I take back all my hate on the S4.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
No we don't ALL make judgements about phones before they are released. Some of us have the good sense to handle devices prior to offering personal impressions.

Life would be nearly impossible if we couldn't learn from other people. You're suggesting, by continuing that argument forward, that learning abstract or standing on the shoulders of predecessors is impossible without first hand knowledge of every detail of the universe. Like you can't look at a picture of a device, or car or building and think, "that's ugly" with any shred of integrity, because you didn't touch the device or car or building yourself. You can know 99.99% about just about anything without ever touching it. You can know what the molecular composition of the rings of Saturn without taking your gloves off in space, or without going to space. You can know how many teeth a shark might have without sticking your fingers in and counting. The only thing you can't know without touching a device is what it feels like to you, although you can extrapolate it based on the context of your knowledge of other things combined with your comprehension of reviews by peers and experts. I'm sorry, but to suggest first hand - hands on experience is required in order to have "good sense" when commentating on a subject is just absurd.

This absurdity is multiplied when you consider that a person is offering their opinion and not a scientific analysis. Any person can think whatever they want, and since they're expressing their perception, there is no way for them to be incorrect. What they are perceiving may be incomplete or in disagreement with what you perceive, but accuracy is determined in that case by the articulation of their opinion, not the comprehensiveness of their understanding of the subject. If I say, "I think pink is an ugly color" and you think it's awesome, we disagree and those are opinions. In the real world, we'd both be stupid because pink is not a color, scientifically... but since we're just offering opinions of our impressions, it's okay for us to disagree and also okay to change our minds.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes, removable SD storage is not supported by Android officially. Manufacturers are of course free to make modifications to allow for it and they probably will continue to do so for awhile, but it's not just cloud storage that can replace the need, they could also make 512GB internal storage with very little added bulk to the device.

512GB cannot come soon enough, in actual fact, I was expecting Samsung to start the GS4 at 32GB, then 64GB and 128GB, thought we would see some 128GB phones this year, hopefully later this year we will.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I hope so, I hear the Snapdragon 800 can do 4K video, so chances are next year's flagship phones will have cam units that can do it and will need a ton of memory, this 16GB nonsense has to stop, it was fine like 2years ago.

Yeah, and they can do it. right now if they wanted to.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
This thread gives me hope for the fate of the HTC/Samsung communiy.

Edit: at least for some of them. Lol. Kudos to chetan for admitting a mistake. If everyone could do the same, this would be a much more peaceful place.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I'll accept that it's obviously YOUR human nature. Just don't lump me in that generalization based on your own experiences.

No it is general human nature.

- - - Updated - - -

This thread gives me hope for the fate of the HTC/Samsung communiy.

I hope the rivalry goes down. You would think that it was two countries fighting each other.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Life would be nearly impossible if we couldn't learn from other people. You're suggesting, by continuing that argument forward, that learning abstract or standing on the shoulders of predecessors is impossible without first hand knowledge of every detail of the universe. Like you can't look at a picture of a device, or car or building and think, "that's ugly" with any shred of integrity, because you didn't touch the device or car or building yourself. You can know 99.99% about just about anything without ever touching it. You can know what the molecular composition of the rings of Saturn without taking your gloves off in space, or without going to space. You can know how many teeth a shark might have without sticking your fingers in and counting. The only thing you can't know without touching a device is what it feels like to you, although you can extrapolate it based on the context of your knowledge of other things combined with your comprehension of reviews by peers and experts. I'm sorry, but to suggest first hand - hands on experience is required in order to have "good sense" when commentating on a subject is just absurd.

This absurdity is multiplied when you consider that a person is offering their opinion and not a scientific analysis. Any person can think whatever they want, and since they're expressing their perception, there is no way for them to be incorrect. What they are perceiving may be incomplete or in disagreement with what you perceive, but accuracy is determined in that case by the articulation of their opinion, not the comprehensiveness of their understanding of the subject. If I say, "I think pink is an ugly color" and you think it's awesome, we disagree and those are opinions. In the real world, we'd both be stupid because pink is not a color, scientifically... but since we're just offering opinions of our impressions, it's okay for us to disagree and also okay to change our minds.
Brevity is the soul of wit. YOUR opinion is duly noted and respected. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
In another thread someone said that they were limited to 64GB per single chip until this year so that's why we hadn't seen it broken yet.

This. Production ready versions of 128gb chips just happened fairly recently. Too recent to be in current flagships.

Physical size is a huge limiting factor. I don't see anybody releasing any capacity that would require more than one NAND chip.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
No it is general human nature.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope the rivalry goes down. You would think that it was two countries fighting each other.

Its just hard for some people to realize that two contending phones can offer two amazing yet different experiences without one being "better than the other."

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Its just hard for some people to realize that two contending phones can offer two amazing yet different experiences without one being "better than the other."

And in the midst of that, prospective buyers get negative feedback about both phones that most of the time isn't true. It's unfortunate.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Brevity is the soul of wit. YOUR opinion is duly noted and respected. We'll have to agree to disagree.

People make judgement based on experience all the time. If you've ever driven a car, you don't get out and measure the distance to each stop light before deciding when to break, you use your experience from other intersections to help you think about the new encounter. This is the same logic argument; it's just using experience of the S3 to think about the S4. It doesn't mean you'll reach the right conclusion, just that people prejudge just about everything and as they learn they evolve their understanding.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
People make judgement based on experience all the time. If you've ever driven a car, you don't get out and measure the distance to each stop light before deciding when to break, you use your experience from other intersections to help you think about the new encounter. This is the same logic argument; it's just using experience of the S3 to think about the S4. It doesn't mean you'll reach the right conclusion, just that people prejudge just about everything and as they learn they evolve their understanding.
Agreed, I hated the S3.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I will openly admit that I jump to conclusions and make assumptions all the time. Is it the right thing to do? No. But its in MY nature, atleast, to try to process and understand something before all facts are permitted. Its one of many curses of a constantly churning mind.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I will openly admit that I jump to conclusions and make assumptions all the time. Is it the right thing to do? No. But its in MY nature, atleast, to try to process and understand something before all facts are permitted. Its one of many curses of a constantly churning mind.

I wrote off the S4 as a phone I'd buy after the launch event. I decided to actually go play with one first before deciding to keep my One or not. Suffice it to say, I was wrong in my initial feeling.
It happens. As long as people use these devices and have correct information, no one can blame them for picking one or the other.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I wrote off the S4 as a phone I'd buy after the launch event. I decided to actually go play with one first before deciding to keep my One or not. Suffice it to say, I was wrong in my initial feeling.
It happens. As long as people use these devices and have correct information, no one can blame them for picking one or the other.

I'd say even if they picked up one for reasons stemming from incorrect information, oh well? We can try to educate, but in the end, it doesn't matter if they change their mind or exchange it or anything like that. We should be offering help and encouragement and adding integrity of debate, which includes supporting people adding their opinions and asking questions, even if we disagree with the premise upon which they create those thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech