CNET Smackdown S4 v. One

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't call them top tier either though.
I've only seen one person ever with a Sony phone

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Not top tier in popularity, it's merely the same situation HTC is in. They make good phones, they just don't market them nearly as well as they should.

Posted via Android Central App

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Not top tier in popularity, it's merely the same situation HTC is in. They make good phones, they just don't market them nearly as well as they should.

Htc is looked at as a higher quality phone maker than Sony though.

A lot of people don't even know Sony makes phones.

I don't recall seeing any on sprint, t mobile, or Verizon (recently)

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm quite impressed. I wish something like that would show up here in the US and would be able to get biweekly updates on a major carrier.

With updates or features done by user request, I would toss my week old S4 out quite quickly.

Nice phone, nice price but no LTE equal no sale 4 me.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I just have an Anker 5600mAh portable battery charger for when I have no power options which is so rare. Typically when I'm on a plane. It's super small. The removable batteries still need to be carried around so I think the removable option has very little benefit. Especially considering that both the S4 and the One have respectable batteries. We have come a long way since the SGS2 and Galaxy Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Um, you do have to carry around the battery charger don't you? Looking at it on the web it seems like 4 or more S4 batteries could fit in the space taken up by the charger. I really don't understand your comment about having to carry around spare batteries negating the benefit of having a removable option. Your portable charger is bigger than several batteries. Could you elaborate?

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Um, you do have to carry around the battery charger don't you? Looking at it on the web it seems like 4 or more S4 batteries could fit in the space taken up by the charger. I really don't understand your comment about having to carry around spare batteries negating the benefit of having a removable option. Your portable charger is bigger than several batteries. Could you elaborate?

The portable charger also holds the capacity of several batteries.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

But you still have to charge the phone.

You charge the battery pack then charge the phone with it, that's twice the charging time.

Why not charge a battery ONCE and pop into the phone and your phone is automatically 100% charged.

They double charging isn't cool

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Another thing that is a plus for a removable battery is that I can put in an extend life battery. No need for a portable charger or spare batteries in most situations.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I was first shocked that the htc one won over the iphone. Then this happen and I was like wow. Which means that the s4 beats the iphone as well. The first time ever that I have seen this on cnet.

That should come as no surprise (former iPhone user who has seen the light after many, many attempts @ iOS). Android for life.

- - - Updated - - -

Lets not get carried away lol s4 beat the one by a hundredth of a point.

A win is a win, no matter the margin of victory. Just ask anyone who has one by 1/100th of a second on the race track, track and field, horse racing, etc. LOL.:p

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm quite impressed. I wish something like that would show up here in the US and would be able to get biweekly updates on a major carrier.

With updates or features done by user request, I would toss my week old S4 out quite quickly.

You can buy one unlocked online. Just like s Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I actually refer to cnet as well as android central, as my two main review sites when trying to determine whether a phone purchase is worth it.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA
I prefer to use my own value judgement when in the market to purchase. It's interesting to read the reviews to find out about specs, but in order to truly know if a purchase is worth my money, I have to have hands on time. A phone is a decent sized investment. I normally buy the device I'm seriously considering for a test drive. Then and only then can I know what is best for me. Nobody else, whether that be my best friend, or CNET can do that for me. It's no different than hearing that all the critics panned a movie but you went to see it anyway and loved it. Had you listened to the critics you would have missed out on a great movie.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Your proof is horribly biased. I see plenty of gangbanging wannabes driving Camrys, Corollas, Accords, AND CIVICS. Nissan, Toyota, and Honda all compete on the same level. They are the 3 big Japanese makers.
Furthermore, Nissan is priced competitively along with every other non luxury midsize sedan, including Toyota and Honda. Check the best selling midsize cars for the month of April 2013. The Nissan Altima was number on the list.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Come on, man! Why is this a thread? Another f'ing thread... because there weren't 40 identical ones to post that link in? Nobody would have found their way over to that tiny little tech site on their own? This is ridiculous. Like a bunch of petulant children here. If you can't get the last word in on a thread, start another and get the first word in over there. If you weren't happy bashing the moderators time and time again in one thread, just search for the latest "GS4 vs One" thread (trust me - some enormous tool is bound to start one every day) and you can keep going at it. You can say it happens "like clockwork" all you want, but you're part of the problem and you keep winding that clock. This thread was flying off the rails halfway through the first page. And the moderators, who love to say "don't feed the trolls", apparently roll around here with garbage bags full Red Vines and Doritos, Cheez-it's and Red Bull, because they can't stop themselves from feeding everyone. And then there are the lurkers who just pop in to stir the pot in case things actually start to settle down a bit. Good Lord, it's like The Warriors in here.

Then a bunch of us stupidly come to this thread, clicking on the "Trending Now" link, only to find the usual suspects in another pissing contest over which fans are more obnoxious and why moderators shouldn't be allowed to have opinions. Then there's the "don't talk about lag on my GS4! You're a filthy liar!" guys who are immediately followed by the jerkoff posting "meh, the GS4 sucks. HTC FTW!". (On a side-note, anyone who uses "meh" and "FTW" in a post should have their login revoked and YOLO tattooed on their forehead). While "you better not be talking about me" and "I'm not getting sucked into this again, except for these next 10 posts" get plastered all over the forums and you nincompoops stand around with your arms folded and your chests thrust out like your **** don't stink, you are making this place very not-fun for the rest of us.

There's no more lively debate. No more geeking-out as a community. We can't talk about battery technology without the "non-removable batteries are stupid" snipers. We can't discuss anything regarding manufacturing or build-quality because "plastic sucks, can't you get that through your thick head?" and there will be blood spilled at some point. I can't talk about something on my phone that I don't like or that isn't right because I know the thread will become a "that's because your phone is a POS and my phone is powered by the blood of the baby Jesus" fiasco. For the record - that isn't real helpful, just telling someone their phone sucks. It's not why most of us started coming here in the first place. I lurked around here for over a year before I signed up because it was a little intimidating, seeing all these people who seemed to know what they were talking about and not wanting to sound like a total moron. But people were welcoming and wanted to help, so it was good. But some of you guys have turned into a virus that just keeps spreading and infecting every damn thread you post in. The sad thing is, we never know when you all are going to show up. We just know that you will. Thanks for screwing it all up for the rest of us.
As a long time reader and occasional poster, I find this post by you more than a bit hypocritical. You've been in your share of dust ups as well. In fact the term "bully" and "condescending" would come to mind when I would read some of your posts. You have performed in the very manner you now decry. Although, I do agree with the overall tenor of what you just posted.
People who live in glass houses...

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Let's keep the discussion civil and on topic.

The regulars here should know better than to respond in the way that some chose to do.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2