S4 costs more than iPhone 5 to build

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Apples ideas are not old. Do Not Disturb mode was added to the iPhone months before the blocking mode on Samsung. S voice is also a clone of Siri(and worse at that)

Apple did not make Siri. They acquired it.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Apples ideas are not old. Do Not Disturb mode was added to the iPhone months before the blocking mode on Samsung. S voice is also a clone of Siri(and worse at that)

There were apps that performed that function on Android long before apple had it. It just worked better and! Customizable on Android

S voice DOES suck, i disabled it. No need for it, especially with Google Now

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
There were apps that performed that function on Android long before apple had it. It just worked better and! Customizable on Android

S voice DOES suck, i disabled it. No need for it, especially with Google Now

Yeah, I love google Now. It's much better then siri for information but Siri IMHO is better as a voice assistant. It allows you to open apps instantly(Now takes 20 seconds)music plays faster and for me Siri is just as accurate as Now.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I love google Now. It's much better then siri for information but Siri IMHO is better as a voice assistant. It allows you to open apps instantly(Now takes 20 seconds)music plays faster and for me Siri is just as accurate as Now.

I agree with you on everything except being just as accurate.

I HATE trying to talk to siri because it never hears what I'm saying the first time, on the other hand I rarely ever had to repeat myself with Google Now.

I love how you can throw a random number at it and ask for the square root and it gets it almost instantly

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you on everything except being just as accurate.

I HATE trying to talk to siri because it never hears what I'm saying the first time, on the other hand I rarely ever had to repeat myself with Google Now.

I love how you can throw a random number at it and ask for the square root and it gets it almost instantly

Actually I kinda agree it isn't as accurate as google now but Siri is a better voice assistant over now, Now is awesome for info but not for performing phone functoins.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Actually I kinda agree it isn't as accurate as google now but Siri is a better voice assistant over now, Now is awesome for info but not for performing phone functoins.

I think it's just as good at doing it but that lag from the instruction to actually doing it, siri has it beat.

I think that lag is intentional to make sure it heard the right command.

bergeronjc

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

That is an educated guess as there is no possible way they could know just what type of bulk discount Samsung gets for ordering tens of millions of parts. My guess is the actual cost is at least $50 less.

Also the iPhone 5 is half a year old so the tech in it is older on general than what is on the S4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
That is an educated guess as there is no possible way they could know just what type of bulk discount Samsung gets for ordering tens of millions of parts. My guess is the actual cost is at least $50 less.

Also the iPhone 5 is half a year old so the tech in it is older on general than what is on the S4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

In all honesty it wasn't very high tech when it was released.

Everything on it had been done already

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
In all honesty it wasn't very high tech when it was released.

Everything on it had been done already

All new one of any kind display and processor. Probably not cheap.

Things having been done before might not have a huge impact on cost. Especially when I comes to internal parts.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
All new one of any kind display and processor. Probably not cheap.

Things having been done before might not have a huge impact on cost. Especially when I comes to internal parts.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Especially when they're 100% custom and exclusive to Apple.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Apple completely covers the cost of designing IOS, as well as the costs of all their services (icloud, mail, siri, maps, imessage, photo stream), none of which brings in revenue, but cost money to maintain. Samsung simply modifies stock Android (likely cheaper since Android comes free to begin with) and simply needs to direct users to Google's cloud services, none of which cost Samsung anything.

As mentioned above, designing their own processors completely in-house is not cheap either. It may not boast an impressive 8-cores, but remains a very capable piece of silicon in its own right. All these would simply not be possible without the iphone being priced the way it is.

Another main benefit Apple enjoys is incredible economies of scale. For example, using the same iphone design every 2 years lets them save a fortune on not having to replace their manufacturing equipment or research on an entirely new design ever so often), which is what will enable them to remain economically viable in the long run. What Samsung is doing now is trying to rake in market share by aggressively revamping their phones ever so often and flooding the market with all sorts of designs. I personally feel that is not a very financially sustainable model, not least because their products don't stay in the market long enough to reap the benefits of economies of scale from design and manufacturing.

Does anything still believe that the costs of manufacturing a smartphone (or any other product, really) involves just the raw materials? I suppose the blueprints just dropped out of the sky then?