05-17-2013 07:25 PM
34 12
tools
    Forget CPU speed, memory etc.. What is your idea of a really KILLER feature (built in or add-app) for a smartphone? Something truely "discontinuous".
    For example, several universities are starting to use portable circuit labs which allow students to breadboard and test fairly sophosticated circuits in a mobile way with a scope, function generator all controlled with a laptop via usb. A great idea and it empowers students.
    But of course most smartphone don't have that USB hosting capability (yet?).

I think something cool (since I do a lot of circuit testing) would be to have a WIRELESS voltmeter or scope module that my smartphone can talk to and display the measurements. 3 things here ... the meter being able to "talk" to the smartphone, the "sort of" real-time data communication between them, and of course the app that controls the measurement box.
    05-09-2013 10:26 AM
    2 micro sd slots, and REAL mass storage, that actually stays in all of the updates.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2
    Donvald likes this.
    05-09-2013 10:31 AM
    A Battery that will last a full 24 hours with every feature avaliable on your phone turned on would be nice! We could start there anytime....
    05-09-2013 10:43 AM
    Implementation of Nanotechnology.....Quantum Computing! That is where the future lies! I hope its within my lifetime.
    jensigner and met.watts like this.
    05-09-2013 10:55 AM
    A Battery that will last a full 24 hours with every feature avaliable on your phone turned on would be nice! We could start there anytime....
    Agreed! Or Self charging batteries, or some new charging method
    Batteries that charge via the electricity running though our bodies?
    Batteries that charge when touching anything with some sort of current running in them (ex. Computers, TVs, Phones, etc.)
    Donvald and smoggy126 like this.
    05-09-2013 11:13 AM
    Agreed! Or Self charging batteries, or some new charging method
    Batteries that charge via the electricity running though our bodies?
    Batteries that charge when touching anything with some sort of current running in them (ex. Computers, TVs, Phones, etc.)
    Or like old self winding watches, just us walking around and the bouncing that we do charges the battery. :thumbup:

sent from my S4 using motion gestures!!!!
    neonworm likes this.
    05-09-2013 11:43 AM
    Features and options that actually work out of the box as advertised
    neonworm likes this.
    05-09-2013 11:53 AM
    Features and options that actually work out of the box as advertised
    They do work out of the box lol
    05-09-2013 11:55 AM
    They do work out of the box lol
    Not always or there would be no need for updates, work arounds and rigged up fixes....
    05-09-2013 12:08 PM
    I have this Freeplay radio with crank-recharger, a small solar charger and the usual AC adapter charger. It is great (charges 3 NiMH batteries to ~ 6V). A crank is sort of space prohibitivbe on a smartphone. If you have reasonable light that would be cool. or "wind up my smartphone" .. now I'm getting all wound up
    I bike a lot so maybe a dock thing on my bike to recharge as I'm peddling.
    05-09-2013 12:09 PM
    Not always or there would be no need for updates, work arounds and rigged up fixes....
    Sounds more tolerable than faulty hardware, bad manufacturing, and design choices that can't be changed.
    05-09-2013 12:12 PM
    Solar charging panels implemented into the display would be nifty, if they could find a work around of over heating, perhaps better ventilation to the battery.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA
    05-09-2013 12:37 PM
    This is more of a build on to other electronics, but wireless sharing of display without the need of an hdmi out, like the concept of nfc but with a tv instead of another nfc enabled hand held. This would require that the tv have a build for it as well, though.

05-09-2013 12:41 PM
    This is more of a build on to other electronics, but wireless sharing of display without the need of an hdmi out, like the concept of nfc but with a tv instead of another nfc enabled hand held. This would require that the tv have a build for it as well, though.

Like Miracast?
    05-09-2013 12:45 PM
    Or like old self winding watches, just us walking around and the bouncing that we do charges the battery. :thumbup:

sent from my S4 using motion gestures!!!!
    That would be pretty amazing. I would like to see some kind of solar power recharge thing. Anything to make the battery last longer would be great.

Posted via Android Central App
    Jennifer Stough likes this.
    05-09-2013 12:47 PM
    Like Miracast?
    I guess so. First I have ever heard of this. Nifty. I googled it and it says the note 2 is compatible, any expierence with this?

05-09-2013 12:48 PM
    I guess so. First I have ever heard of this. Nifty. I googled it and it says the note 2 is compatible, any expierence with this?

Not on the Note 2, but on the Nexus 4. It's just finding a TV that's compatible that's the issue. LG said their 2013 lineup would have it built-in, but I haven't bothered to look as I haven't been in the market for a new TV.
    05-09-2013 12:52 PM
    This x100.
    05-09-2013 04:35 PM
    1.) Premium superior battery that will last a full 24 hours with many things running all at once (As someone mentioned above)
    2.) Complete water proof
    3. ) Duel sim card AND duel SD card
    bembol likes this.
    05-09-2013 04:57 PM
    Just throwing this out there again since we seem to have those who still feel the need to push the envelope.

This section, going forward

05-09-2013 05:20 PM
    1.) Premium superior battery that will last a full 24 hours with many things running all at once (As someone mentioned above)
    2.) Complete water proof
    The technology for number 2 is already out there.

A company called liquipel will spray any device in a nano-coating this covers all the components etc and leads to them being fully waterproof

Pretty cool!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2
    05-09-2013 05:44 PM

I have a Samsung BR player and it has a screen mirror function that works flawlessly with my Note 2. One of our TVs is a Samsung, and it supposedly will do the same thing, but apparently you need some $100 AllShare dongle.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2
    05-09-2013 05:55 PM
    2.) Complete water proof
    They are making a Galaxy S4 Activ which is waterproof

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Exynos!
    05-09-2013 05:56 PM
    Blood glucose monitor
    05-09-2013 06:30 PM
    come ON folks ... where are the KILLER innovations? most of the suggestions above are just sort-of obvious extensions ... not really discontinuous ;-) ... no offense intended .. perhaps something that really challenges the form factor of what a "smartphone" brick actually looks like ... as long as you can conveniently hold it.
    05-10-2013 07:01 PM
34 12