Extra Battery + Battery Charger VS PowerBank. Which one will you prefer?

Omer San Gabriel

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Extra Battery + Battery Charger = You can swap battery if the one you are using has run out
Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Battery-Charger-Stand-with-Battery.jpg

PowerBank = Portable charger
POWER_BANK.jpg

I'm not much of a power user but i'm planning to get one, but i'm not quite sure what to get. Can you tell me some Pros and Cons of the 2 items? And which one will you prefer?

PaulWog

May 1, 2013
Visit site
The way I see it, they both have their pros and cons. I'm actually going to get both. Why? Well, why not. I'm not a power user either.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Pros (+) and Cons (-)....

Extra Battery:
+ No wires necessary to recharge
+ smaller size to carry around
+ less expensive
- can only be used for your phone
- requires rebooting your phone

Battery Charger:
+ can power multiple devices
+ more power than a standard size battery
+ no rebooting necessary
- requires a wire to charge the device
- larger size for carrying
- more expensive

Omer San Gabriel

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Pros (+) and Cons (-)....

Extra Battery:
+ No wires necessary to recharge
+ smaller size to carry around
+ less expensive
- can only be used for your phone
- requires rebooting your phone

Battery Charger:
+ can power multiple devices
+ more power than a standard size battery
+ no rebooting necessary
- requires a wire to charge the device
- larger size for carrying
- more expensive

Thanks sir! Much appropriated! But i wonder, which one will you get? :)

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Extra Battery + Battery Charger = You can swap battery if the one you are using has run out
http://q8allinone.com/wp-content/up...axy-S3-Battery-Charger-Stand-with-Battery.jpg

PowerBank = Portable charger
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/1351699/25381203/0/1334014379/POWER_BANK.jpg

I'm not much of a power user but i'm planning to get one, but i'm not quite sure what to get. Can you tell me some Pros and Cons of the 2 items? And which one will you prefer?

Why both, of course!

I like the Anker 3000mAH external battery.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks sir! Much appropriated! But i wonder, which one will you get? :)

Well, I currently have the S3 with a spare battery. But I'm considering ditching Verizon to get the HTC One. If I do, then my only option would be the power charger.

If I stick with the S3 (or go with the S4, which is unlikely at this point), I'd go the spare battery route only because it's smaller to carry around.

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't like depending on an extra internal battery, because using means I need to shutdown the phone, swap batteries, then reboot, and rebooting takes too long. YMMV, but for the few times I need extra power, I use what you're calling a PowerBank.

Really only use it when traveling, but works really well for me. I had a 12,000 mAhr pack, but it was too heavy. Sweet spot for me is about 4000-6000 mAhr - enough to recharge a couple times,without being too heavy to travel with.

Omer San Gabriel

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't like depending on an extra internal battery, because using means I need to shutdown the phone, swap batteries, then reboot, and rebooting takes too long. YMMV, but for the few times I need extra power, I use what you're calling a PowerBank.

Really only use it when traveling, but works really well for me. I had a 12,000 mAhr pack, but it was too heavy. Sweet spot for me is about 4000-6000 mAhr - enough to recharge a couple times,without being too heavy to travel with.

What brand are you using? Or can you give me a link of it? :)

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

With a swappable, internal battery you put it in a go (takes me less than a minute on my S4). With a power pack you have to charge your phone with it attached. I wouldn't want to use the phone that monstrosity hanging off of it.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I got a 5000mAh battery pack that has 1A and 2A charging ports a while back on an Amazon promo but I still plan on getting the spare battery and charger for quick swap and go especially when you don't have time to be tethered to a device for charging.

BTW, amazon.com has the Samsung 2600mAh battery+charger listed as coming on 5-26 and its up for pre-order.

mpdofficer514

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Reboots on newer devices take less than a minute. So, would you rather swap out a fully charged fresh battery in 1 minute or have a rather large external battery hanging from your phone for an hour or more?

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Using Android Central App

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I have both but prefer an external battery. That one external battery can charge/power any device. An extra internal battery only works for that one device. When I carry the external battery I also bring a very long USB cable to make the tether easier.

Thanks for asking. Choose what works for you.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3

PaulWog

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered an Astro Slim2: [New] Anker? Astro Slim2 4500mAh Dual 5V 1A Output Ultra Slim External Battery with Hideaway Micro-USB for Android, USB Port for iPhones and other devices

Seems like a good choice. It comes with a built-in Micro-USB piece, and is relatively slim, so it'll be easy to pocket in a jacket.

I wanted to pick up their 2600mah battery, since it's only $13, but it only ships within the US and I'm Canadian :( I don't want to have to spend the extra cash on the Samsung-branded battery.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I prefer an extra battery, I wan never fond of carrying another device to charge my battery when all I need is to put a charged battery in my phone

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I also have the Anker external battery - small, light, built in micro USB cable (tucks into the battery charger itself). Haven't even considered an extra battery - too much hassle.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had both and plugging up to a powerbank is a pain. It's bulkier than just having an extra battery plus you have to be tethered to it while it's charging. While it's true that it can power other devices, I usually only carry two other things, my tablet and my bluetooth headphones, neither of which usually runs out of juice so I have no need for it. This is coming from a person who has owned both. I pretty much never used the powerbank, but I swapped batteries all of the time. I eventually just gave the powerbank to my wife cause her battery isn't removable.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I also have the Anker external battery - small, light, built in micro USB cable (tucks into the battery charger itself). Haven't even considered an extra battery - too much hassle.
How could changing out a battery in less than a minute be more hassle than carrying around rather large (compared to a battery) battery charger and being tethered to it when you use it? Am I missing something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC