Playing Audiobooks ripped from CD

rickterscale

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I?m interested in getting a Galaxy S4, but am not sure it will work for one of my primary uses ? listening to audiobooks ripped from CD. I have an ipod touch, and through itunes I can segregate the audiobooks from my music, specify that the music player skip files designated as audiobooks when shuffling, and remember where I left off on the audiobook if I switch to some other media. I played around with a friend?s Galaxy, and from what I can tell, I can?t do any of this on the Galaxy, or through Google Play. Can someone tell me I?m mistaken? I?d really like to try the Galaxy, but not if I lose my place in an audiobook every time I switch media and listen to some music.

Note, I assume Audible will play back audiobooks the way I want, but I?m not interested in that. I?d have to pay for books through Audible, whereas I get audiobooks on CD for free from my local library.

Thanks,

Rick

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Easiest way is use a better MP3 player. I?ve tried several before settling on Maple as my only player. It has features just for audiobooks like bookmarks (auto and manual) and variable speed playback but also does a good job with music with equalizer, shuffle and AB repeat. You specify the music top level folder--if you don't include the audiobook folder then shuffle wouldn't hit them--then use a playlist to play the audiobook without having to change the folder setting. Assuming there's no DRM on the ripped MP3s.

rickterscale

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, JudH. Maple specifies the supported file formats as mp3, ogg, wav(pcm). Does that mean it won't play MPEG-4, which itunes rips them as?

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think you should also be able to control what did Google Play looks at by excluding dirt with the ".nomedia" file. Then use special purpose players for the special stuff (e.g. audiobooks, podcasts).

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
If the iTunes files are m4p then there's DRM involved and no Maple won't play them as is. There are free conversion programs--search for m4p to mp3 converter. I don't use iTunes but search results implied there is also a way to use iTunes itself to convert to mp3. You should be able to get there without too much hassle.

Jen Hogan

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I am very interested to hear what you found out. I just changed from iphone to galaxy yesterday and it look like it was going to be easy to just import my iTunes library and books in to the galaxy but I have found it very difficult.I have tried many of the suggestions I found online such as downloading this that and the other application and nothing has worked so far. I am and anxiety suffer and I listen to audio books ormeditation throughout the night on a loop. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong or why you can't just drag it into the phone