Still waiting for my S4 to come from Verizon, but I was curious whether I could move my SD card, with its files, pictures, videos, ringtones, etc. from my HTC Incredible 4 into my new Galaxy S4? I just wondered if the HTC applied some sort of signature to it...or should I format it in the Samsung and reload all that stuff from a file on my pC?
    05-13-2013 01:35 PM
    Yeah you should be able to move your SD Card to your S4 with all pictures and files still on them. The S4 should read them just fine.
    gamebird likes this.
    05-13-2013 01:41 PM
    No special 'signature' unless you specifically told your phone to encrypt your SD card... in that case, unless you decrypt it within the same phone, transferring the card to a new phone will be useless as the new phone will read garbled information.
    gamebird likes this.
    05-13-2013 02:12 PM
    I just got a new S4 and the SD card from my almost 3 year old EVO 4G worked just fine.
    05-13-2013 02:58 PM
    oh, just one more thing... I believe the SanDisk bug still holds true for this phone! So, if you have a SanDisk card that was manufactured prior to December 2012 (especially 32GB ones), the chips have a bug that cause malfunction in newer Samsung devices (it'll start mounting/unmounting on it's own and drain your battery, and in severe cases, even physical damage to the card ensues, effectively losing your data). SanDisk will most likely replace the card if you give them a call, but I'm not sure if this will still be the case with older cards.
    gamebird likes this.
    05-13-2013 03:50 PM
    oh, just one more thing... I believe the SanDisk bug still holds true for this phone! So, if you have a SanDisk card that was manufactured prior to December 2012 (especially 32GB ones), the chips have a bug that cause malfunction in newer Samsung devices (it'll start mounting/unmounting on it's own and drain your battery, and in severe cases, even physical damage to the card ensues, effectively losing your data). SanDisk will most likely replace the card if you give them a call, but I'm not sure if this will still be the case with older cards.
    Yeah this was happening to me, which is why I ordered one from a different company
    05-13-2013 03:56 PM
    Samsung ones, of course, will work without a hitch, but they're expensive. If you want an affordable card, I recommend you get an AData one. I thought they were crap until I found out who their chip supplier was: Samsung. Needless to say, AData cards will work just fine with all Galaxies.
    gamebird likes this.
    05-13-2013 04:00 PM
    So does that mean I HAVE to change my SD card? I have a 32gb Sandisk card in my thunderbolt that I was going to transfer to my soon to be preordered S4
    05-13-2013 05:24 PM
    This is a great forum! Of course the obvious question is how do you know when your card was manufactured? Maybe best to get a shiny new 32 gig one and hope that the upcoming Key Lime Pie lets us move apps2SD!! before I close - another question as I peruse SD cards - what does class 10 mean versus class 4, etc?
    05-13-2013 05:42 PM
    what does class 10 mean versus class 4, etc?
    Class 10 means that is a more durable memory card and it has a faster data transfer rate than the class 4. This is what I did with my new phone. I got myself a samsung 32gs class 10 for the S4, I took my old car and copies to my computer. I formatted the new card with the new phone and then copied the folders I needed from my computer to my new card and if anything happens I already have pictures, videos etc., saved in my computer.
    gamebird likes this.
    05-13-2013 06:42 PM
    The only way to know about the date is from the package, which I doubt you still have. Anyway, if you say it's from your old phone, it's sure it was made before December 2012. And you could try it but with caution; I mean, not ALL cards fail, but with SanDisk and Sammy phones, there's a good chance it will...

As for the Class, yeah, the most important difference is transfer speeds (10 is faster than 4, but it's also WAY more expensive than a Class 4). I've been using Class4 cards in my phone for quite a while, including my Note 2 and S4... The 'worst case scenario' I could think of, data-transferwise, was when recording a video on FullHD, and so far not a single dropped frame, so I'll stick to Class 4 and its cheaper price tag, thank you very much...
    gamebird likes this.
    05-14-2013 08:29 AM
    Looks as if we are getting an OTA update which will allow us to move apps to the SD card!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    06-19-2013 08:42 PM