How many of you are trading the 16GB S4 for the 32 GB?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Having a Nexus 4, 16GB is sufficient for me. I use the cloud for pics and music and have about 60 "need to have apps".

But the new Nexus 4 has 12.5 or so GB free compared with less than 10 GB on the S4.

That has led me to wait for the 32 GB. Probably more than I need but for $50 over the 16GB I wanted the extra internal storage.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Last edited:

Newtoandroid99

May 13, 2012
Visit site
At first I was sure I was, but now I'm having second thoughts. I have my phone set up the way I want it and it works good. I'm not sure I really need the extra space as much as I just want it to have it.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Having a Nexus 4, 16GBid sufficient for me. I use the cloud for pics and music and have about 60 "need to have apps".

But the new Nexus 4 has 12.5 or so GB free compared with less than 10 GB on the S4.

That has led me to wait for the 32 GB. Probably more than I need but for $50 over the 16GB I wanted the extra internal storage.

Sent from my Nexus 4

I think if you haven't purchased the S4 yet that the 32GB is the way to go. The $50 extra isn't that steep, it can still be expanded via SD card, and it can be traded in/sold for more at the end of the day. Plus every purchase of the 32GB version shows there's a market for it and might prompt carriers to want to carry them in the future.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I look at the expanded memory as a bonus on two different fronts...

1. If you need the extra space for media storage then this is the right step, no need to worry about fried SD CARDs or any of that junk that has plagued the S3 in so many reported incidents.

2. If your the type that like to resell your devices and jump on the next latest and greatest I believe the expanded memory is a more sought after purchase.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Are trading in your 16gb model for the 32gb model? Personally I feel the 16gb is sufficient

Posted from my amazing white Galaxy S4

I agree. My 16 GB S4 has a close to 40 downloaded APPS and all of the original bloatware and runs perfectly. I use a 64 GB SD card for photos and music. Having said that, if I was buying the S4 today I would wait for the 64 GB version (if it arrives on these shores). Must have latest and greatest!

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have the 16GB and will stick with it. I have a 32GB SD card to hold my media. Have all my apps installed with a little over 8GB left. So I'm good for now. Personally, I don't buy the resale argument as a reason to get more storage. Because at the end of the day you'll just try to charge enough to recoup the additional cost you paid in the beginning whereas you could sell the lesser storage for a cheaper price so the difference is really a wash and I buy and sell phones all the time. And yes there's a market for the 32GB but the market for people that buy 16GB is always greater and usually results in a quicker sale. Just my opinion though. I would have bought the 32GB if I absolutely needed the storage on the device. Having a single partition for storage is ideal because I'd still put an SD card in it because 32GB is still just under my needs. My media is around 24GB so I'd need the extra space for the HD videos and hi res pictures that would be taken. What I really need is a 64GB version. But since I need to use 2 partitions in any case, might as well stick with the 16GB lol.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
80GB is more than enough.

Is 128GB available or even supported because I'd rather spend my money on that.

SHIFT_tapatalk 2 s4 SGH-I377M

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Fortunately for me I was not willing to accept the S4 at 16GB and last Saturday opted to order the LG Optimus G Pro since 32GB is standard. Then as I was preparing for a trip I see the S4 32GB was announced for a 5-10 launch. So today after I carefully reviewed my options and played with the OG Pro I chose to get the S4. Mind you I did not find the OG Pro to be lacking to the S4 in anyway in fact I really wanted the 5.5" screen it was the fact that screen brightness was an issue for me, yet I will miss the extra .5" of screen space, maybe a GN3 in the fall instead :)

Walt Colson

May 12, 2013
Visit site
What ever happened to the days where a phone was a phone? You put a 64g sd card in a phone that has 16g internal and it is not enough space. People have gotten to the point where they can't go anywhere without their entire life in their pocket. Honestly, how often will you ever use 64g of crap on your phone that you can't just use your computer or laptop for? Not to mention that if you are using all the crap you put on the phone that takes up that much space then you probably need a 9000 volt battery to last a day a lot more than you need the extra space. I am perfectly happy with my 16g model. It is a lot less expensive imo to just buy an extra sd card that you can use to store movies or tv shows that you would watch and just delete and replace them when you are finished than to worry about turning your phone into a hard drive full of things that you more than likely won't ever think about again once you put it in there.

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
What ever happened to the days where a phone was a phone? You put a 64g sd card in a phone that has 16g internal and it is not enough space. People have gotten to the point where they can't go anywhere without their entire life in their pocket. Honestly, how often will you ever use 64g of crap on your phone that you can't just use your computer or laptop for? Not to mention that if you are using all the crap you put on the phone that takes up that much space then you probably need a 9000 volt battery to last a day a lot more than you need the extra space. I am perfectly happy with my 16g model. It is a lot less expensive imo to just buy an extra sd card that you can use to store movies or tv shows that you would watch and just delete and replace them when you are finished than to worry about turning your phone into a hard drive full of things that you more than likely won't ever think about again once you put it in there.

That's your personal preference and your opinion. No need to be condescending to those who felt like 16GB was insufficient.

Posted via Android Central App

Johnny Roberts

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

Personally, I'm with you. But some folks DO use their phones as secondary computers on the go, and I see nothing wrong with that. I appreciate the option, although like you there is no way I need more than 16g of space. Or 12g...or 10g.

Everyone is different, and that's great.

Last edited:

itsdizbitch

May 2, 2013
Visit site

I have a 64gb sd card and I don't require the use of a 9000 volt battery. The biggest issue, at least for me, was the inability to store apps on the sd card. For music, photos, and videos 64gb is great and I won't ever need more space for that. But it's the apps that got me lol.

I originally purchased the 16gb S4 but I exchanged it on Friday for the 32gb S4. I'm guessing the 9 or so GB that were remaining would have been sufficient for the length of time I plan on keeping the phone, but I didn't want to risk regretting the decision of not exchanging the phone later. Since the 14 day policy was still an option, I just paid the difference and a $36 fee as opposed to changing my mind in 7 months and not wanting to pay full price for the 32gb model. I guess I'd rather have peace of mind knowing that I wouldn't run out of any space with the 32gb model than to have to worry about running out of space with the 16gb model.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

You have to realize that there are apps (yes, mostly games but apps nonetheless) that take up about 1-1.5GB on installation.

Some people use google music and youtube services and might rely on the caching function of those services (maybe for travelling when one can't get signal like a flight) and the caching options for those can potentially take up a large amount of storage space and that caching cannot be on an SD card.

Personally, I can get by with the amount of space left on the 16GB version but there are very valid reasons these days that someone would want, and can, use more without being a data storage hoarder.