CNET Smackdown S4 v. One

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I prefer to use my own value judgement when in the market to purchase. It's interesting to read the reviews to find out about specs, but in order to truly know if a purchase is worth my money, I have to have hands on time. A phone is a decent sized investment. I normally buy the device I'm seriously considering for a test drive. Then and only then can I know what is best for me. Nobody else, whether that be my best friend, or CNET can do that for me. It's no different than hearing that all the critics panned a movie but you went to see it anyway and loved it. Had you listened to the critics you would have missed out on a great movie.

True. I read reviews regarding the dna for a week or so, and went in the store everyday for a few days to play around with the different phones before ultimately making my decision. I knew I was going to get a contract with Verizon because of the service, and the two flagships that really caught my eye were the note 2 and DNA. So once I knew it was between the note 2 and the dna, it was a matter of reading reviews, and ultimately the feel in my hand.
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
As a long time reader and occasional poster, I find this post by you more than a bit hypocritical. You've been in your share of dust ups as well. In fact the term "bully" and "condescending" would come to mind when I would read some of your posts. You have performed in the very manner you now decry. Although, I do agree with the overall tenor of what you just posted.
People who live in glass houses...
I feel you've misjudged me and missed the meaning of my post. It's not about the arguing. I'm fine with a good argument and don't get offended if things escalate periodically. This was about the sheer number of identical hate-threads, started in both forums in the last few months, designed to incite perpetual riots. There is no need starting this same thread over and over and over. Because it was becoming every thread, meaning no other discussions could be had without leading us all back to the same place: the GS4 is better than the One is better than the GS4 because plastic and batteries and aluminum and megapixels. I, like many of us here, got sucked in. But when everyone started crying uncle and saying enough is enough, these threads were multiplying, getting more and more venomous between some people. It was spilling into everything and ruining it for many of us, new members and old alike.

I'm sorry that you think I'm a hypocrite because I said that. I've had my share of pissing contests, sure. It tends to happen when you're passionate about things and we're all pretty passionate about our tech here. But I don't think I've ever bullied anyone. I've never had a problem apologizing if someone was offended by a post or if I felt I was out of line myself. I've made it a point to stop replying to certain people regarding certain topics because it would get so frustrating trying to make a point until I realized they didn't really want a discussion. Like the removeable battery thread-bombing. I recognized a while ago that it was always more of a shouting match so I just stopped. But condescending? I don't really think so. I'm sure I have been because nothing is absolute. I am sarcastic and I think that can get interpreted as condescension pretty easily. I don't feel I live in a glass house, but I do recognize I have a bunch of windows.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Someone just posted a battery life problem thread in the One forums and as I was about to respond, I realized I'd have to tell him to download a battery monitoring application to be able to tell me how much screen time he's used. Then I really couldn't be bothered to go into the Play Store to find one so I ended up not responding.

It's the little things with Sense that still bother me. No toggles in the notification area, no on screen time in the battery stats, no brightness adjuster in the notification area, the whole app drawer/dock icons fiasco. It's such a beautiful UI, but it's missing some core things.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Someone just posted a battery life problem thread in the One forums and as I was about to respond, I realized I'd have to tell him to download a battery monitoring application to be able to tell me how much screen time he's used. Then I really couldn't be bothered to go into the Play Store to find one so I ended up not responding.

It's the little things with Sense that still bother me. No toggles in the notification area, no on screen time in the battery stats, no brightness adjuster in the notification area, the whole app drawer/dock icons fiasco. It's such a beautiful UI, but it's missing some core things.

Eric, I'm a big HTC fan and love their phones. But while I loved the new HTC One, I found between the button placement and the tiny UI issues you pointed out really bothered me a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great phone. I could clearly DL a bunch of apps to make it more of my style. But to not have the little things in the UI just seems so unpolished in this day and age. I'm glad I chose the GS4.

Posted via Android Central App

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Eric, I'm a big HTC fan and love their phones. But while I loved the new HTC One, I found between the button placement and the tiny UI issues you pointed out really bothered me a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great phone. I could clearly DL a bunch of apps to make it more of my style. But to not have the little things in the UI just seems so unpolished in this day and age. I'm glad I chose the GS4.

Wow these are great comments. I have been pretty much decided on the One but am having some second thoughts.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
It's actually for my wife. I think the One suits her better. It's more stylish. But I'm going to play with both tomorrow.

Brad, Kevin is right. Play with both. I had the "one" for 13 days and the only thing that deterred me away and into the arms of an S4 was it's BT problems. I fixed it for the most part but it still wasn't right. But don't think the S4 isn't without it's problems because it has a few. Battery life for one comes to mind. I have another upgrade coming on July 1st and I will be picking up the "one" to use as my daily driver, because I like it that much, and giving my S4 to my daughter (she just broke her photon Q last night and is using an OG Evo.).

As for the Neal Pert and Mike Portnoy comment.......I know this!! That's why I put "Lol" after my comment. I've been a drummer most of my life and a huge Rush and Dream Theater fan ever since I can remember (I'm 41). They both have a style of their own and neither is better than the other but I just prefer the heavier side of music so I lean more towards Portnoy. :)

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
It's actually for my wife. I think the One suits her better. It's more stylish. But I'm going to play with both tomorrow.

Precisely correct. I gave my One to my teenage daughter. The One is high on flash and and sizzle but it's ergonomics leaves a lot to be desired. But they're both great devices and there are things on the One I wish the S4 had.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about the us site but cnet UK are awful. They are so smug and so busy most of the time giving each other reach-arounds that their reviews are awful.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

One problem with the HTC One that I wasn't aware of until this morning is dead pixels. Check out the HTC One forum on this site and a similar article on the XDA site. A side by side comparison is essential but the dead pixel issue is something that probably wouldn't be evident in the store.

Edit: I think they are actually called stuck pixels.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
One problem with the HTC One that I wasn't aware of until this morning is dead pixels. Check out the HTC One forum on this site and a similar article on the XDA site. A side by side comparison is essential but the dead pixel issue is something that probably wouldn't be evident in the store.

Edit: I think they are actually called stuck pixels.
I picked up the HTC One today and think it is a nice phone. The SGS4 was stunning but in Canada the S4 was $160 more after my phone trade in (I gave them my old blackberry. I couldn't justify paying that much more.

The One was very odd to use at first as I am using a nexus 4 with Nova launcher. But after a while it got easier. I ended up putting Nova on it after all and I like it better.

The camera was crazy good in low light. I took a photo in a very dark closet and the photo was incredibly bright.

My wife is already having a hard time adjusting to the phone after using a blackberry for 6 years. We will see if she can hang in there and get comfortable with it.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It's funny how some are so brand loyal. Whichever phone I buy I always think the OTHER phone is better because I only see the flaws in mine. I rule out the One for a funny reason, I love multicolor led.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It's funny how some are so brand loyal. Whichever phone I buy I always think the OTHER phone is better because I only see the flaws in mine. I rule out the One for a funny reason, I love multicolor led.

I think what gets lost in this whole thing is the ridiculous amount of choices we have now. The One doesn't have removable storage or a removable battery, but has more internal storage available and has a developer edition. The S4 has a removable battery, expandable memory, and a Nexus-like Google edition. If the price point is too high for the Dev/Google versions of these phones, you can get a Nexus 4 for $350 off contract.

I've enjoyed my time with the S4. It's nowhere near as offensive as some tech sites/reviewers would have you believe. I'll be taking another crack at the HTC One so I can properly review that, too.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Does Light Flow work on it do make it multicolor?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Does Light Flow work on it do make it multicolor?

Light flow can't make 2 color led into multicolor led. In the tbolt it did give you a third color by mixing red and green to get yellow but you had to be rooted.

I want the google gs4 so badly it makes. me ache. I wouldn't hesitate to pay full price but I am stuck with Verizon.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Light flow can't make 2 color led into multicolor led. In the tbolt it did give you a third color by mixing red and green to get yellow but you had to be rooted.

I want the google gs4 so badly it makes. me ache. I wouldn't hesitate to pay full price but I am stuck with Verizon.
What about getting the new stock Android S4 from the Play store will this not work on Verizon?