11-15-2013 05:17 AM
37 12
tools
    Using your phone while charging won't mess up your battery. There are many devices on the market that do not even allow you to charge the battery while it is powered off. The moment you plug it in it turns on while it charges. So what difference if you use it at the same time. Plus the power pack does not have a replaceable battery.

You can get a spare battery that comes with a standalone charger. That way you can charge your phone and the spare battery at the same time. And one thing others may have not mentioned. Having spare batteries makes them last much longer since you are not putting just one phone battery though all your charge cycles. Often you can make it though the day on one battery and you will not have to recharge your spare.

As others have stated, swapping in a fresh battery is much quicker than charging a battery. I don't have multiple devices to charge so for me I don't care. If I do bring my tablet it lasts much longer than my phone anyway. I've had a spare battery or two for every phone I've had for the last 10 years.

I've had portable chargers in the past mad I only used them in emergencies. So for me, when I had both the usb portable charger and a spare battery with me, I went for the spare battery. Plus I don't want anything putting strain on my usb port! That's another reason why I am converting this phone to be able to use the two Palm Touchstone chargers I ready have. I don't want to use the usb port for anything other than usb data transfers.

And after coming from webOS, I'm used to being able to take a shower while my phone reboots. With the GS4 I can actually hold my breath and not die before it boots up.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2
    "And after coming from webOS, I'm used to being able to take a shower while my phone reboots. With the GS4 I can actually hold my breath and not die before it boots up."

Thumbs up for this comment. Loving the blazing fast S4. <3
    vasekvi likes this.
    05-13-2013 08:04 AM
    Been using the Anker universal charger since my GS2 days.
    Omer San Gabriel likes this.
    05-13-2013 11:15 AM
    What brand are you using? Or can you give me a link of it?
    The one I'm currently using is from New Trent. It also functions as a charger, so it's one less thing to carry on trips.

New Trent 6000 mAh charger at Amazon
    05-13-2013 11:18 AM
    I bought the Extra Battery Kit when I had the S3.

We went to Las Vegas last year and I brought the Kit with me since my boy also had the S3 too.

I have the S4 & One so clearly a Power Brick is my pick.
    05-13-2013 12:25 PM
    Someone with better EE knowledge can correct me, but something to remember about external batteries, is they won't give you the stated power capacity for actual use, since something like 30% of it will be lost in charging the internal battery from the external. So 2600mah external power bank should only give you around 1800mah of power on your phone. At least that's my understanding.
    05-13-2013 04:16 PM
    Like I said I have the extra 5000mAh battery pack with me and a I am ordering the extra battery and charger. It pays to have a quick swap out, then plug the external battery charger into the power pack and recharge it. Then I am ready to go. I can get nearly 2 charges out of the battery pack plus the 2 batteries, life will be much easier.
    05-13-2013 08:05 PM
    Using your phone while charging won't mess up your battery. There are many devices on the market that do not even allow you to charge the battery while it is powered off. The moment you plug it in it turns on while it charges. So what difference if you use it at the same time. Plus the power pack does not have a replaceable battery.

If you read this article, you will see that a lithium ion battery is able to go though many more charge cycles if you keep it topped off before allowing it to fully deplete. Even then, the last phone I had that I had a spare battery for, I would let the spare battery run down before swapping, and after two years the battery health on my batteries were still better than 90 percent. Batteries are cheap enough anyway.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

You can get a spare battery that comes with a standalone charger. That way you can charge your phone and the spare battery at the same time. And one thing others may have not mentioned. Having spare batteries makes them last much longer since you are not putting just one phone battery though all your charge cycles. Often you can make it though the day on one battery and you will not have to recharge your spare.

As others have stated, swapping in a fresh battery is much quicker than charging a battery. I don't have multiple devices to charge so for me I don't care. If I do bring my tablet it lasts much longer than my phone anyway. I've had a spare battery or two for every phone I've had for the last 10 years.

I've had portable chargers in the past mad I only used them in emergencies. So for me, when I had both the usb portable charger and a spare battery with me, I went for the spare battery. Plus I don't want anything putting strain on my usb port! That's another reason why I am converting this phone to be able to use the two Palm Touchstone chargers I ready have. I don't want to use the usb port for anything other than usb data transfers.

And after coming from webOS, I'm used to being able to take a shower while my phone reboots. With the GS4 I can actually hold my breath and not die before it boots up.

I've read some of the sentences but I not quite get it. =)) Sorry for that.
    So i came from a long line of iPhone phones and what i've understand is 1 Charge Cycle is = Depleting the battery then charging it to 100%. Is this correct? How about when you depleted it and you did not have enough time to fully charge it let say until 70% is that bad? I've read that not fully charge battery when depleted will cost you 4 charge cycles.
    05-13-2013 10:33 PM
    I've read some of the sentences but I not quite get it. =)) Sorry for that.
    So i came from a long line of iPhone phones and what i've understand is 1 Charge Cycle is = Depleting the battery then charging it to 100%. Is this correct? How about when you depleted it and you did not have enough time to fully charge it let say until 70% is that bad? I've read that not fully charge battery when depleted will cost you 4 charge cycles.
    Read the article that I put the link on. To put as simply as possible, the deeper the depth of discharge, the less cycles the battery will be able to go through. As the chart showed as an example, if your depth of discharge is 100% which is fully depleted, the battery will be able to undergo 300-500 charge cycles. If you run a battery down to 50% and recharge, it will be able to go through 1200-1500 charge cycles. On the other end of the scale, if you drain a battery only 10% and have 90% remaining, you will be able to recharge it more than 4000 times on average. It's good to know both sides of the story, and this would actually support the use of an external charger.

But the whole point about having an Android device is to have the freedom to let it do what you want it to do. That freedom includes not having a cable with a battery connected to your phone as you use it. But that is your choice. I don't have this phone to try to make the battery go though as many charge cycles as possible. With my last phone, I would typically swap batteries, if convenient, when my first battery went down to 20%. After 2 years of use, I still had over 90% health left in both my batteries. So even if I wanted to keep the phone longer, the batteries were still good. And to keep the batteries topped off, I had two inductive chargers, one at home and one in my car. The GS4 supports inductive charging too ;-)

05-14-2013 06:25 AM
    I choose power bank, just do not want change the internal battery.
    08-14-2013 03:38 AM
    Id like to choose power bank.
    09-13-2013 11:20 PM
    I would prefer an external battery charger. It won't add weight to the phone if you wear a battery case. And it's safer than to have a third party li-ion battery.
    Of course, budget is one of most important factor concerning the charger, I've a chance to get a RavPower 10400mAh for just $29.99 (cannot believe I pay
    this amount to get such a large one). It's been half a year and I'm super happy with it. Amazon.com: RAVPower Element 10400mAh External Battery Pack Charger Power Bank (Dual USB Outputs, Ultra Compact Design), for iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4, iPad Air, 4, 3, 2, Mini 2 (Apple adapters not included); Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, Note 3, Note 2;
    11-15-2013 02:49 AM
    I prefer this.
    Extra Battery + Battery Charger VS PowerBank. Which one will you prefer?-mugenizer-n11-1.jpg
    it's a powerbank Mugenizer N11 that has a QI charger, USB charger and a powerbank in one
    11-15-2013 05:17 AM
37 12