So I'm saving up for a new phone as my aging Galaxy Nexus is showing it's age, and I'm split between the S4 and the Find 5. I will most likely buy either one for full price. So for this, I am considering either a 16 gig version of the S4 or the 32 gig version of the Find 5. I'm in US (New York), and on T-Mobile.

Here's what's important to me and what I don't really care about:

What I like about both phones:
    - have a 5 inch 1080p screens
    - have 2 gigs of RAM
    - have great cameras: from the photos I've seen, they both look great to me

What I don't really care about when it comes to both phones:
    - OS version and software: I will probably root and flash a custom ROM the same week, so OS version and all of the UI overlays are not important to me. Although, if I do decide to keep it stock for a while, I find Oppo's UI to be much more polished. The new Touchwiz seems like a cluttered mess.
    - Processing power: Oppo Find 5 has a Snapdragon S4 Pro and Galaxy S4 has Snapdragon 600. Even though the 600 is faster, both are proven beasts. And both are miles ahead of the crappy Texas Instruments CPU in my Galaxy Nexus.
    - LTE: I don't browse much when I'm out and about, but when I do, I find that HSPA+ works fine for me.
    - Battery life and removable battery: they both have good-sized batteries, so battery life is a non-issue for me. It's nice to have a removable battery, but I don't really swap batteries, so again, a non-issue.
    - Expandable storage: 32 gigs is enough for me, and Oppo comes with that, and I can simply get an SD card for the S4. If I have at least 15-20 gigs available for my music, I'm a happy camper.

What I like about the S4:
    - camera features: although I mentioned that I don't really care about the OS version and features, this is one part of the S4's software that I am interested in. I like taking random photos and it's nice to have a lot of camera features to play with.
    - SAMOLED display: I like those bright and saturated colors. But (see next part)

What I don't like about the S4:
    - SAMOLED display: washed out whites, they look either blue or yellow. Difficult to see in direct sunlight, even at full brightness.
    - design: it's a generic slab of a phone. It's boring, uninspired, and looks completely generic. Plus the physical home button is just awkward.
    - feel and build quality: I had a Nexus S for over a year, so I know what Sammy's shiny plastic feels like - like a cheap *** toy. And judging by the S3, the S4 still uses the same exact plastic.

What I like about the Find 5:
    - design: it's subtle but unique enough to stand out
    - the uniqueness of the phone overall: I like the fact that very few people have heard of Oppo. I never heard of them before this device. I guess I'm a bit anti-mainstream, so I like unique things.
    - display: sure, I've never actually seen the phone up close, but from all of the reviews I've read and watched, the Find 5 has one of the best, if not THE best 1080p screen on a phone.

What I don't like about the Find 5:
    - unproven (?) track record with mobile: Oppo has only a handful of phone models and they're not really for sale in US, none that I've heard of. Will this phone be officially supported in 6 months? Will developers, hackers, and tinkerers support this phone in 6 months? I think it's an understandable concern for someone who likes to flash customs ROMs from time to time.

Some extra notes: I listen to music pretty much everywhere I go. I mostly use ATH-M50 headphones and sometimes Koss PortaPro's. I expect the sound quality to be good on both phones, but if anybody knows for a fact which is better, let me know. I also love customizing the hell outta my phone. I'll probably download Apex and Nova launchers day one, and customize them with UCCW, Zooper, and custom icons. With everything said, I'm leaning more towards the Find 5.

So, any thoughts?
    05-12-2013 03:58 PM
    Well, you clearly know your products, solid post.

The only two advantages the GS4 has over the Find 5 are:
    - Snapdragon 600
    - LTE

Personally, I don't like physical buttons or AMOLED displays, not to mention TouchWiz. So I would likely grab the F5; good hardware specs, terrific build quality, good design, great display.
    05-12-2013 04:19 PM
    You mention not liking the screen on the S4 which I would consider a big issue. I agree about the difficulty seeing it in direct daylight but other than that I think it looks fine. Overall performance and support of past Galaxy models would be enough to swing me in that direction. I also think the Find 5 looks kind of cheap and generic. Almost looks like a knock-off HTC One.
    orion575 likes this.
    05-12-2013 04:45 PM
    I have the s4 and the only other phone that has even remotely been close to grab my attention is the oppo find 5. Only negative about it is the Ui but hell slap nova launcher on it and bam!!! That is one sleek device

Posted from my amazing white Galaxy S4
    madlaw1071 likes this.
    05-12-2013 04:49 PM
    I'm getting the Oppo Find 5. I like what I see in the design, and that UI looks pretty slick. Not to mention the fact that Oppo updates the phone monthly. I can live without LTE for a phone like that.

Sent from my Sony Xperia P
    05-12-2013 05:44 PM
    I'm getting the Oppo Find 5. I like what I see in the design, and that UI looks pretty slick. Not to mention the fact that Oppo updates the phone monthly. I can live without LTE for a phone like that.

Sent from my Sony Xperia P
    They update it twice a month!

Posted from my amazing white Galaxy S4
    paul-c likes this.
    05-12-2013 05:48 PM
    I don't think the S4 feels cheap, but judging from what you've said I think the Find 5 would suit you better.
    05-12-2013 06:06 PM
    So I'm saving up for a new phone as my aging Galaxy Nexus is showing it's age, and I'm split between the S4 and the Find 5. I will most likely buy either one for full price. So for this, I am considering either a 16 gig version of the S4 or the 32 gig version of the Find 5. I'm in US (New York), and on T-Mobile.

Here's what's important to me and what I don't really care about:

What I like about both phones:
    - have a 5 inch 1080p screens
    - have 2 gigs of RAM
    - have great cameras: from the photos I've seen, they both look great to me

What I don't really care about when it comes to both phones:
    - OS version and software: I will probably root and flash a custom ROM the same week, so OS version and all of the UI overlays are not important to me. Although, if I do decide to keep it stock for a while, I find Oppo's UI to be much more polished. The new Touchwiz seems like a cluttered mess.
    - Processing power: Oppo Find 5 has a Snapdragon S4 Pro and Galaxy S4 has Snapdragon 600. Even though the 600 is faster, both are proven beasts. And both are miles ahead of the crappy Texas Instruments CPU in my Galaxy Nexus.
    - LTE: I don't browse much when I'm out and about, but when I do, I find that HSPA+ works fine for me.
    - Battery life and removable battery: they both have good-sized batteries, so battery life is a non-issue for me. It's nice to have a removable battery, but I don't really swap batteries, so again, a non-issue.
    - Expandable storage: 32 gigs is enough for me, and Oppo comes with that, and I can simply get an SD card for the S4. If I have at least 15-20 gigs available for my music, I'm a happy camper.

What I like about the S4:
    - camera features: although I mentioned that I don't really care about the OS version and features, this is one part of the S4's software that I am interested in. I like taking random photos and it's nice to have a lot of camera features to play with.
    - SAMOLED display: I like those bright and saturated colors. But (see next part)

What I don't like about the S4:
    - SAMOLED display: washed out whites, they look either blue or yellow. Difficult to see in direct sunlight, even at full brightness.
    - design: it's a generic slab of a phone. It's boring, uninspired, and looks completely generic. Plus the physical home button is just awkward.
    - feel and build quality: I had a Nexus S for over a year, so I know what Sammy's shiny plastic feels like - like a cheap *** toy. And judging by the S3, the S4 still uses the same exact plastic.

What I like about the Find 5:
    - design: it's subtle but unique enough to stand out
    - the uniqueness of the phone overall: I like the fact that very few people have heard of Oppo. I never heard of them before this device. I guess I'm a bit anti-mainstream, so I like unique things.
    - display: sure, I've never actually seen the phone up close, but from all of the reviews I've read and watched, the Find 5 has one of the best, if not THE best 1080p screen on a phone.

What I don't like about the Find 5:
    - unproven (?) track record with mobile: Oppo has only a handful of phone models and they're not really for sale in US, none that I've heard of. Will this phone be officially supported in 6 months? Will developers, hackers, and tinkerers support this phone in 6 months? I think it's an understandable concern for someone who likes to flash customs ROMs from time to time.

Some extra notes: I listen to music pretty much everywhere I go. I mostly use ATH-M50 headphones and sometimes Koss PortaPro's. I expect the sound quality to be good on both phones, but if anybody knows for a fact which is better, let me know. I also love customizing the hell outta my phone. I'll probably download Apex and Nova launchers day one, and customize them with UCCW, Zooper, and custom icons. With everything said, I'm leaning more towards the Find 5.

So, any thoughts?
    Simple solution. Try them both out, of course that may not be possible with the Oppo.

Have you had a look at the One? maybe you would like that more?
    05-13-2013 02:11 AM
    Why not own both?
    05-13-2013 06:44 AM
    Why not own both?
    Not everyone can afford to keep 2 phones going...

Posted via Android Central App
    05-13-2013 06:52 AM
    You'd get better accessories with the s4 because of the large availability and there is also a wireless charging back cover available for it.
    05-20-2013 01:08 AM
    @ventura726 Do you think the oppo find 5 looks cheap? I think the galaxy s4 looks cheap and it feels cheap too.
    06-17-2013 07:08 AM
    I got the oppo find 5 and that's the best phone I've ever tested!
    It has no lags at all and camera is fast and amazing, since I am
    listening to music all day (djay) i really love the dirac HD sound
    and dolby digital 3.0, it just an outstanding sound you can't
    compare to another phone! It has such a solid built quality, that
    you think it can't break. Altjoigh it's pretty heavy (165g) you're
    hand doesn't get tired after a while!
    Take the oppo it's just an amazing phone and even the price is low!
    06-24-2013 08:29 AM