10-11-2013 06:01 PM
48 12
tools
    No it isn't. That's for the time it takes the screen to turn off. This is something else entirely.
    Granted I am new to android but when I changed my setting it dimmed the display
    After a set time didnt out right turn it off. Maybe im wrong.
    05-09-2013 01:22 AM
    Go to settings/display/ scroll down to auto adjust screen tone...make sure its checked off....Bingo!
    05-09-2013 01:26 AM
    This is most likely throttling, for thermal concerns. I noticed it too. Pretty unfortunate. The screen was already dim enough. Combined with the weak auto and not giving you full access to the phone's brightness with manual, it really hampers the screen experience. Pretty sure it does this with EVERY browser, not just the Samsung one.
    05-09-2013 01:45 AM
    the browser has its own in-house brightness settings...make sure it isn't on auto or whatever
    05-09-2013 01:48 AM
    the browser has its own in-house brightness settings...make sure it isn't on auto or whatever
    Using chrome.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    05-09-2013 02:36 AM
    Mine does that too! It's annoying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    05-09-2013 02:56 AM
    I was just using Chrome in the dark (can't sleep) and it dimmed and then went back to full brightness. Odd behavior for sure. In regular light you probably wouldn't even notice it.

05-09-2013 03:50 AM
    Does all of yours go really dim?
    Mine only goes about 2% dimmer, nothing too extraordinary
    05-10-2013 04:42 PM
    Does all of yours go really dim?
    Mine only goes about 2% dimmer, nothing too extraordinary
    Its enough to notice.

05-10-2013 05:27 PM
    Do all you guys have Auto Adjust Screen Tone checked and Power Saver Mode on? Or one and not the other?
    05-10-2013 05:31 PM
    Do all you guys have Auto Adjust Screen Tone checked and Power Saver Mode on? Or one and not the other?
    This happens with both off. It is an unavoidable system-wide brightness throttling implemented by Samsung. Pretty much, it's like a Power-Saver mode that you can't disable.
    05-10-2013 06:16 PM
    This happens with both off. It is an unavoidable system-wide brightness throttling implemented by Samsung. Pretty much, it's like a Power-Saver mode that you can't disable.
    Sounds like BRITE to me. I had to read the whole thread before I saw the link between what you guys were saying.

Edit: I realized I said this and didn't explain. It's in the chipset. It stands for Backlight Reactive Illumination Technology. You can tweak it. It explains why you're seeing it in some apps as the devs can tune for battery savings.
    05-10-2013 06:31 PM
    It only happens when you're about to close a browser. It dims really quick, but it brightens back up right away. Almost certain this is something that can/will get fixed on the next update / patch.
    05-10-2013 08:37 PM
    I only see it dim very lightly when I close out a browser....I tried opening / closing other apps and it doesn't do it. Probably a fix on the next update or this is just what it's supposed to do to save power.
    05-10-2013 09:04 PM
    Sounds like BRITE to me. I had to read the whole thread before I saw the link between what you guys were saying.

Edit: I realized I said this and didn't explain. It's in the chipset. It stands for Backlight Reactive Illumination Technology. You can tweak it. It explains why you're seeing it in some apps as the devs can tune for battery savings.
    I'm curious about this. Do you have a link for more information?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    05-10-2013 09:09 PM
    I'm curious about this. Do you have a link for more information?

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/blog/2...iew-snapdragon

I don't know enough about the Exynos Octa yet to know if they have something equivalent.
    Kevin OQuinn likes this.
    05-10-2013 09:11 PM
    http://www.qualcomm.com/media/blog/2...iew-snapdragon

I don't know enough about the Exynos Octa yet to know if they have something equivalent.
    Thanks. They make specific mention of adjusting the backlight which AMOLED doesn't have. I wonder how that will function. Will need to do some digging.

05-10-2013 09:41 PM
    Thanks. They make specific mention of adjusting the backlight which AMOLED doesn't have. I wonder how that will function. Will need to do some digging.

Yeah I was looking to see if they had something similar that would effect Super AMOLED. Could just be a software tweak they made, too.

Also known as I'm on crack tonight and not even thinking.
    05-10-2013 09:57 PM
    Think this is the solution:

Galaxy S4 quick tip: Disable 'Auto adjust screen tone' for brighter whites | Android Central

Edit: well guess even with this disabled it still happens some.
    05-12-2013 10:28 AM
    Sorry for being a little late to this thread, but I had the same problem on my Note2 with the standard email and internet browser apps. The solution for me was to go into the power saver settings and either switch power saving off or disable the "Background Colour" option. Not sure if this would apply to the S4 as well, but I thought I'd just throw it out there. It annoyed the heck out of me for months, but all is OK with the world now.
    06-27-2013 08:54 AM
    I had the same issue with my S4. I also turned off all the auto display settings and it would still just haphazardly dim and brighten with no rhyme or reason. Primarily in Chrome, but also tested it in other browsers, SMemo and other apps. I triple-checked the display settings, turned off eye tracker, did a complete wipe/ hard reset, all to no avail.

Originally I was worried I had a defective unit. However now I believe its a pervasive issue with S4s because Ive exchanged 2 so far (on my 3rd), from 3 different cities (trying to avoid bad batch), and unfortunately the issue has been present in all 3.
    07-03-2013 01:15 AM
    The screen brightness fluctuations are annoying af since my screen is always on 0 brightness but I guess we have to deal. It's really nothing too major
    leroybrute likes this.
    07-03-2013 02:47 AM
    Same here. I've turned off all the settings mentioned in this thread and it still dims slightly when I'm browsing and gaming.

It's almost as if the "Auto Adjust Screen Tone" setting isn't being recognised when it's disabled - or something similar?

Anybody know when the next Samsung update is coming out?
    10-11-2013 06:01 PM
48 12