In short: I'm swapping my Galaxy S4 with someone. I deleted my personal photos and have factory reset the phone about 8 times since. I want to make sure they can't recover the deleted data via any recovery software.

I had 20 personal pics on the device and a few videos; after my first factory reset I took 100 camera shots (I've read that the recovery software advise against doing so as it may overwrite stored data on the phones internal storage).

I also to no avail tried to root the phone so I could try the Play Store recovery apps to see if they were able to salvage my personal pics, but I was never able to root the phone properly and got sick of trying, it's a factory unlocked MDK version with the latest software.

All the conventional PC apps are useless to me despite their misleading SEOed out Galaxy S4 references because only external SD cards (which are mounted drives) can be utilized by such programs. None work as far as reading the MTP/PTP internal memory, which is what I'm trying to do, or figure a way to flash it/delete it in addition to my numerous factory resets.

Any advice, or, do you think (or know) the data would be gone by now?
    05-08-2013 11:35 PM
    In short: I'm swapping my Galaxy S4 with someone. I deleted my personal photos and have factory reset the phone about 8 times since. I want to make sure they can't recover the deleted data via any recovery software.

I had 20 personal pics on the device and a few videos; after my first factory reset I took 100 camera shots (I've read that the recovery software advise against doing so as it may overwrite stored data on the phones internal storage).

I also to no avail tried to root the phone so I could try the Play Store recovery apps to see if they were able to salvage my personal pics, but I was never able to root the phone properly and got sick of trying, it's a factory unlocked MDK version with the latest software.

All the conventional PC apps are useless to me despite their misleading SEOed out Galaxy S4 references because only external SD cards (which are mounted drives) can be utilized by such programs. None work as far as reading the MTP/PTP internal memory, which is what I'm trying to do, or figure a way to flash it/delete it in addition to my numerous factory resets.

Well I am pretty sure a factory reset will completely erase everything, but if you want the exra re-assurance, flashing the rom will pretty much replace ALL files, and no trace of your files should be left on the previous one
    05-08-2013 11:43 PM
    Well I am pretty sure a factory reset will completely erase everything, but if you want the exra re-assurance, flashing the rom will pretty much replace ALL files, and no trace of your files should be left on the previous one
    Does the phone need to be rooted to flash the ROM?
    05-08-2013 11:56 PM
    Does the phone need to be rooted to flash the ROM?
    No it doesn't, you can flash without root
    05-09-2013 12:01 AM
    Umm... no, you can't... You can't install new ROMs unless you're rooted, that's the whole point...

Also, from what I've read, factory-resetting your phone does NOT permanently delete all data. With some trickery you can always get it back. The only way to get rid of all data permanently is to do a low-level format, which, I believe, can only be done via ODIN or a factory dock/dongle. You can also try to fill up your memory with some other files, effectively overwriting the old data with new, 'useless' one.
    05-09-2013 01:16 AM
    Umm... no, you can't... You can't install new ROMs unless you're rooted, that's the whole point...

Also, from what I've read, factory-resetting your phone does NOT permanently delete all data. With some trickery you can always get it back. The only way to get rid of all data permanently is to do a low-level format, which, I believe, can only be done via ODIN or a factory dock/dongle. You can also try to fill up your memory with some other files, effectively overwriting the old data with new, 'useless' one.
    Thanks for clearing that up

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Exynos!
    05-09-2013 01:36 AM
    Then im screwed because the baseband ending in MDK apparently can't be "rooted".

I tried two different methods. First one said it was successful and the phone restarted, but then it said the Super User binary needed to be updated and it could never do that install and it said send the log file to developer. Second method with CMW, Odin never read my dang phone when it was connected despite my having followed all instructions to a T.
    05-09-2013 07:45 AM
    To be this worried about a few pics one must wonder what kind they were.

Good luck

______
    Sent from my mobile device
    Topgonzo and smooth4lyfe like this.
    05-09-2013 08:16 AM

Good luck

______
    Some people take privacy more seriously than others.

You can flash roms without being rooted. You'll need an unlocked bootloader and S-OFF I think. Maybe just unlocked bootloader. At least that's been the case for every phone I've owned.
    onick likes this.
    05-09-2013 08:28 AM

Good luck

______
    That's what I was thinking. LOL

This is why save everything on my microSD?
    05-09-2013 08:36 AM
    My device is factory unlocked so isn't my bootloader already good?

I've seriously exhausted myself searching, Android is so damn complicated, jailbreaking was not this hard. I just want 100% confirmation my internal memory is gone and cannot be recovered, i can't believe 8 reformats aren't enough. I did take more pics after factory resetting but seeing as they were not the same date/time I don't believe the file structure would get overwritten.

I know I don't have many posts but please help me someone. It would mean a lot to me.
    Some people take privacy more seriously than others.

You can flash roms without being rooted. You'll need an unlocked bootloader and S-OFF I think. Maybe just unlocked bootloader. At least that's been the case for every phone I've owned.
    05-09-2013 07:09 PM

You can probably use a PC software to do a FULL CLEAN of the phone when u connect it to the computer (The PC should see the phone as a drive). Do u really think the person ur swapping with will try that hard to recover your photos?
    05-09-2013 08:25 PM
    You can probably use a PC software to do a FULL CLEAN of the phone when u connect it to the computer (The PC should see the phone as a drive). Do u really think the person ur swapping with will try that hard to recover your photos?
    Well I see it as simple as, they jailbreak (ergo "root") the phone, and perhaps one day they try to recover something of their own and stumble across my stuff.

The phone doesn't get recognized as a drive on the PC, it comes up on USB storage mode as MTP/PTP and the recovery programs (even those specifically for Android Galaxy devices) note that these formats of storage cannot be used.

For all I know, maybe with my multiple factory resets and my having taken 4X the photos since I have nothing to worry about and the data is gone, but I don't know a way to check.
    05-09-2013 08:32 PM
    Hilarious and proves the point that Android users really don't even know their own platform, too damn confusing.

Seriously it's such a joke that I'd almost be willing to Paypal someone to give me what should be CLEAR AND SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS.
    05-09-2013 10:20 PM
    From what I know Androids are similar to computers. In the root of operating system there are always traces of activity and they can always be recovered with forensic software. When you do a factory reset all it does is replace your current data how ever, it doesn't go into the root of the system. May be with the new pictures that you took you were able to over ride the other ones but, you could never tell if you succeeded. I know there is a way to get into by pressing the power and volume buttons in a certain way to be able to get to the end just like you do when you reboot your Android into same mode. I was walked through when I had my HTC One S, by the technician at Tmobile and was able to clean the cache and left it practically brand new. You might want to go that route and contact technical support of your carrier. I hope this might at least give you an idea.
    05-09-2013 10:27 PM
    I'm going to try to root again and/or install a new firmware version. Would the new firmware clear memory?

EDIT: Just realized i have the i9500 not 9505
    05-09-2013 10:34 PM
    Such BS. Oudin never flashes yellow and detects phone in download mode, installed the Samsung drivers, its on uSB debug mode, im using the right one for my 9500, its such bs that its this difficult and that NOBODY HERE HAS A ******* CLUE
    onick likes this.
    05-09-2013 11:09 PM
    Ok so,
    I run the CWM TAR as a PDA, i get a green PASS, my phone reboots, but when i hit volume up home power, i go into "android system recovery", not "cwm recovery" with an option to then load from zip sd card so i can do the super user files........ ARGH..... man i cant believe not one person here can make this easier....

this dude in the video im with him until the 6 minute mark, ****S sake

Such BS. Oudin never flashes yellow and detects phone in download mode, installed the Samsung drivers, its on uSB debug mode, im using the right one for my 9500, its such bs that its this difficult and that NOBODY HERE HAS A ******* CLUE
    05-09-2013 11:24 PM
    Wish I knew something that would help out. I can say you just gave me another reason to second guess buying my first android device.
    If I can't just erase the phone and reinstall the OS and KNOW that my stuff is gone, even if its jailbroken. I don't think I will buy android.
    I use my phone for WAY too many person things to think that by selling it, all my crap is hidden down inside where a root can find and bring back all my info to anyone that uses it.

This may have been the straw that broke the camels back when it comes to be going away from iPhone.
    05-09-2013 11:59 PM
    Yeah dude it's a real pain in the ***. I will say this though, it is a nice device, and I may be a little impatient but I'm pretty good at following instructions but if I can't pick something up after hours something's wrong. I'm really annoyed but I'm just going to hold onto it, it does have advantages over my Blackberry but I really don't like how it feels like crap is hidden behind secret doors inside of the device. I'm a bit of a privacy freak and I happened to have a little fun with the 13mp camera suffice to say that I'd rather not risk it being easily backed up by someone who can manage to root the damn thing.
    05-10-2013 12:19 AM
    I know you're frustrated but remember, ROOTING IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE SIMPLE!!! And if you're really all that worried about your data being recovered, just encrypt the device!!! Even when you wipe data and even if someone would pick it up and recover it (no, they don't even need root access to do it, and they don't need to jailbreak an iPhone to do the very same so don't think iDevices are exempt of this... it's just not a simple method and it requires very specific tools), all your data is encrypted.

Apple's iPhone 5 and Samsung's S4 were the only ones that passed Pentagon certification to replace BlackBerries, remember? There's a reason for that.
    fantom305 likes this.
    05-10-2013 12:51 AM
    I wish I could provide a helpful answer to your problems but I can say if you used Odin to install a new firmware or factory restore the device then your data should be gone. Odin is a tool leaked our from Samsung a long time ago and is used to flash and update the entire device from OS, to the radios, partitions of the device, etc.. During the process of flashing with Odin it wipes the device completely, hence the reason why any instructions with Odin always say to backup your stuff if your doing a full firmware or software flashing with Odin. Only time Odin DOESN'T wipe the device is when your flashing just the custom recovery or flashing a new radio (modem) firmware.

I understand your flustered with the lack of helpful replies but do take into consideration this device is fresh off the shelves and only has had root and some early stage ROMs out for a couple days so you have to give the lack of helpful responses here a break due to this.

I also wouldn't let this experience cast a poor shadow on the overall image of Android. Normally you erase, factory reset or flash the stock software and forget about it.

Good luck!
    05-10-2013 01:25 AM
    The only thing I can say is go to xda-developers.com you should get answers there. I would suggest rooting and putting a custom recovery and wiping all caches and formatting data and.factory.resetting everything.the putting it back to stock. But I'm not sure where the.developers are with rooting because the new software update is blocking some things I know. Those must have been quite the pictures for all this trouble.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    05-10-2013 02:01 AM
    As an aside, an FBI-level secure wipe of a hard drive requires writing data to, and deleting that data, from a hard drive 33 times, I believe. You don't actually delete the data as much as scramble it so badly that it can never be re-assembled. I would assume that the very same sort of thing would be true for wiping your phone. I'm surprised no one has made software to do that. They have software to wipe your PC.
    05-10-2013 06:58 PM
    When in doubt about data recovery and after doing multiple factory resets, try loading the device up with data to fill it to capacity a few dozen times with a reset each time. This will at least overwrite the data areas each time and should make things pretty darn near impossible to recover. If the buyer is someone with skills that concern you about data recovery, I would seek out another buyer. I do share your concerns about data, so much of our lives are floating around just waiting for someone to snatch them out of the air and many others have no concerns what so ever about privacy. Good call to be cautious.
    05-11-2013 05:34 PM