Maps are consuming my battery but I don't even use maps

stepaul8

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have barely used my phone today but my phone is dying very fast. I checked my battery app and it says ive spent70% of my time with maps even though I dont even use maps. I clicked force stop and it hasn't done anything yet. I was told to delete accuweather which is what I did but it still is draining my battery. When I use bleacher report it always has the 4 lines with a circle so that also might be using maps.

Posted via Android Central App

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You should just turn off your GPS so nothing will be trying to find your location...that's what may be causing your battery drain

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try turning off Location Reporting by opening Maps, tapping the menu button, then selecting Settings/Location Settings. Location Reporting is used for Latitude, and causes the phone to wake up frequently throughout the day to report your current location. These frequent partial wake locks can use up battery, so if you don't use Latitude, turn Location Reporting off.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Same as the other posters; make sure "Location Reporting" within the Maps app is set to 'Do Not Update' and don't keep GPS ON the entire time, although these phones should NOT use the GPS unless an app requests it. That being said, the 'Maps' app shows up when something polls for your location (whether it's from GPS or cell info), and it might be the weather widget polling information for your current location every 15 minutes or Waze being running in the background or 4square making automatic check-ins.

Also, although it's a big selling point, Google Now CONSTANTLY polls for your location unless you turn it off. On both my Note 2 and S4, as soon as I turned the Maps Location option and Google Now off, I got almost twice as much juice (in my Country, Google Now only gives you weather info which I already have with other apps and traffic info that's not even that reliable... so it's pretty much useless FOR ME).

Believe13

May 23, 2012
Visit site
This is so true. After I shut off the gps location finder. My battery easily doubled. When I need it I just turn it on. plus a have all the other stuff on.

stepaul8

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Wow I really appreciate all the help. I went to Google settings, and I saw that there was an option under location and location to use wifi as a location source. Is that good or not it is still checked on my phone and I don't know if I should I'm checking not.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Under Settings/Location access, I keep Google Wi-Fi & mobile network location checked, along with Verizon location services (not sure what the equivalent would be for your carrier), because these methods use your data connection (via wifi or 3G/4G) to pinpoint where you are. It isn't as accurate down to the foot as GPS is, but it's good enough for most uses.

To turn off Location Reporting, remember that you have to open Maps, and then select its settings there--it's not in the phone's System Settings.