If iPhone 5 also has a 5-inch screen, would you still be getting the Galaxy S4?

Which phone would you get?

• Total voters

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have tried iOS so many times, iP4, iP4S, iP5 twice and iPads, all of that mixed in with Android phones galore and one thing keeps coming up. iOS is just not as functional as Android is, to me anyways. I can do more, tweak it more, get more multi-tasking out of it. Ultimately I live in a Google world and Apple wants to control your entire experience under their terms and with lax security and poor battery life.

5" iPhone is very unlikely for another few years if ever and Cook has been pretty adamant about it. Then again Jobs claimed 7" tablets were dead on arrival and boy did he roll over in his grave and put one out.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I have tried iOS so many times, iP4, iP4S, iP5 twice and iPads, all of that mixed in with Android phones galore and one thing keeps coming up. iOS is just not as functional as Android is, to me anyways. I can do more, tweak it more, get more multi-tasking out of it. Ultimately I live in a Google world and Apple wants to control your entire experience under their terms and with lax security and poor battery life.

5" iPhone is very unlikely for another few years if ever and Cook has been pretty adamant about it. Then again Jobs claimed 7" tablets were dead on arrival and boy did he roll over in his grave and put one out.

Honestly is A FACT that Android is more functional than iOS so that isn't even up for debate.

Android offers more functions than iOS no matter how you spin it.

What's better is subjective, but Android is in fact now functional

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

EckonoJ

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a love hate relationship with the iPhone. I stray and always come back. Mainly because android isn't as polished as ios in my opinion. Though they are gaining ground fast with devices like the s4. I wish android had games like the walking dead and other tell tale Inc games. Androids fragmentation is something I don't like. Lots of apps I had on gingerbread won't work on jellybean. It's like most app developers make apps to work on the weakest android device on up where apple makes apps from top to bottom. You can't go wrong with either device, but if the iPhone had a 5 inch 1080p display and apple eased up on its restrictions then I'd Def go back. They are trying to make ios more flat than it is though. I don't see how it can get anymore flat than point and click.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hold yourself man. WP has stepped its game in terms of apps

It stepped it's game but then fell down again

In a post announcing the Nokia Lumia 928, Microsoft also rather casually threw out the fact that the phone will have access to 145,000 apps in the Windows Phone Store, saying:

"Pick one up and for a limited time you?ll also get $25 to shop at the Windows Phone Store with 145,000 apps and games"

The announcement means Windows Phone has taken nearly 11 months to add 45,000 apps, after Microsoft announced 100,000 apps in June 2012. The 50,000 apps before this took only 6 months, though the first 50,000 took around 14 months, not far from the rate Windows Phone is adding apps now.

That obviously leaves Windows Phone running at a much slower rate than any major mobile OS, with Android taking little more than a year to hit 200,000 apps but of course a large number of apps is not an end in itself. Importantly the number of high profile and high quality apps have increased dramatically in the last 6 months, more driven by the increase in Windows Phone users than anything else.

The slow growth of the store however is a real issue, and Microsoft needs to continue to work at increasing the attractiveness of the market to developers

Once you add other problems to the mix such as:

Still no gapless music playback
no notification center
lack of unified search
Lack of volume profiles
Fix Multi tasking: A simple suggestion: Don?t make developers write extra line of code for fast app resume, just bundle the code when the dev compiles it. Every single wp8 app should have it. Makes the OS feel inconsistent.
IE10: IE10 is amazing. I use it a lot on desktop and loving the performance on Windows Phone 8 so far. However, the UI isn?t good enough. There?s no forward button on IE10 and no speed dial like feature which every single browser has it now and even Opera Mini had it for years now. This reminds me of a simple request : Open marketplace to more browsers Microsoft - help Opera develop Mini for Windows Phone 8.

and other issues, WP8 doesn't at this time make a compelling argument to switch from either Android or iOS.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Not everyone is always on the home screen with the settings app. Here are the steps from in an app to turn off WiFi.

iOS:
1. Go to home screen.
2. Navigate to screen with settings app.
3. Open Settings.
4. Turn off WiFi switch.

Android:
1. Pull down Quick Settings.
2. Hold WiFi toggle.

On Android, apps are designed to adapt to the screen.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Doesn't it require more steps on the One which has no stock settings toggle on the shade?

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't it require more steps on the One which has no stock settings toggle on the shade?

Yes, because the One has 4.1 and not 4.2. But if it has settings access from the regular notification shade like stock 4.1 does, then it would be 3 steps, which is still less than iOS.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
To answer the OP, I like Android devices for Android... the software. I don't care about screen size so much as software freedom and functionality. Also, I love some hardware features like NFC, IR blasters, removable battery/storage, better speakers etc.

Tom

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
For me its a lot more than just the screen size. Personally I wasn't impressed with the 5. Looks ugly to me just stretching the screen. They need to make it wider now. Other things that they don't do stock I don't like:
Almost all of these are solved with a jailbreak. And it is very easy to jailbreak the iphone.

1. Not being able to change the keyboard to a one like swype, swiftkey etc.
That is correct, but you can get the BB10 keyboard which I am told is a fantastic keyboard.

2. Lack of decent 3rd party browsers (since they make it so safari always has the upper hand)
I am running Mercury Browser as my main browser thanks to a tweak called browser changer. I can run Chrome if I want to, but it does not have full screen browsing. BTW, Safari is a very good browser. The only thing I do not like about it is that it does not have text reflow, boooooo.

3. No customizing of the home screens. I like putting apps in folders where ever I want to and putting seldom used but important apps on the right screen so I don't see them all the time. Not just page after page of apps with often used ones mixed in with never used ones.
There is a tweak called gridlock that will allow you to do that. Another tweak (infinifolder) will allow you to put as many apps in one folder as you want. I have 236 apps on my phone and I have the majority of them in folders that I hardly see.

4. The Power control widget. I use it pretty often, like not having to go into settings to change screen brightness, GPS, wifi etc.
I have a power widget in my notification center, but I discovered that I hardly use it. I leave my WiFi, GPS, and Bluetooth on all the time. They have little to no impact on the battery life of my iphone. I can get a full day between charges very easily.

5. No sideloading of apps. Be surprised how many apps you can get for free from the developer off their website instead of paying a buck on gplay. Great way to legitimately try out new apps. Also no other app store other than itunes, and I am not a big fan of itunes, had many problems with it in the past.
When your jailbroken, you can download apps from Cydia. There are a lot that I use, eg, iFile, iClean, BytaFont. I rarely use itunes. My phone automatically backs ALL my data to the cloud everynight. I can download ringtones directly to my phone thanks to a Cydia tweak.

6. Making other apps default (Like G Maps instead of A Maps)
Fixable with a tweak. I currently use GoogleNow thanks to a tweak called NowNow. I swipe the status bar and get to talk to Google Now. I ask it to navigate me to an address and then I use Google Maps to get to that address. I like Google Now a lot. The voice recognition is much better than Siri. The only thing I cannot get it to do is navigate to contacts from my address book which is in my Google Contacts. I still use Siri for setting alrams, reminders, etc...

Now for some of my other dislikes about iproducts. Proprietary components. Yes the lightning is nice, but is a apple standard not a world standard. Be nice if they worked with other companies to make it as mainstream as the mini usb. Like the fact that it works any direction and is faster but not for $20 a cable. I bought 5 mini usb cables off of Amazon for $4.50 shipped, real OEM Motorola ones.
I understand your point, but boy is the lightining functional. I do not have to fiddle around at night when I am going to plug my phone to charge. I have a battery case with a mini usb and I have to look at the plug to match the port most of the time.

Everytime an update gets released you lose your jailbreak. No way I want to wait 3 months or more to update just to be able to jailbreak untethered.
Last time I tried, couldn't wirelessly print to any printer on iOS, only HP ones.
I am on 6.1.2 and there have been two minor updates since and I did not have to update my phone. I simply ignore them. I have that option. The updates are not forced on you. Besides all 6.xx updates are minor. I can ignore the major updates as well, since we all know that Apple's upgrades do not add much functionality to a jailbroken phone. Rumor has it that iOS 7 will be different, but I highly doubt that.

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Not everyone is always on the home screen with the settings app. Here are the steps from in an app to turn off WiFi.

iOS:
1. Go to home screen.
2. Navigate to screen with settings app.
3. Open Settings.
4. Turn off WiFi switch.

Android:
1. Pull down Quick Settings.
2. Hold WiFi toggle.

On Android, apps are designed to adapt to the screen.

Or you can be like me (an iphone4s user) and not bother with having to manage my settings at all, because IOS sports very power-efficient settings.

Seriously. I simply leave all my toggles (wifi/bluetooth/location settings) on by default. I still reach home at ~6pm with over 40% battery life to spare.

What amazes (and irritates me) is that in this day and age, people still have to actively change their phone's settings. Don't get me wrong - this isn't a jibe at Android users, but I personally feel that faster and more convenient access to settings isn't the answer. Instead, companies should be looking at making this technology better at managing themselves, and more power efficient in general. If anything, I would argue that quick toggles may actually be a quick bandaid that might hamper the development of such technology. Why bother, when people can already switch them on/off so readily? But my point is that I shouldn't have to.

For example, instead of manually adjusting your screen brightness, why not smarter sensors that calibrate your screen's brightness more accurately? Or bluetooth and wireless tech that consume so little power when not in use; you are largely indifferent between leaving them on or off? This is the sort of automation I would like to see being implemented, rather than more settings that people need to sift through and deal with.

I guess the issue is that Google is not international enough. I just don't have access to play movies books or anything besides music, wallet abs apps

Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4

To be fair, itunes outside of the US is fairly crippled as well. Or at least, I don't enjoy the same wide selection of music and movies in my country, likely due to exclusive distribution rights. The content isn't that cheap either. Either way, I don't find myself particularly compelled to purchase media through itunes.

Now for some of my other dislikes about iproducts.
Proprietary components. Yes the lightning is nice, but is a apple standard not a world standard. Be nice if they worked with other companies to make it as mainstream as the mini usb. Like the fact that it works any direction and is faster but not for $20 a cable. I bought 5 mini usb cables off of Amazon for $4.50 shipped, real OEM Motorola ones.
No wireless charging without a ugly looking case. Not important to some, but to me since I got it for the Nexus 4, I use often and like it. Saves wear and tear of the micro usb port.
Everytime an update gets released you lose your jailbreak. No way I want to wait 3 months or more to update just to be able to jailbreak untethered.
Last time I tried, couldn't wirelessly print to any printer on iOS, only HP ones.

I don't get what the obsession with having a universally standard adaptor is. Micro-USB sucks, not least because it charges the devices so slowly. Likewise, the world has flitted from one standard to the next countless times within the past few years, while Apple was the only company to keep their 30-pin connector completely unchanged for the last decade. So I find it ironic that Apple receives so much flak for updating their cable just once (in a bid to futureproof it for the next decade), while it is only a matter of time before the world moves on to the next universal standard. Again.

Lightning is actually quite clever once you understand what it does (contains active circuitry which lets the device push firmware to the adaptor, theoretically allowing the device to support any new, unreleased format and outsourcing all the ports to the adaptor side, which in turn lets the device remain as thin and light as it does). But I digress...

I don't jailbreak, so I guess I appreciate the convenience of being able to get an update on the same day Apple releases it, download and install it within minutes.

Not sure about wireless printing, I am using printopia (which prints through my Mac-connected printer).

Different preferences for different people, I guess. :)

Last edited:

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Or you can be like me (an iphone4s user) and not bother with having to manage my settings at all, because IOS sports very power-efficient settings.

Seriously. I simply leave all my toggles (wifi/bluetooth/location settings) on by default. I still reach home at ~6pm with over 40% battery life to spare.

What amazes (and irritates me) is that in this day and age, people still have to actively change their phone's settings. Don't get me wrong - this isn't a jibe at Android users, but I personally feel that faster and more convenient access to settings isn't the answer. Instead, companies should be looking at making this technology better at managing themselves, and more power efficient in general. If anything, I would argue that quick toggles may actually be a quick bandaid that might hamper the development of such technology. Why bother, when people can already switch them on/off so readily? But my point is that I shouldn't have to.

For example, instead of manually adjusting your screen brightness, why not smarter sensors that calibrate your screen's brightness more accurately? Or bluetooth and wireless tech that consume so little power when not in use; you are largely indifferent between leaving them on or off? This is the sort of automation I would like to see being implemented, rather than more settings that people need to sift through and deal with.

Android does this, but the main reason to have a wifi toggle has nothing to do with battery life.

When on a fringe area where wifi is weak and the network is strong, the phone will keep switching and anyone that knows ios knows they don't handle the handoff gracefully.

It gets annoying

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Almost all of these are solved with a jailbreak. And it is very easy to jailbreak the iphone.

That is correct, but you can get the BB10 keyboard which I am told is a fantastic keyboard.

I am running Mercury Browser as my main browser thanks to a tweak called browser changer. I can run Chrome if I want to, but it does not have full screen browsing. BTW, Safari is a very good browser. The only thing I do not like about it is that it does not have text reflow, boooooo.

There is a tweak called gridlock that will allow you to do that. Another tweak (infinifolder) will allow you to put as many apps in one folder as you want. I have 236 apps on my phone and I have the majority of them in folders that I hardly see.

I have a power widget in my notification center, but I discovered that I hardly use it. I leave my WiFi, GPS, and Bluetooth on all the time. They have little to no impact on the battery life of my iphone. I can get a full day between charges very easily.

When your jailbroken, you can download apps from Cydia. There are a lot that I use, eg, iFile, iClean, BytaFont. I rarely use itunes. My phone automatically backs ALL my data to the cloud everynight. I can download ringtones directly to my phone thanks to a Cydia tweak.

Fixable with a tweak. I currently use GoogleNow thanks to a tweak called NowNow. I swipe the status bar and get to talk to Google Now. I ask it to navigate me to an address and then I use Google Maps to get to that address. I like Google Now a lot. The voice recognition is much better than Siri. The only thing I cannot get it to do is navigate to contacts from my address book which is in my Google Contacts. I still use Siri for setting alrams, reminders, etc...

I understand your point, but boy is the lightining functional. I do not have to fiddle around at night when I am going to plug my phone to charge. I have a battery case with a mini usb and I have to look at the plug to match the port most of the time.

I am on 6.1.2 and there have been two minor updates since and I did not have to update my phone. I simply ignore them. I have that option. The updates are not forced on you. Besides all 6.xx updates are minor. I can ignore the major updates as well, since we all know that Apple's upgrades do not add much functionality to a jailbroken phone. Rumor has it that iOS 7 will be different, but I highly doubt that.

You missed the first paragraph when I said stock for stock. These are all things that can be done on a stock Nexus 4. And then for jailbreak refer to the last paragraph on that. I'd rather have unlocked boot loader and root instantly than wait for root on iOS and no custom ROMs ever. Also you could never put another OS on a iPhone like Ubuntu can on Android. That's freedom. :)

Also comparing stock Android (Nexus 4, locked and non rooted) to a non jailbroken iPhone is no comparison.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't get what the obsession with having a universally standard adaptor is. Micro-USB sucks, not least because it charges the devices so slowly. Likewise, the world has flitted from one standard to the next countless times within the past few years, while Apple was the only company to keep their 30-pin connector completely unchanged for the last decade. So I find it ironic that Apple receives so much flak for updating their cable just once (in a bid to futureproof it for the next decade), while it is only a matter of time before the world moves on to the next universal standard. Again.

Lightning is actually quite clever once you understand what it does (contains active circuitry which lets the device push firmware to the adaptor, theoretically allowing the device to support any new, unreleased format and outsourcing all the ports to the adaptor side, which in turn lets the device remain as thin and light as it does). But I digress...

Yes micro usb is NOT as good as Lightning. I had admitted that. But Apple will not work with other companies to make it a standard. Apple receives that flak for not using world standards, and trying to make the world adapt to it. We all know the advantages of the cable but no one wants to put their money in making a dedicated Lighting products after what just happened with the 30 pin. Also if no one but Apple makes it and tries to make everyone follow Apple law, 90% of the world will NOT follow, just reality. Also the majority of consumers will not pay $20 for a $1 cable, we are too wise to that.

BKlip

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
The less I rely on my iOS device being "comfortable" and the more I get acquainted with my new S4, I'm not so sure a 5" iPhone would lure me back at this point. Having too much fun with Android at the moment. Though the iOS 7 debut has me intrigued.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
You missed the first paragraph when I said stock for stock. These are all things that can be done on a stock Nexus 4. And then for jailbreak refer to the last paragraph on that. I'd rather have unlocked boot loader and root instantly than wait for root on iOS and no custom ROMs ever. Also you could never put another OS on a iPhone like Ubuntu can on Android. That's freedom. :)

Also comparing stock Android (Nexus 4, locked and non rooted) to a non jailbroken iPhone is no comparison.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Nexus phones are a niche product. It is better to compare the iPhone to the GS3 that sells in much much higher numbers than the Nexus. A large majority of Android phones are Galaxy or Note phones or Razor phones. Those come with a locked boot loader and you will have to wait for the keys just like iPhone owners wait for the jailbreak.

You can also run Android on an iPhone with a dual boot. You can either boot the Android or iOS. It was done in the past, but I do not know if it can still be done.

I get the same freedom when I jailbreak my phone. I does everything that my GS3 does and it runs smoother with no stutter and lag. Plus the apps that I use on both phones seem to be more polished on the iPhone than Android. Example: Zite, the news app. On my iPhone it has been updated twice and runs very smoothly. On my GS3, it has not been updated once and is very laggy and unsmooth.

Sent from my iPhone 7

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Nexus phones are a niche product. It is better to compare the iPhone to the GS3 that sells in much much higher numbers than the Nexus. A large majority of Android phones are Galaxy or Note phones or Razor phones. Those come with a locked boot loader and you will have to wait for the keys just like iPhone owners wait for the jailbreak.

You can also run Android on an iPhone with a dual boot. You can either boot the Android or iOS. It was done in the past, but I do not know if it can still be done.

I get the same freedom when I jailbreak my phone. I does everything that my GS3 does and it runs smoother with no stutter and lag. Plus the apps that I use on both phones seem to be more polished on the iPhone than Android. Example: Zite, the news app. On my iPhone it has been updated twice and runs very smoothly. On my GS3, it has not been updated once and is very laggy and unsmooth.

Sent from my iPhone 7

Over 1 Million sold is not a niche product. Why should stock Android have to be compared to the GS4 when the iPhone 5 is involved? All Android phones have a locked bootloader (Even the Nexus Phones, so that kills you Razr and Galaxy argument) but the Nexus is easily unlockable and rooted from the factory. No update kills that, or makes anyone with a Nexus wait to get rooted or unlocked.

Anyway the whole point of my original post, had you actually read it, said it was comparing stock Android to Stock iOS. You CAN NOT do those things with STOCK iOS that you can with a STOCK NEXUS 4! Get over it, and stop trying to make your point with other devices, like the GS4. This is about pure Android and pure Apple OS's. Samsung is not Android, they learned how to mass produce products from Apple. Not the best products, but the most products BECAUSE of Apple, but GOOGLE still makes the OS and fixes and updates it, not Samsung.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs