Good day sir/ma'am,

Android newbie here, S4 is my first android phone.

I just want to ask what is the effect of clearing the cache of the applications? When do i need to do it if necessary? And is app2sd a good application?

Thanks and more power to android!
    05-10-2013 02:41 AM
    Welcome to the family!

Clearing the cache is like clearing temporary data on a Windows computer. Sometimes an app can start loading up information in its temporary storage location and sometimes this data can make the app go wonky. By clearing the cache, you're effectively clearing the temporary information and allowing it to be filled up with new information. Sometimes it helps to clear some issues with non-responding apps.

App2Sd is an app used to move applications to the SD card (the default installation directory is the phone's internal memory). The problem is that with newer phones, like the S4, the ability to move apps to SD card was removed completely (Android Jelly Bean and up) to make things run more efficiently. Now, for apps like this to work, you need to root your phone (the equivalent of Jailbreaking an iDevice).
    05-10-2013 03:09 AM
    I see thanks.

I've seen some threads that rooting can make your phone a brick. Has anyone root their S4 successfully? My S4 Unit is I9505.
    05-10-2013 03:15 AM
    A bad root can brick your phone, yes... It's rare and it happens only if you don't follow the steps correctly, but it's otherwise a safe procedure. Now, with new devices, root can be tricky as not all models have been rooted or the method is not stable yet. I'm not sure if your model has been rooted yet or if the method to root the i9500 or several of the American S4's would work, but I would hold off on rooting at this early stage.
    05-10-2013 03:18 AM
    Better not root it. )

I've seen this on youtube. Is this true?
    05-10-2013 03:22 AM
    By the use of adb command you actually setting a different location for installing your apps. just keep it mind you only do this if you planning to keep the same memory card in your phone for life, else you may end up with errors.
    Its like setting your program folder on a USB stick and if you remove the USB stick then programs will not work.

:*:N33b1:*:
    05-10-2013 05:38 AM
    For example, i did adb. Then i installed facebook on my mem card, will my phone have errors if i remove the memory card even though i will not run the facebook app?
    05-10-2013 05:43 AM