If iPhone 5 also has a 5-inch screen, would you still be getting the Galaxy S4?

Which phone would you get?

• Total voters

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Ecosystem
Email clients
App exclusivity
Better looking apps
More availability
Better customer support

Your opinion of beat is different to mine right? So therefore it's not fact simply opinion.

Ecosystem is often brought up, and certainly if you've spent a lot of money on Apple specific products, then yes the ecosystem is a HUGE benefit. I however try to be more future proof and purchase "Universal" products. That way, I am not a slave to one particular manufacturer. I'm then able to make decisions based more on current needs than whether or not i'll be able to use my vehicle dock, radio in the bathroom, or desk top dock.

I've heard Gmail is surprisingly better on iOS but it works fantastic on my S3 and I don't need it to do more than it already does.

App exclusivity is probably Apple's biggest advantage on the software side of things. In fact, i'd say that is their ONLY software win. The OS being a glorified app tray is good for some, but for me I appreciate that Android offers a lot more in every other way possible aside from app availability. The only app I have found however that I desperately wish Android had, was the 3D Home Builder where you can play with blueprints, and decorate and furnish a 3D render of a home.

Not sure what you mean by "more availability". Certainly you don't mean the phone itself, so you must mean app availability? But that would basically be the same thing as the app exclusivity. I also think "better looking apps" would be part of that.

Better customer support is also probably true. I remember T-Mobile bragging about their customer support to me in a store once, and I told the manager that I would rather not need support, than to know all the nearest support techs on a first name basis. So yeah, it's nice to have it in those rare emergencies, but I have never needed immediate customer support for any of my Android devices (knock on wood).

I know you were only mentioning those items as your opinion and that none of this is fact, so I figured i'd throw out my opinion of the items listed above. To each their own as we often say on this forum.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
On Android, apps are designed to adapt to the screen.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

That's not true at all. When the droid dna first came out, so many apps were not compatible because of the screen resolution. Not to mention there are many apps out that still don't play nice with 1080p.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Android:
1. Pull down Quick Settings.
2. Hold WiFi toggle.

Not every phone has a quick settings in the notification bar. While most new phones running ics+ and up do. And not every user uses a WiFi toggle widget on the screen. There for requiring them to navigate to the screen they have their settings on, if its even on a home screen. Could be in the app drawer. Home screen, app drawer, settings, WiFi off.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
That's not true at all. When the droid dna first came out, so many apps were not compatible because of the screen resolution. Not to mention there are many apps out that still don't play nice with 1080p.

Especially the games.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Not every phone has a quick settings in the notification bar.
The GS4 does. And that's what this thread is about.

There for requiring them to navigate to the screen they have their settings on, if its even on a home screen.
That... doesn't make any sense...

Could be in the app drawer. Home screen, app drawer, settings, WiFi off.
Again, we're talking about the S4.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The GS4 does. And that's what this thread is about.

That... doesn't make any sense...

Again, we're talking about the S4.

Your comment said "iOS"and "android," not "iphone" and "s4." And while I'm very aware what this thread was about, it broadened to include why others thought android was better than iOS, and even to include talk regarding windows phones. And yet, you didn't bother to correct them, because they weren't negating what you said.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
That... doesn't make any sense..

Some people put the settings app on their homescreen, or on one of the many. Some don't. For those who don't, and do not have a quick settings bar, as the s4 does, they have to scroll through their homescreens to reach the one with their setting shortcut. And if they don't have it on a homescreen, they have to scroll through their app drawer until they find it. I don't see what didn't make sense out of that...

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh dear. Another argument brewing. Please I beg you before it starts, let's not sink to arguing about accessing a settings menu. There's so much more to discuss when comparing iOS to Android. Or Windows Phone and BlackBerry for that matter.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Oh dear. Another argument brewing. Please I beg you before it starts, let's not sink to arguing about accessing a settings menu. There's so much more to discuss when comparing iOS to Android. Or Windows Phone and BlackBerry for that matter.

You are right. I am sorry for partially insuing an argument. I was out of line.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd be curious to see how Apple would handle higher res screens, more complex UI elements other than just an app drawer, etc. That 1430 mah battery and dual core processor probably won't get the job done well enough to meet their standards. It's probably wise they don't play the specs game; I can't see them ever winning.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I just made the switch from iPhone 5 to a HTC One and Galaxy S4.

Number 1 reason why we switched was the screen size.

If the iPhone 5 had a 4.7 or bigger screen, we would not even considered the switch.

Most consumers only care about whether the phone text,email,web,calls, and facebook properly.
Then it may come down to looks and how well they can read it.
The normal user doesn't dwell on Android vs IOS.

On boards like these people tend to over think about the features or differences each operating system offers. Yes there is an argument about ecosystem and customization etc. People though are quick to judge. With a 14 day return policy, most people are going to decide if they don't like their phone or aren't use to the differences between IOS or Android.

Switching from IOS to Android for me 2 weeks ago had a big wow factor initially. Then after a couple days the wow factor went away. Outside of the looks of the applications themselves, all the functions I use were basically the same. When I am reading on the web, I don't care about my toggles. When I am looking at facebook, why do I care about my widgets.

I do care though that I could see my screen better because it is bigger.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You are right. I am sorry for partially insuing an argument. I was out of line.

I don't mind the healthy debate so much as the topic being debated. If other people are interested in a debate about settings menus, by all means hash it out. Just because I don't enjoy that topic doesn't mean others have no interest. I was just hoping for something more exciting to come of this thread.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I think the iPhone would be awesome with a 5 inch screen but I'd still go android. I can't stand all the icrap you have to deal with with Apple.

ITunes makes me murderous.

Plus there is zero customization options and I really like tweaking the look of my phone.

Other than that stuff Apple makes an awesome phone. The keyboard is fantastic.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Central Forums

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'd be curious to see how Apple would handle higher res screens, more complex UI elements other than just an app drawer, etc. That 1430 mah battery and dual core processor probably won't get the job done well enough to meet their standards. It's probably wise they don't play the specs game; I can't see them ever winning.

I am interested to see how ios 7 turns out if they're really doing a major overhaul. I don't see them integrating a lot of the things people want, to keep separate from the android platform, but I think they could come up with quite a few interesting features.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I am interested to see how ios 7 turns out if they're really doing a major overhaul. I don't see them integrating a lot of the things people want, to keep separate from the android platform, but I think they could come up with quite a few interesting features.

Yeah like a new ui refresh bettersettings app etc.

Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I believe that Android has a better ecosystem and better looking apps.

I would say that neither is better, both are an acquired taste but I will agree in the sense that iOS definitely doesn't have better looking apps like so many say, but that's just me.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

I'm guessing it's mostly going to be design. Jonny Ive wasn't a bad choice to head the change, at least not in theory.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Ecosystem is often brought up, and certainly if you've spent a lot of money on Apple specific products, then yes the ecosystem is a HUGE benefit. I however try to be more future proof and purchase "Universal" products. That way, I am not a slave to one particular manufacturer. I'm then able to make decisions based more on current needs than whether or not i'll be able to use my vehicle dock, radio in the bathroom, or desk top dock.

I've heard Gmail is surprisingly better on iOS but it works fantastic on my S3 and I don't need it to do more than it already does.

App exclusivity is probably Apple's biggest advantage on the software side of things. In fact, i'd say that is their ONLY software win. The OS being a glorified app tray is good for some, but for me I appreciate that Android offers a lot more in every other way possible aside from app availability. The only app I have found however that I desperately wish Android had, was the 3D Home Builder where you can play with blueprints, and decorate and furnish a 3D render of a home.

Not sure what you mean by "more availability". Certainly you don't mean the phone itself, so you must mean app availability? But that would basically be the same thing as the app exclusivity. I also think "better looking apps" would be part of that.

Better customer support is also probably true. I remember T-Mobile bragging about their customer support to me in a store once, and I told the manager that I would rather not need support, than to know all the nearest support techs on a first name basis. So yeah, it's nice to have it in those rare emergencies, but I have never needed immediate customer support for any of my Android devices (knock on wood).

I know you were only mentioning those items as your opinion and that none of this is fact, so I figured i'd throw out my opinion of the items listed above. To each their own as we often say on this forum.
I guess the issue is that Google is not international enough. I just don't have access to play movies books or anything besides music, wallet abs apps

Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Apple can release an Unlocked, 5" iPhone with a Battery that last 24 hours on HEAVY usage and offer 128GB for only $249.99...

Too much? LOL

I STILL WOULDN'T BUY IT. Why? OS. Boring. I just had enough I had the 3GS, 4, 4S & 5.

I'm having way too much fun with android and only learned about Nova Launcher Prime 6 months ago. Though I upgraded for the 20th time, 11 have been androids and I still can't get myself to Root. (

Like I said this is more than just a Communication device, it's a Toy! Which is why I love upgrading. :)