There IS a dimming issue with this phone

YankeeMike

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I went to BB mobile with my Note 2 and used the S4 side by side;

I used NY Times, ESPN, CNN, Washington Post & Google search.

On the S4 , you click on say a newspaper and you see a sweet bright white almost LED look to the background , then all of a sudden a "lulll ' of grayness appears?? WTH??

Why? doesn't do it on the Note 2 , which isn't as a "bright' BUT it's very close. However, whites are true on the N2 and stay white.

I had brightness all the way up , I tried vivd, pro and regular modes.

Alll showed the flash of white then the graying ?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I went to BB mobile with my Note 2 and used the S4 side by side;

I used NY Times, ESPN, CNN, Washington Post & Google search.

On the S4 , you click on say a newspaper and you see a sweet bright white almost LED look to the background , then all of a sudden a "lulll ' of grayness appears?? WTH??

Why? doesn't do it on the Note 2 , which isn't as a "bright' BUT it's very close. However, whites are true on the N2 and stay white.

I had brightness all the way up , I tried vivd, pro and regular modes.

Alll showed the flash of white then the graying ?

You may have to turn off the "Auto Adjust Screen Tone" under the Display Settings

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
What a difference compared to my hTc One.

I turned off the Auto Brightness & Screen Tone and still looks pale. I left the Auto Brightness on the One.

SHIFT_tapatalk 2 s4 SGH-I377M

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
What a difference compared to my hTc One.

I turned off the Auto Brightness & Screen Tone and still looks pale. I left the Auto Brightness on the One.

SHIFT_tapatalk 2 s4 SGH-I377M

You have to make it the same level as the One to compare them, one shouldnt be dimmer than the other...put them both on Full brightness to compare
Also use Dynamic Display on the GS4

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Same thing going on on mine, and I have auto screen tone disabled. When it loads a new page, it gets bright and then dims for no reason. I'm not sure why.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Same thing going on on mine, and I have auto screen tone disabled. When it loads a new page, it gets bright and then dims for no reason. I'm not sure why.

Do you have adapt display turned on? That will make your screen change colors and maybe even get dim too depending on what you are doing.

sent from my S4 using motion gestures!!!!

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Mine is set to movie. It will also change brightness at random times, even though auto brightness is off. Its very odd.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Mine is set to movie. It will also change brightness at random times, even though auto brightness is off. Its very odd.

I hate to say it, but I fear that you have a bad phone. I also fear that maybe there was a few bad batches and the ones with the issues may be the reason.

I'll try to use movie and test some more on this. Give me a sec and I'll be back.

YankeeMike

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
This what I saw in BB, I tried 30 site loads and there it was bright; then gray. I put my Note2 back in pocket and left.

NO way I could live with that.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry JHB but I can't recreate this issue no matter what settings I've tried. Movie and others work perfectly. No dimming that I can tell. I tied 4 different websites and now again on taptalk.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
This what I saw in BB, I tried 30 site loads and there it was bright; then gray. I put my Note2 back in pocket and left.

NO way I could live with that.

I wouldn't be able to live with that as well. Thankfully I dont have that issue.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
The one in the AT&T store was doing this. I thought it was some setting I was missing. I was setting it to Movie, brightness maxed, auto brightness off and it would load and dim. (adaptive was off as well)

Could it be some Power saving Mode causing it??

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Sorry JHB but I can't recreate this issue no matter what settings I've tried. Movie and others work perfectly. No dimming that I can tell. I tied 4 different websites and now again on taptalk.

Odd. Now mines not doing it either! I wonder if it had to do with the bright light behind me head at the time. I have most if the smart screen features off, but maybe theres a bug with the sensor? Regardless I'll keep an eye on it. Haven't noticed it until tonight, so it could just be a freak thing.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Mine does it in pretty much every app. I don't use the samsung browser so it can't change the brightness.

I don't notice any dimming on mine...it must be some setting or something
Try putting it on Dynamic Mode and see...thats what mine is on