I have had every iPhone since it came out in 2007. I finally decided to move on to Android as I wanted more customization and options for a bigger screen. I have been coming to forums for years and the some of the biggest complaints on the iPhone was the lack of removable battery and no option for an sd card. I realize the HTC One is a premium device that looks and performs great. But it just surprises me that Android fans would buy a phone with these shortcomings. For you long time Android users that bought the One, how were you able to make these tradeoffs? I bought the S4 and absolutely love it. I don't know why everyone rips on the build. I came from an iPhone 5 and still love the S4's build. To me the S4 is the best of all world's. A 5 inch screen is the perfect size, you can add storage and removable batteries. You get 4.2.2 out of the box. The list goes on and on. I am just scratching the surface of android and couldn't be happier.

Posted via Android Central App
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-11-2013 03:15 PM
    I have had every iPhone since it came out in 2007. I finally decided to move on to Android as I wanted more customization and options for a bigger screen. I have been coming to forums for years and the some of the biggest complaints on the iPhone was the lack of removable battery and no option for an sd card. I realize the HTC One is a premium device that looks and performs great. But it just surprises me that Android fans would buy a phone with these shortcomings. For you long time Android users that bought the One, how were you able to make these tradeoffs? I bought the S4 and absolutely love it. I don't know why everyone rips on the build. I came from an iPhone 5 and still love the S4's build. To me the S4 is the best of all world's. A 5 inch screen is the perfect size, you can add storage and removable batteries. You get 4.2.2 out of the box. The list goes on and on. I am just scratching the surface of android and couldn't be happier.

"Short comings." Why would you think no sd card and removable battery is a short coming? You get a choice of 32gb, 26 usable from the HTC One from the same (or even half) the price of a 16 gb Samsung S4, that has 8 gb of usable data. As far as removable battery goes, you might have a point but most users aren't going to be on their phone for 6 hours+ a day (screentime). The li-poly battery on the HTC is probably going to outlast my phone. The HTC One offers me what I want: Blinkfeed, low-light camera, no lag beautiful UI, smaller screen that I can see really well in sunlight.
    But on the other hand you gave reasons why people would buy the S4, and I totally get that because the S4 is a titan of a phone. It really depends on what you want from a phone.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-11-2013 04:11 PM
    "Short comings." Why would you think no sd card and removable battery is a short coming? You get a choice of 32gb, 26 usable from the HTC One from the same (or even half) the price of a 16 gb Samsung S4, that has 8 gb of usable data. As far as removable battery goes, you might have a point but most users aren't going to be on their phone for 6 hours+ a day (screentime). The li-poly battery on the HTC is probably going to outlast my phone. The HTC One offers me what I want: Blinkfeed, low-light camera, no lag beautiful UI, smaller screen that I can see really well in sunlight.
    But on the other hand you gave reasons why people would buy the S4, and I totally get that because the S4 is a titan of a phone. It really depends on what you want from a phone.
    I had 25GB on my One and close to 10GB on my S4, just for the record.
    05-11-2013 04:19 PM
    Not to mention you can't put apps on the sd card. So its only good for music, videos and pics. If touchwiz didn't take up 7+ GB you wouldn't need expandable memory.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-11-2013 04:22 PM
    Not to mention you can't put apps on the sd card. So its only good for music, videos and pics. If touchwiz didn't take up 7+ GB you wouldn't need expandable memory.

I'd agree, but I think if HTC made a 16GB One, it'd only have 10-11GB. It's just the way things are going now.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    05-11-2013 04:26 PM

For the battery and SD card complaints. Back then we had tiny storage. When the iPhone had 8 and 16 GB you were luck to get 8 on a Android. Some only had 4. And battery life wasn't as good as it is now, especially when LTE first came out with the Thunderbolt. Replacing a battery on the fly was an important. Not so much now anymore.

Also can anyone name a big difference in 4.2.2 and 4.1? Also the S4 will be a version behind next week.

05-11-2013 04:27 PM
    I'd agree, but I think if HTC made a 16GB One, it'd only have 10-11GB. It's just the way things are going now.
    Yeah I was just about to say the same thing
    05-11-2013 04:40 PM
    The lack of expandable mem in the One for me is an issue, and 8GB in 16GB GS4 is not enough so I got a 32GB GS4 and I threw in my 32GB SanDisk. Got 23GB free for apps games, Camera pics plus vids and documents in the Internal and around 29GB in the card for Music, Videos/Movies, Back-ups of my ROMs if I decide to go rogue, lol and whatever else.I can't imagine being limited to anything less than 20GB in a smartphone, I'd go mental having to delete and replace.
    05-11-2013 04:55 PM
    But HTC didn't make a 16GB version so your point is moot, just from a pure cost perspective. Also, how can you have only gotten 25gb but 10gb on the S4? I had a little over 8gb on the S4 for the couple of days I used it.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-11-2013 05:05 PM
    But HTC didn't make a 16GB version so your point is moot, just from a pure cost perspective. Also, how can you have only gotten 25gb but 10gb on the S4? I had a little over 8gb on the S4 for the couple of days I used it.
    The AT&T version has 9.72GB available. What I'm saying is that if you're going to give Samsung a hard time for saying 16GB and giving 9-10GB, the same should be given to HTC for saying 32GB and giving 25GB. Only difference is that with expandable storage, you can compensate and put all your media on the SD card.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    05-11-2013 05:13 PM
    For the battery and SD card complaints. Back then we had tiny storage. When the iPhone had 8 and 16 GB you were luck to get 8 on a Android. Some only had 4. And battery life wasn't as good as it is now, especially when LTE first came out with the Thunderbolt. Replacing a battery on the fly was an important. Not so much now anymore.

Also can anyone name a big difference in 4.2.2 and 4.1? Also the S4 will be a version behind next week.

Yes 4.2.2 has lock screen widgets and the bug fix for Bluetooth voice to text. 2 big features missing on the One.
    05-11-2013 05:18 PM
    The AT&T version has 9.72GB available. What I'm saying is that if you're going to give Samsung a hard time for saying 16GB and giving 9-10GB, the same should be given to HTC for saying 32GB and giving 25GB. Only difference is that with expandable storage, you can compensate and put all your media on the SD card.
    This. My 32GB S4 has 24 usable, so it's negligible compared to the One. I now have 24GB for apps and Google Music and 29GB for pictures, movies, and whatever else.

Side note: These threads seriously need to end. They never end well, and people are going to defend what they believe in. If Samsung puts a bionic arm in the next Galaxy that is linked to your thoughts and text for you, there will be people that love it and some that don't. That's a good thing. Luckily the industry has a ton of choices. These threads are a cancer that's eating away at the forums. No one cares how big your phones dong is, most would agree with me. Yeah I realize I'm not helping by posting here, but I had to find somewhere to vent.

I'll probably get flamed for this too but honestly it's Saturday and I could give two ****s less at this point. I think mods need to start putting a lock on threads like this. It solves nothing. If people wanting to buy new phones want a comparison, there's awesome, unbiased reviews on almost every tech site including this one.

skiner5246 likes this.
    05-11-2013 05:28 PM
    AT&T HTC One gave me 26GB, and I'll take your word and say that S4 loses 6gb also from OS. That leaves a 16gb difference between the phones (10 S4, 26 One). If you use more than 16gb of expandable storage for your media than yes, you got a good deal. And with things like Mini MicroSD Reader for Android Smartphones & Tablets by Andy & Rich — Kickstarter coming out soon this will give the HTC a chance to use micro-sds also (at the cost of that sd reader, of course, which is a set back) but then you take into account the extra 16gb you get for apps and such.

Obviously no phone is perfect, but from an average user (and even heavy user) perspective, the expandable storage isn't always necessary. And as far as 4.2.2 goes, I agree the One is pretty pathetic for not coming shipped with it.

I don't want you to think I'm a fanboy, you can see from my other posts I have certain issues with the way HTC does things. But I just don't understand how some people can call certain things "short comings." But if people really wanted a micro-sd slot, they can just get the official Chinese version .
    05-11-2013 05:32 PM
    This. My 32GB S4 has 24 usable, so it's negligible compared to the One. I now have 24GB for apps and Google Music and 29GB for pictures, movies, and whatever else.

Side note: These threads seriously need to end. They never end well, and people are going to defend what they believe in. If Samsung puts a bionic arm in the next Galaxy that is linked to your thoughts and text for you, there will be people that love it and some that don't. That's a good thing. Luckily the industry has a ton of choices. These threads are a cancer that's eating away at the forums. No one cares how big your phones dong is, most would agree with me. Yeah I realize I'm not helping by posting here, but I had to find somewhere to vent.

I'll probably get flamed for this too but honestly it's Saturday and I could give two ****s less at this point. I think mods need to start putting a lock on threads like this. It solves nothing. If people wanting to buy new phones want a comparison, there's awesome, unbiased reviews on almost every tech site including this one.

I agree. What bothers me the most is misconceptions between these two phones. There are people who would love the S4, but won't end up buying it because they read something incorrect about it. Same with the One. Those misconceptions typically come from threads like these.
    Statusnone likes this.
    05-11-2013 05:36 PM
    Yes 4.2.2 has lock screen widgets and the bug fix for Bluetooth voice to text. 2 big features missing on the One.
    Those are the only reasons I traded for the s4. The bluetooth anyways. The one was an awsome phone and I will get it on my next upgrade in 20 days just to have it. But I have to have BT as I drive a truck for a living. Im sure it will be fixed via an update but I couldn't wait.
    madlaw1071 likes this.
    05-11-2013 06:08 PM
    I wouldn't call these shortcomings, cons or negatives of the One. Only positives of the S4. I don't need expandable storage on the One. The 32GB model has plenty of space. Also, I can't find a 32GB S4 here in Aus yet and <10GB isn't enough for my apps. A removable battery is one of my favorite parts of the S4 but the One has long enough battery-life. I do like the idea of swapping though and if my battery starts losing capacity, I could just replace it.

Anyway, removable storage/batteries, are the least of my reasons for choosing Android.
    05-11-2013 07:02 PM
    That is a great point. So because internal storage has increased over the years, it is no longer as big of a deal to have a micro sd card slot. That does make sense. I like having the option of having an sd card just because I've haven't had that option in a phone in some time. I would say to that battery life has continued to get better and also you can get a battery pack instead of a another battery, so the removable battery isn't as significant as it once was.

05-11-2013 10:25 PM
    Just to make it clear. The 16GB Nexus 4 gives you 12.92 GB left. That will give an idea how much bloat is on your phone, whether it is a GS4 or One.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-11-2013 10:33 PM
    OK you got a good point there. I don't use BT or lock screen widgets.

05-11-2013 10:44 PM