Galaxy S4 wifi problem: "authentication error"

Justin Lotz

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. I click connect and my phone just almost immediately cancels the connection progress. I just got a new router from Cisco. Is that a possible problem ( the router)?

Twason Wiser

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Your problem is not with your routers at all. You are however fixing the problem in a round-about way by changing the router, or the SSID, or the address on your S4.

The real problem all of you are experiencing is that the S4 does not release it's DHCP address after the DHCP lease has expired. Once your S4 is in this state of still having a DHCP address with an expired lease, there is a bug in Samsung's code that does not release the address, or renew the address, or request a new one.

The IP address is stored in a files located on your S4 at: /data/misc/dhcp/dhcpcd-eth0.lease and /data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list

Power off the S4 completely, pull the battery, or connect to a different SSID, or make it a static address, and your S4 will work.

Only if Samsung fixes the bug with the DHCP lease timeout, will the S4 ever work correctly though.

WokingWounded

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Your problem is not with your routers at all. You are however fixing the problem in a round-about way by changing the router, or the SSID, or the address on your S4.

The real problem all of you are experiencing is that the S4 does not release it's DHCP address after the DHCP lease has expired. Once your S4 is in this state of still having a DHCP address with an expired lease, there is a bug in Samsung's code that does not release the address, or renew the address, or request a new one.

The IP address is stored in a files located on your S4 at: /data/misc/dhcp/dhcpcd-eth0.lease and /data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list

Power off the S4 completely, pull the battery, or connect to a different SSID, or make it a static address, and your S4 will work.

Only if Samsung fixes the bug with the DHCP lease timeout, will the S4 ever work correctly though.

The above explanation is way above my pay grade. However, in my set up at home I have two routers (different brands and models) at opposite ends of the house. One has access to the internet and performs DHCP functions and the other is set up as an access point. Both routers are dual frequency and are set with the same SSIP and passwords as each other (but on different channels) but different SSIPs are used for the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Now here's the thing: with 5GHz switched off the 2.4GHz set up works perfectly with clients automatically switching to the strongest signal as one moves round the house. Configured with 2.4GHz off and 5GHz on I get the authentication error problem. I can't say for sure it's a Samsung problem since the only 5GHz capable clients I have are Samsung phones and so I haven't been able to test using other clients yet. I spoke to Samsung support yesterday and managed to crawl my way up the tree a bit to someone who undertook to refer the issue "to HQ" and get back to me (I'm not holding my breath)......

Peter Kelly2

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I just don't understand how much more security you need filtering the mac address. If you WPA2/WPA enabled in your router and you have the firewall enabled in the router and perhaps some kind of firewall in your cell phone like LOOKOUT, what more security you want ?? When you filter the mac address all you are doing is making is this : Only computers on the MAC Address filter list will have access to the wireless network. Therefore, I don't think this procedure is giving you any extra security. The way I set up my cell was after activating wifi I had it scan for networks and once it found mine I imputed the password and applied the security to be used and that was it. Now the cell's mac address appears in my router as a device with permission to use my network but I am not filtering the mac. I don't feel the need to do it since it is my own network for which I only have access. I think that you are only creating unnecessary problems for yourself..... I am just saying.

Ok so I had to reply to this it bugged me.
A password can be bruteforced with enough time (There are many windows/linux packages that do this). Adding MAC filtering adds another layer, bearing in mind that once someone has authenticated onto your wireless network they have a lot more access to the devices on the network, including intercepting communications e.g usernames/passwords etc. Adding MAC Filtering is not over reacting especially in the modern times.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Samsung Galaxy S4. As I have always done with all of my devices that connect wirelessly, I went into my D-Link software and added my phone's MAC address to the network filter list. The security settings are WPA/WPA2. When I try to connect, the phone is able to see my Wi-Fi network, and it asks for my password, which I enter. It keeps trying to connect, but then it says an "authentication error occurred." I have checked and triple-checked the password, and it is correct. I have also checked and triple-checked the MAC address, and it is correct. I have rebooted the router and the phone several times each. Any suggestions on resolving this? I am an ordinary consumer, not a geek by any means :) -- please state your response accordingly. Thank you!

- Tina

Seems samsung kernels have issues connecting to wpa/wpa2 I would suggest running a guest portal and running a different encryption to test this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Someone woth S4

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4 wifi problem: "authentication error"

Hi there,

Just another thought from someone who tried everything with no success and was able to resolve the issue with a simple thing that I should have thought of long ago.

I was about to return my new S4 when I decided to go through my router settings one more time. I discovered that I had Access Control on in Advanced Wireless Settings. I turned the access control off, and my phone (Oh, miracle!) has connected to Wi-Fi. At the same time, I was able to see it as one of the connected devices in Access Control. I added it to the allowed devices and turned Access Control back on. Now the phone is connected and everything is working properly.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi there,

Just another thought from someone who tried everything with no success and was able to resolve the issue with a simple thing that I should have thought of long ago.

I was about to return my new S4 when I decided to go through my router settings one more time. I discovered that I had Access Control on in Advanced Wireless Settings. I turned the access control off, and my phone (Oh, miracle!) has connected to Wi-Fi. At the same time, I was able to see it as one of the connected devices in Access Control. I added it to the allowed devices and turned Access Control back on. Now the phone is connected and everything is working properly.

Aziz Seleem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy Mega - authentication error occurred ( علي موبايل wi-fi- networks - والاتصال بالنت معطل - أرجو الافادة بالحل

crfd

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
i got the same problem with my Galaxy Note 10.1 (GT-N8020). I was thinking its hardware issue.
its connecting perfectly when its very close to my NETGEAR Router. But this was happen recently. its was working perfectly

Do we have a solution for this issue?

kk1l

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
From WorkingWounded:
The above explanation is way above my pay grade. However, in my set up at home I have two routers (different brands and models) at opposite ends of the house. One has access to the internet and performs DHCP functions and the other is set up as an access point. Both routers are dual frequency and are set with the same SSIP and passwords as each other (but on different channels) but different SSIPs are used for the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Now here's the thing: with 5GHz switched off the 2.4GHz set up works perfectly with clients automatically switching to the strongest signal as one moves round the house. Configured with 2.4GHz off and 5GHz on I get the authentication error problem. I can't say for sure it's a Samsung problem since the only 5GHz capable clients I have are Samsung phones and so I haven't been able to test using other clients yet. I spoke to Samsung support yesterday and managed to crawl my way up the tree a bit to someone who undertook to refer the issue "to HQ" and get back to me (I'm not holding my breath)......

I see the thread is 1 yr old, however I see exactly this issue with my Galaxy Tab 8. Connected to the 5GHz N-only radio I will get an "authentication error" after about 5 minutes of being connected. When I switch to the 2.4GHz side I will not get the authentication error. I will see the device reconnect every so often, but on the 2.4GHz side it succeeds. I am not sure why there are retries. (I watch this by keeping the WiFi settings open on the Tab).

I am within 10' of the access point and see 45dB to 50dB of signal above the noise floor on the router display, so signal is not the issue.

Did you ever get a reply from Samsung??

Ron

thedude0156

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I have a samsung Galaxy 4. I can connect to the wifi everywhere but at work. I have worked with the tec department and there has been no changes since it did work 2 weeks ago. DId a factory reset and still not connecting. I am open to options or what to install to fix it

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdvdbone88