Quick questions about the S4

nyg88

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I will be picking up my device tomorrow. I am upgrading from the BB9700. I've got a couple of questions about the device. Is the lag noticeable or are people just complaining over something minor? Will the phone itself use data for pre-installed apps for example if I don't install any added apps does the phone come with apps that will use my data? Final question can you guys recommend good quality cases for the phone?

Thanks!

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I would say that some people are demanding and would not compromise not even a bit, and there are others that their phones are actually defective. I can tell you from my own experience and this is that I don't have any lagging what so ever. The phone is quick and the battery is awesome, right now it is midnight where I am and I have been using the phone a lot both for calls and internet since around 10 am this morning and as of right now the battery is at 51%. As far as the data is concern I don't think it matters what apps you use, what counts is which apps use the internet, remember data counts toward internet use. For example: gmail and google play store need data to be able to work and they come pre-installed. One way to find out is to untick the data usage at the store before you buy it, and try to use all of the pre-installed apps and the other way would be to direct the question directly to the sales person at the store where you are planning to buy.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey Nyg, welcome to the Galaxy family!

1) The lag is noticeable because you're looking for it. It doesn't feel like a slow phone and if you didn't know about people complaining, you probably wouldn't notice. It's not bad, it's just not the perfect UI people were expecting. In any case, you can 'avoid' the lag if you install a different launcher, but I'm fine with using the stock TouchWiz one.

2) Yes, the phone comes with apps that will use data in the background. Maps, GMail, device/contacts/calendar backups from both Google and Samsung, Samsung's bloatware, carrier bloatware... It's not like it'll chew through your data plan since day one, but yeah, they're there. It even warns you of that the moment you turn on your phone. However, there's a toggle to turn mobile data on and off should you choose to.

3) I still haven't bought a case for mine, but I think I'll stick to the flip cover that came with it for now. But if i were to buy a case, I'd go with a slim, discrete TPU one... I don't really like the added bulk and sheer ugliness of cases like Otter Defender and such. You could also check out AndroidCentral's own products, they're cool! And you get to have Lloyd on your phone! ;)

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I have 6GB Data and don't disable any Apps that were either added my Samsung or Carrier, it doesn't look like it affects my Data usage. As for battery life it last about 10-12 hours.

Lags? I still haven't noticed any.

I love my Nillkin Case, more like a back cover because it's cheap and includes a great Screen Protector for $10 shipped on eBay. If you're looking for more than a cover, I love the Spigen cases that have been poster here.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20