05-11-2013 07:37 PM
80 ... 234
tools
    That is an educated guess as there is no possible way they could know just what type of bulk discount Samsung gets for ordering tens of millions of parts. My guess is the actual cost is at least $50 less.

Also the iPhone 5 is half a year old so the tech in it is older on general than what is on the S4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    In all honesty it wasn't very high tech when it was released.

Everything on it had been done already

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    05-11-2013 06:31 AM

All new one of any kind display and processor. Probably not cheap.

Things having been done before might not have a huge impact on cost. Especially when I comes to internal parts.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    05-11-2013 08:25 AM
    All new one of any kind display and processor. Probably not cheap.

Things having been done before might not have a huge impact on cost. Especially when I comes to internal parts.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    Especially when they're 100% custom and exclusive to Apple.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    05-11-2013 10:00 AM

Apple designs there own processors, ever stopped to think how expensive that would be?
    And the A6 is a very powerful chip.
    05-11-2013 07:04 PM
    Apple completely covers the cost of designing IOS, as well as the costs of all their services (icloud, mail, siri, maps, imessage, photo stream), none of which brings in revenue, but cost money to maintain. Samsung simply modifies stock Android (likely cheaper since Android comes free to begin with) and simply needs to direct users to Google's cloud services, none of which cost Samsung anything.

As mentioned above, designing their own processors completely in-house is not cheap either. It may not boast an impressive 8-cores, but remains a very capable piece of silicon in its own right. All these would simply not be possible without the iphone being priced the way it is.

Another main benefit Apple enjoys is incredible economies of scale. For example, using the same iphone design every 2 years lets them save a fortune on not having to replace their manufacturing equipment or research on an entirely new design ever so often), which is what will enable them to remain economically viable in the long run. What Samsung is doing now is trying to rake in market share by aggressively revamping their phones ever so often and flooding the market with all sorts of designs. I personally feel that is not a very financially sustainable model, not least because their products don't stay in the market long enough to reap the benefits of economies of scale from design and manufacturing.

Does anything still believe that the costs of manufacturing a smartphone (or any other product, really) involves just the raw materials? I suppose the blueprints just dropped out of the sky then?
    05-11-2013 07:37 PM
80 ... 234