If iPhone 5 also has a 5-inch screen, would you still be getting the Galaxy S4?

Which phone would you get?

• Total voters

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
For whatever it is worth, I doubt Apple will come out with a larger screen anytime soon.

First off, they are obligated (to some extent) to maintain backwards compatibility with current apps. That's why the ipad mini used the same resolution as the ipad2 - so developers didn't need to recode their apps (That and the 163PPI screen is the same resolution as the 3GS *hint*), and why the iphone5 has the same width as the iphone4 (so unscaled apps don't look too crap).

A larger screen would degrade the screen's PPI to well below their own threshold for what constitutes retina (a mockup showed that a 4.9 inch model could be had at roughly 264PPI, same as ipad4). This would cause them to lose one of the key selling points of their iphone. I suppose Apple could, in theory at least, quadruple the number of pixels (double the number of pixels on each side), but that would probably tax the GPU immensely, not to mention the absurd drain on battery life, and the pointlessness of going beyond 1920x1080 resolution.

I suppose in this context, their retina display is their biggest strength, and their greatest weakness, because of the limitations it places when you want to change your screen size.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Played with the Galaxy S4 today, such an impressive hardware without any doubt. I was especially in love with the 5" display, I thought it was the perfect display size for today's smartphone. Sure, its still pretty hard to be used with one hand, but it feels just right in the hand. My problem is that all of my family members use the iPhone, it'd be nice to be able to use the iMessage and Facetime features. Many of my friends have iPhone as well. I also personally prefer the iOS, and somewhat excited for the upcoming iOS 7. This made me wish that Apple releases a 5" iPhone, I will get it without any hesitation.. In the meantime though, I can only envy the Galaxy S4 owners. Do you guys feel the same way?

I thought the same about losing imessage but ti be honest mate the positives out weigh the negatives. There is what's app as an imessage alternative. I've never looked back since having the note 2. Dont get too excited about ios7. Im sure it will be the same old crap.

Posted via Android Central App

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Over 1 Million sold is not a niche product. Why should stock Android have to be compared to the GS4 when the iPhone 5 is involved? All Android phones have a locked bootloader (Even the Nexus Phones, so that kills you Razr and Galaxy argument) but the Nexus is easily unlockable and rooted from the factory. No update kills that, or makes anyone with a Nexus wait to get rooted or unlocked.

Anyway the whole point of my original post, had you actually read it, said it was comparing stock Android to Stock iOS. You CAN NOT do those things with STOCK iOS that you can with a STOCK NEXUS 4! Get over it, and stop trying to make your point with other devices, like the GS4. This is about pure Android and pure Apple OS's. Samsung is not Android, they learned how to mass produce products from Apple. Not the best products, but the most products BECAUSE of Apple, but GOOGLE still makes the OS and fixes and updates it, not Samsung.

Yes 1 million is a niche product compared to the 30 million for the GS3 and the 37 million iphones sold in the last quarter. Put it in context and you will see it is a niche product. I did not mention the GS4, I mentioned my GS3. GS3 compares to the iphone 5. GS4 compares to the upcoming iphone 5S. You are right stock to stock, Android does have more functionality, but after you jailbreak the iphone it is a level playing field. I use both and like both. A stock anything sucks for me. That is why I jail break my iphone. I am not going to do that to the GS3 since I am not the primary user. But I am not happy by the lack of smoothness with the device especially when scrolling up and down a web page.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yes 1 million is a niche product compared to the 30 million for the GS3 and the 37 million iphones sold in the last quarter.

What about the 10 million I mentioned?

Also, name any other phone line that sold that many units. I doubt there are only 2 non-niche devices.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't leave. IOS itself would have to drastically change for me to switch from android. Let's see what they do with IOS 7

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

toujours_frais

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Tim Cook:
My view continues to be that iPhone 5 has the best display in the industry. We always strive to create the very best display. Some customers value large screen size. Others value other factors such as resolution, color quality, white balance, reflectivity, power consumption, compatibility of apps, and portability. Our competitors have made some significant tradeoffs in many of these areas to ship a larger display. We would not ship a larger display iPhone while these tradeoffs exist.

So, it is only a matter of time for Tim Cook.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Not every phone has a quick settings in the notification bar. While most new phones running ics+ and up do. And not every user uses a WiFi toggle widget on the screen. There for requiring them to navigate to the screen they have their settings on, if its even on a home screen. Could be in the app drawer. Home screen, app drawer, settings, WiFi off.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
Ya but for phones that don't have it you can put a power toggle widget on your home screen. Press home. Press wifi toggle. Still 2 steps.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Tim Cook:

So, it is only a matter of time for Tim Cook.
I think the thing they fear is that larger screens means fewer people buying tablets. I find I constantly go for my phone over my tablet. It just seems easier to do what I want. But if I had a smaller screen the tablet would have more benefits. Phones in the 5 in range really reduce the need for a tablet for a lot of people. If Apple makes the iPhone a 5in screen their sales could be impacted.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Not rational, AT ALL. As many reviewers said, bezel serves a purpose. I already have problems on my DNA with the bezel being so minimal.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Exactly. I can't see Apple making a jump to a bigger screen like that anytime soon, especially if it sacrifices the ease of one handed use. They've got quite a market for their device now; no need to alter that. If anything, it's software they need to work on.