only thing that deterred me away and into the arms of an S4 was it's BT problems. I fixed it for the most part but it still wasn't right. But don't think the S4 isn't without it's problems because it has a few. Battery life for one comes to mind. I have another upgrade coming on July 1st and I will be picking up the "one" to use as my daily driver, because I like it that much, and giving my S4 to my daughter (she just broke her photon Q last night and is using an OG Evo.).

As for the Neal Pert and Mike Portnoy comment.......I know this!! That's why I put "Lol" after my comment. I've been a drummer most of my life and a huge Rush and Dream Theater fan ever since I can remember (I'm 41). They both have a style of their own and neither is better than the other but I just prefer the heavier side of music so I lean more towards Portnoy.
    badbrad17 likes this.
    05-15-2013 03:24 AM

Precisely correct. I gave my One to my teenage daughter. The One is high on flash and and sizzle but it's ergonomics leaves a lot to be desired. But they're both great devices and there are things on the One I wish the S4 had.
    05-15-2013 06:44 AM
    I don't know about the us site but cnet UK are awful. They are so smug and so busy most of the time giving each other reach-arounds that their reviews are awful.

BigDinCA and Russ Smith like this.
    05-15-2013 07:06 AM

One problem with the HTC One that I wasn't aware of until this morning is dead pixels. Check out the HTC One forum on this site and a similar article on the XDA site. A side by side comparison is essential but the dead pixel issue is something that probably wouldn't be evident in the store.

Edit: I think they are actually called stuck pixels.
    badbrad17 likes this.
    05-15-2013 07:13 AM
    One problem with the HTC One that I wasn't aware of until this morning is dead pixels. Check out the HTC One forum on this site and a similar article on the XDA site. A side by side comparison is essential but the dead pixel issue is something that probably wouldn't be evident in the store.

Edit: I think they are actually called stuck pixels.
    I picked up the HTC One today and think it is a nice phone. The SGS4 was stunning but in Canada the S4 was $160 more after my phone trade in (I gave them my old blackberry. I couldn't justify paying that much more.

The One was very odd to use at first as I am using a nexus 4 with Nova launcher. But after a while it got easier. I ended up putting Nova on it after all and I like it better.

The camera was crazy good in low light. I took a photo in a very dark closet and the photo was incredibly bright.

My wife is already having a hard time adjusting to the phone after using a blackberry for 6 years. We will see if she can hang in there and get comfortable with it.

Aquila and TomsAndroid like this.
    05-16-2013 02:26 AM
191 ... 5678