Camera widget on lock screen, favourite apps or camera option greyed out?

thyjones

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi there

Having a few problems with my samsung galaxy s4. I basically want to be able to access the camera quickly without having to unlock the phone. If I go into Settings > My Device then > Lock Screen, then Lock Screen Widgets, the option for Favourite apps or camera is greyed out.

Anyone know why? I suspect this may be something to do with the fact i Have it set to Pattern unlock? I also tried this with pin number unlock and it was greyed out then too.

Any ideas?

Thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, you can only use those with non-secure lockscreens. Samsung (perfectly right IMHO, but it seems to be an issue with some, especially ex-iOSers) decided that if you chose a secure lockscreen (like pattern or PIN), then you had to unlock your phone to access it; sounds about right! you did, after all, choose a SECURE lockscreen.

Also, if you don't enable the "Multiple Widgets on Lockscreen" option, those settings will also be disabled no matter what your lockscreen.

thyjones

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, you can only use those with non-secure lockscreens. Samsung (perfectly right IMHO, but it seems to be an issue with some, especially ex-iOSers) decided that if you chose a secure lockscreen (like pattern or PIN), then you had to unlock your phone to access it; sounds about right! you did, after all, choose a SECURE lockscreen.

Also, if you don't enable the "Multiple Widgets on Lockscreen" option, those settings will also be disabled no matter what your lockscreen.

Thanks for the reply, yeah that's what I thought, makes sense really. Just used to my iphone really where I had to unlock it with a Pin but could also take a photo directly without unlocking it, which was reallly useful if you're quickly trying to take a photo before the moment has gone.. I don't like the idea of having an unsecure phone so I'll have to go down the unlock route first then unless there are other ways to get around this?

Thanks again