CNET Smackdown S4 v. One

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help. Both the "one" and S4 are configured for cdma/lte by default. As soon as I thought of that....I changed it to cdma only and it magically stopped overheating. The "one" never got hot so I guess HTC's handle it's radios better. Thanks for your help :)

You shouldn't need to turn LTE off. I use LTE all day at work and it doesn't get hot at all. Overheating, heavy lag after the update, etc sounds like you've got a defective device.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
You shouldn't need to turn LTE off. I use LTE all day at work and it doesn't get hot at all. Overheating, heavy lag after the update, etc sounds like you've got a defective device.

Im not in an lte coverage area. But there still is 4g wimax in the area. So im guessing it's polling for an lte signal but only getting wimax signal which this phone doesnt support. And yeah, I still have lag. My s3 ran better than ghis.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
partially. The moderator-only discussions that aren't visible to regular forum members isn't a completely leak-free vault ;)

I confess my guilt in taking a jab at Nissan owners. I promise to stop as long as we can all admit Neal Peart is the greatest drummer of all time...

:p

Hell yes!

Born in my hometown too.

Posted via Android Central App

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have both and I honestly can't say that one is better than the other. In a perfect world we would be able to breed them and produce the perfect phone. It really is like having to pick between two hot chicks who happen to be twins. Can you go wrong with either choice if you had to choose one?

Personally I'm leaning towards the One but I've only been using the gs4 for a day. I'm going to use it for a couple weeks with an open mind and then make a decision if I can. If not I may just keep both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
True indeed the video was very neutral and seemed unbiased......With that said both companys took a different direction to execute their goal whether its picture sound display ui I mean it all definitely comes down to preference with that i would have a 13 mp, 2 micron camera with the gorilla glass 3 super LCD 4.8 in screen snapdragon 600 I do prefer sense so I would go that direction.... 64gb in bedded don't care if battery is removable or not so. And yes front facing speakers I rather love that also have beats audio react more like a equalizer so I can customize my audio w/o using a 3rd party app...

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
One thing few reviews mention is the ease of repair of the two phones. Obviously the reason is 90% or more of their readers/viewers won't be disassembling the phones. But on a site like this, where users are much more tech savvy, the ease of disassembly might be of interest. iFixit rated the two phones on their ease of repair as follows:
Galaxy S 4 - 8 out of 10
HTC One - 1 out of 10
(1 being the most difficult to repair 10 being the easiest to repair)
Some sites say the HTC One is impossible to repair. Just one more thing to consider when choosing between the two phones (if ease of repair is important to you).

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
If htc took some of Samsung's features, added a micro SD slot (or give a 128gb option at a reasonable price) , made the battery replaceable, clocked the CPU how Samsung did, used the faster RAM, they would have had the perfect PHONE.

PERFECT.

Maybe a third party manufacturer will learn from both phone makers and outdo them both.

It would be hilarious is if Pantech, Huawei, or LG, Sony, or any other second rate phone maker did it and perfected the phone.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
While I'm on the subject: another thing to consider is the battery issue. If you are a power user (old computer software term) the issue of extended battery life might be important. I'm not talking about the average user who is happy with an all day battery charge. I'm talking about the potential HTC One or GS 4 buyer who would consider a case with a battery included (HTC One) or additional batteries and a stand alone charger (S4). I just purchased two S4 batteries and a stand alone charger for $20. A case with battery for the HTC One can cost up to $99.. Just something to consider if longer than normal battery life is important to you.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
If htc ... added a micro SD slot (or give a 128gb option at a reasonable price) ... they would have had the perfect PHONE.

It's a freaking PHONE. Not a computer. How much storage do you need? Or, rather, how much will you be using when not connected to data? Because a lot can be stored in the cloud...

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
It's a freaking PHONE. Not a computer. How much storage do you need? Or, rather, how much will you be using when not connected to data? Because a lot can be stored in the cloud...

I've already broken down why cloud storage will NEVER replace local storage so this is a moot point.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
While I'm on the subject: another thing to consider is the battery issue. If you are a power user (old computer software term) the issue of extended battery life might be important. I'm not talking about the average user who is happy with an all day battery charge. I'm talking about the potential HTC One or GS 4 buyer who would consider a case with a battery included (HTC One) or additional batteries and a stand alone charger (S4). I just purchased two S4 batteries and a stand alone charger for $20. A case with battery for the HTC One can cost up to $99.. Just something to consider if longer than normal battery life is important to you.
I just have an Anker 5600mAh portable battery charger for when I have no power options which is so rare. Typically when I'm on a plane. It's super small. The removable batteries still need to be carried around so I think the removable option has very little benefit. Especially considering that both the S4 and the One have respectable batteries. We have come a long way since the SGS2 and Galaxy Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Ya my Nexus 4 is only 16gb and I still have 5gb of space. I can't imagine ever needing more than 32gb even with my entire music collection and movies loaded. I guess Hustleman has deeper needs for storage so the SD card is good. I know many people like it for backing things up after rooting etc.

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Interesting thought on the repairability of both phones...makes me question HTCs willingness/ability to fix/replace phones if a major issue would arise! Now I'm not about to say they will have problems BUT, we are already hearing whispers of signal quality issues, who knows?
Yes, I own an S4, but Samsung's willingness to swap my original GS3 out for a new one due to the call drop issue, actually made me trust them MORE! Learned long ago, everyone makes mistakes, it's how you deal with those mistakes that defines you! Samsung admitted the problem and made it right!
I'm not as sure HTC would be willing to do the same with this device build and the financial position they are in!!! Past personal history with them did nothing to foster trust either!

Side note; If this signal issue does prove to be a real problem, and yes I have seen it in person, I'm not so sure it would be fixable! Seems to make sence to me that it is more of a product of the pretty aluminum construction then something internal...somewhat akin to the Iphone 4 or the Asus Transformer Prime tablet

Cheers

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
If htc took some of Samsung's features, added a micro SD slot (or give a 128gb option at a reasonable price) , made the battery replaceable, clocked the CPU how Samsung did, used the faster RAM, they would have had the perfect PHONE.

PERFECT.

Maybe a third party manufacturer will learn from both phone makers and outdo them both.

It would be hilarious is if Pantech, Huawei, or LG, Sony, or any other second rate phone maker did it and perfected the phone.

I would hardly call Sony second rate, after reading AC's review of the latest Xperia phone.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Check out this new phone from Oppo. Looks like it covers everything you could ask for. I highly respect this guy's opinion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv-Dx78M3ec&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Love that they do updates biweekly based on user feedback.

I'm quite impressed. I wish something like that would show up here in the US and would be able to get biweekly updates on a major carrier.

With updates or features done by user request, I would toss my week old S4 out quite quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC