Sooo my 2 year old just drowned my 3 day old S4.

Amy Schwarz

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Phone was sitting in an inch of coffee for at least 10 seconds. Tried to shut it down immediately but just kept rebooting itself so had to pull the battery and stuck it in rice. I'm guessing it's toast huh?? I have the insurance but spending another 199 after just spending 249 is a painful thought. Ahh kids!! :-\ anyone come back from that kind of wet on a phone? I had iPhones since the first one and never ever did more than just a splash so I have no idea how resilient they are?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Ouch....so sorry to hear that. I think the rice bag is about your best best. I have heard of worse and the phone survive, but I think lady luck has to be on your side.

Let it sit in the rice for a good while - I'd give it a day or two and then all you can do is try.

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Phone was sitting in an inch of coffee for at least 10 seconds. Tried to shut it down immediately but just kept rebooting itself so had to pull the battery and stuck it in rice. I'm guessing it's toast huh?? I have the insurance but spending another 199 after just spending 249 is a painful thought. Ahh kids!! :-\ anyone come back from that kind of wet on a phone? I had iPhones since the first one and never ever did more than just a splash so I have no idea how resilient they are?

If you shorted something, it's toast. Let it dry for a while and hope for the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

You might want to consider getting the Galaxy S4 Active....its the waterproof version of the S4, should be coming out next month I believe

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
They sell a kit you can use. Has the gel from damp rid. I would not turn it on for a week. If it shorted out, it is toast.

Resist the urge to turn it on before completely dry inside.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So, basically I'll just add to the pile of 'don't turn it on until it's really dry' advice. Your safest, do-it-at-home bet is the rice thing for a couple of days (unless you live somewhere really humid, in which case it'd take a few more days and a couple of rice changes).

The dry kit also works, I've seen it in action on CNet and it actually saved a Note 2 from doom. If your phone kept rebooting that's a good sign as it means it's still alive before you took out the battery, but you don't want to turn it back on until it's REALLY dry. These phones are more protected than before, but water will eventually do some damage.

GB333

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Don't lose all hope. My husband went swimming with his Vibrant in his pocket and it still worked after it completely dried out. Fingers crossed for you!!!

Corey Pollock

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I jumped into a lake with my phone while back. I imedietly placed it on my dehumifier (took off the backplate, etc.) and let it sit. It took away basically all condensation within the phone. Then I put it in rice for a day or so.

Good luck!

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear it! Hope it comes back on for you. Good thing you have a GS4 and not a phone with a non removable battery.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

brianphrack

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I spill beer on devices fairly often. I do a battery-pull-as-fast-as-I-can!, and then use a hairdryer for a few hours. I've saved quite a few devices this way.

Amy Schwarz

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all! I pulled the battery and had it in rice within 3 minutes so hoping that increases my chance of it working. There was no water inside the backplate at all when I pulled it so I think my main worries are the holes (charger and headphone) and the buttons, camera and speaker. I pulled the Sim card and put it in my old phone and I will leave it a couple days and see what happens.. If I have to get a new phone it will be an expensive lesson learned.. :-/

ashykat

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Hairdryers typically aren't a good solution because they can push water deeper into the device. The heat also isn't good for it. But hey, if it worked, it worked.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everything said in this thread. And hey, if it doesn't come back, you can always charge your son in 16 years ;)

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

anon(41665)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
You know...I glanced at the title of this thread and nearly had a heartbreak! I saw "Sooo my 2 year old just drowned..." and thought Mother of God why would you be posting that here!?!! Then I saw that you were referring to your phone. As a parent I about died....lol.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Something I read (I'm not recommending) a while back when a friend flooded his phone with beer. He placed it in rubbing alcohol. It displaces the water and then evaporates. And little bonus with the alcohol is it cleaned the beer off.

This did work for him but I'd be scared as hell to voluntarily place my phone in any liquid.

Like I said this was a last ditch effort for an otherwise broken phone.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

kgeier82

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
No joke I literally smelled coffee for some reason when reading this. Yikes!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Put everything into a bowl of dry rice and seal it up good. Leave it in a closed up container for a couple of days and don't turn it on until its been in there at least 24 hours. Should dry out.

Amy Schwarz

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
You know...I glanced at the title of this thread and nearly had a heartbreak! I saw "Sooo my 2 year old just drowned..." and thought Mother of God why would you be posting that here!?!! Then I saw that you were referring to your phone. As a parent I about died....lol.

OMG LOL!!! No offense to this board but this is the last place I would be if my son drowned, lol...But I can see how at a glance it could look like that.. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv