I have smart stay on but it does not work the screen dims and the eye sensor does not light up
    05-08-2013 04:37 PM
    It has to find your eyes... I say it works 70%, it won't work 100% of the time

Posted with my Galaxy S4 Exynos via Android Central App
    satannik likes this.
    05-08-2013 04:46 PM
    It seemed to work the first few days I got it and I another question I was using the navigation and instead of the display staying bright it would go dim?
    05-08-2013 07:26 PM
    Remember that for this feature to work the camera has to be able to discern your eyes CLEARLY. This means no funky viewing angles, no dark glasses or tinted ones (actually wearing glasses usually reduces your chances for it to work, but it's not all the time), and DEFINITELY no dark environment. If in doubt, take a picture of yourself using the front camera and see if your eyes are clearly visible and defined from the rest of your facial features.
    05-08-2013 11:08 PM
    There is a setting for this, where the screen dims in between instructions, just find the correct setting in the app
    05-09-2013 06:57 AM
    Do you know what the setting is called
    05-09-2013 07:43 AM
    Seems to me 3/4 of these new "gimmicks" don't seem to work too great. Smart Stay ain't so smart.
    06-02-2013 08:48 PM
    It does not react well if you are wearing glasses. Mine doesn't.

-S4
    06-04-2013 01:29 PM
    I have the same problem. Here's what I see happening:

The Smart Stay icon (looks like a little flying saucer) in the notification bar is usually grayed out.

A few seconds before the screen is set to time out, it looks for your eyes and flashes white.

So you could be looking at the screen continuously, but if you look away for just those few seconds, the screen will blank.

To get a feel for what it's doing, set the timeout to 15 seconds and watch the icon.

And it doesn't like my glasses either.
    06-10-2013 12:24 PM
    try it with your glasses off. or move the phone further away from you. I wear glasses doesn't work when I am holding phone but sitting in desk in holder it won't go dark unless I turn it so it can't see my eyes.
    06-19-2013 06:46 PM
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.keepscreenon

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 with a 7000mah extended battery... Because I'm not a chick with dainty hands or an HTC one user
    06-19-2013 06:51 PM
    I have the same problem. Here's what I see happening:

The Smart Stay icon (looks like a little flying saucer) in the notification bar is usually grayed out.

A few seconds before the screen is set to time out, it looks for your eyes and flashes white.

So you could be looking at the screen continuously, but if you look away for just those few seconds, the screen will blank.
    I've seen this happen on mine, but even if I look continuously, after it flashes white it immediately dims and then goes black in most cases. I just tried in a fairly well lit room, and Smart Stay finally worked when I actually had my head facing the light. It didn't work even if I was just tuned ninety degrees from the light in the same chair. Seems pretty useless if I have to actually face a light for the thing to see me.
    01-11-2014 10:56 PM
    I'm using a brand-new Samsung S5. There is not a greyed-out eyeball icon. The icon flashes on just before the time-out limit is reached, and sometimes it works if I have my glasses off. Problem is, I need glasses to read. Spoke to Samsung Tech Support, they basically said "sorry".
    06-16-2014 04:20 PM