[solved] S4 using Mobile Data instead of Wi Fi?

Amy Schwarz

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Just got my phone yesterday and I noticed while home on Wi-Fi the 4g symbol would occasionally pop up and then disappear but only used like 4 megs of data so wasn't worried about it. This morning I installed the ATT update which could be a coincidence but want to mention. Today my 4g I'd on all the time even while connected to Wi-Fi and it's definitely using it because I have gone up to 107 megs of usage. The symbol shows its being used when I go into apps like Instagram. Wi-Fi is fully functional because if I turn mobile data off it uses it fine, but if I turn it off I can't get MMS. Anyone else having this?? It's really making me mad!!

Last edited:

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: S4 using Mobile Data instead of Wi Fi?

Perhaps you should try a restart or factory reset. That's the solution to the vast majority of these types of problems.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

Mms messages use mobile data. That's why

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Like 20blks said, MMS uses mobile data, not WiFi... Also, make sure that your WiFi settings are set to always keep the WiFi connection alive; otherwise, when idle, your phone turns it off automatically, which would kick-in the 4G.

Amy Schwarz

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

I figured our what was using it. An app called ATT Messages. It used 130 megs!!! I disabled it and now it's back to minimal usage. I know MMS uses it but I hadn't sent any all day so knew something was wrong. This app wasn't doing that yesterday so I have to believe it happened when I updated?? But solved it so I will edit the title with that in case anyone else had it happen..