User Review: Samsung Galaxy S4

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Great review. I have one question that I can't seem to figure out. With lock screen widgets enabled and I receive a message, just the widget for messaging is on the screen giving no information such as who messaged or even a preview of the message. You mentioned this in your review but I can't seem to get it to work. Thanks!!

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Great review. I have one question that I can't seem to figure out. With lock screen widgets enabled and I receive a message, just the widget for messaging is on the screen giving no information such as who messaged or even a preview of the message. You mentioned this in your review but I can't seem to get it to work. Thanks!!

In the messaging app, hit the menu button to go to settings. There's a box for "Preview Message" under the notification settings part.

Johnny Roberts

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely terrific review! I agree with just about all of it, and anyone on the fence about buying a sG4 should really read this review. There is a lot of misleading information out there regarding this phone and thanks for helping to set it straight. Thanks also for the valid comparisons to other Samsung devices, as it gives people more solid comparisons as opposed to some other agenda. Refreshing!

This is a fantastic device that once the dust settles, will be appreciated for what it is, simply one of the best smartphones ever.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Good write up. I can tell you gave this some thought. Should have my 32GB (ATT) tomorrow according to UPS. I doubt I will use air gesture, air view or the smart scroll, stay, pause etc as I have not used any of the features of that sort on my Note 2. I see them as nice to have but somewhat gimmicky for my taste. I use multi window occasionally and will probably use it more when more apps can work with it in the stock form. I am looking forward to the IR blaster as my daughter is a pro at hiding my remotes so she can watch her shows or netflix. Hopefully it works with a FiOS DVR? lol!

I am not looking forward to the bloatware as I just counted 21 apps disabled on my Note 2 but I guess with 24GB not a big deal. It is not like I need the space but wanted a higher resell once I look to sell it and it may be backlash against my Nexus 4 which has 16 GB and no storage option. I have rooted and ROM'ed in the past but that got old waiting on an update to fix some bug...so not worried about the locked boot loader as I will stay stock.

I ordered a SGP Ultra Oleophobic screen protector. What is the general consensus on the screen? How many are using screen protectors versus bare screen. I am looking forward to getting it but will probably not set it up tomorrow depending on how late my UPS person comes (normally between 6 and 7 pm) and how much homework my kids have! LOL!

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Would someone please make a negative comment, trash the review or tell us why their phone is better than the S4? It just won't seem like a normal thread in this forum until that happens. :D

Great job Eric!

It's part of the reason I left the comparisons out. Some people just want to know how the phone works and what it's strengths/weaknesses are. I think personal preference in devices should be left out of reviews. I don't want to discourage people from buying another device just because I chose the S4. I want them to understand the device from someone who's used it and make their own decision based on what suits them.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Very good review. I'll be the first to say that my initial thoughts on the device were not real positive after reading most of the reviews on the major blogs and playing with the s4 in the store on a couple of occasions. I really did love my HTC One and didn't think there was a better device on the market. (Disclaimer: I'm not trying to start a One vs S4 poo flinging contest. Both are amazing. Leave it alone.) However, I was overcome by my addiction to new, shiny toys and on my 3rd trip to the AT&T store (after happy hour, thus impairing my decision making ability) I purchased the S4. Long story short my SIM has not left the device since other than to swap out my 16gb for the 32gb. After installing the update, slapping Nova on top of the TW launcher, doing the usual tweaks to decrease the little bit of lag that there was, I'm completely happy with the S4 and I absolutely love the picture quality that the camera produces. While I miss the nifty Zoe and highlight features, the S4 camera is a much better general purpose performer in my opinion. Between that, the battery life, and the larger screen it became my device of choice for my daily driver while I hang on to my One and Nexus 4 as change of pace devices.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It's part of the reason I left the comparisons out. Some people just want to know how the phone works and what it's strengths/weaknesses are. I think personal preference in devices should be left out of reviews. I don't want to discourage people from buying another device just because I chose the S4. I want them to understand the device from someone who's used it and make their own decision based on what suits them.

Well, that's one of the reasons I like the review. I wish everyone had your philosophy. But have you noticed how many posts there are here from people with 1, 2, or 3 total posts that insinuate a problem with the S4. Here's one example "Does anyone notice how the bezel around the S4 is kinda scratched when used under the sun, or other strong lighting?" Posted by a guy with 4 posts in the galaxy S4 forum. Suspicious if you ask me..

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The S4 is being brutalized because it brought nothing new to the table just more gimmicks. The UI is too bloated and that hurts the user experience. This GN2 that I own is horrible in terms of lag and it stutters like crazy. Instead of belting out more phones with minor upgrades, Sammy needs to start put tons of resources in software quality.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
A fantastic review... except that you did compare it. You claimed it was the best Smartphone out. That's claiming that it is better than all others, a comparison and also personal opinion.

Tom

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
While not a perfect device, the Galaxy S4 brings so much to the table that its fair to say that regardless of the expectations, it's the best smartphone in the world right now.

I like the review and definitely thank you for the time and effort that went into it, but I have to disagree with the last line of the conclusion. I would 99% agree it's in the top 5 and 100% it's in the top 10, but what is actually best requires comparison to other devices and the potential of Android, as well as the impact of this device on Android as a whole. Additionally, I'm not sure that there even IS a #1 best device, because the qualities used for this measurement are going to be subjectively tailored to the person making the decision. For you, it obviously hits all the high notes or at least it's pro's vastly outweigh it's cons relative to the pro's and cons of other devices available for your specific situation... I hate to make a car analogy, but for some people the fastest car is the best, other's it's the safest, or the most comfortable or the one with the most cargo space, etc, etc.

Thanks again for putting this out there. :)

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The S4 is being brutalized because it brought nothing new to the table just more gimmicks. The UI is too bloated and that hurts the user experience. This GN2 that I own is horrible in terms of lag and it stutters like crazy. Instead of belting out more phones with minor upgrades, Sammy needs to start put tons of resources in software quality.

Yes we users are really hurting. Packing a full HD 5" screen, 13mp camera, huge battery into a smaller, lighter package is really nothing new and just a minor upgrade.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
A fantastic review... except that you did compare it. You claimed it was the best Smartphone out. That's claiming that it is better than all others, a comparison and also personal opinion.

Tom

For the record, guys, I said it's "fair to say" that it's the best, not that it is. I'm saying people can make that claim based on the phone overall, but not that it's undisputed fact. Sorry for the confusion.

And there will be people that disagree with that, disagree with some of my assessments, etc. If everyone agreed with what I wrote, we'd all own S4s.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Great review. For me, I have always been a function/performance/user experience over style. I could care less for a unibody aluminum case with front facing stereo speakers especially without the latest version of JB, smaller screen, inferior camera, a stiffer UI skin that does nothing to improve the user experience and no micro sdxc card slot/removable battery as in the One that the "experts" are fawning over. How can you offer a flagship smartphone without the most current version of JB? From a carrier perspective, it may be some time before the One is updated to 4.2.2, IMHO.

Sent Via My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11