I keep reading reviews and comments that say that AMOLED on the S4 is not as good as the screen technology utilized by the HTC One in full-daylight situations. Having read myriad reviews on both, I am still leaning toward the S4, but a great deal of my phone usage is outside (Ingress, MapMyRide, Geocaching, etc etc).

My current phone is an HTC Thunderbolt. It's practically unuseable in bright sunlight - I have to hold it right up to my face and shield it to see it, or I have to go find some shade or pray for clouds.

So, while I recognize that AMOLED might be inferior to some other screen technologies, can someone who has used their S4 outdoors tell me if you have any problems seeing the screen in full daylight? Is it "Oh my goodness I can't use this thing!", or just "very, very usable but not quite as vibrant and pretty as others"?

For those of you who have owned the AT&T Inspire or HTC Thunderbolt, how does the full-on-sunlight performance of the S4 compare to those phones?
    05-13-2013 02:59 PM
    the GS4 in sunlight with sunglasses you cannot read. You have to take sunglasses off and it is still VERY hard to read. This is with auto on.
    05-13-2013 03:24 PM
    I keep reading reviews and comments that say that AMOLED on the S4 is not as good as the screen technology utilized by the HTC One in full-daylight situations. Having read myriad reviews on both, I am still leaning toward the S4, but a great deal of my phone usage is outside (Ingress, MapMyRide, Geocaching, etc etc).

My current phone is an HTC Thunderbolt. It's practically unuseable in bright sunlight - I have to hold it right up to my face and shield it to see it, or I have to go find some shade or pray for clouds.

So, while I recognize that AMOLED might be inferior to some other screen technologies, can someone who has used their S4 outdoors tell me if you have any problems seeing the screen in full daylight? Is it "Oh my goodness I can't use this thing!", or just "very, very usable but not quite as vibrant and pretty as others"?

For those of you who have owned the AT&T Inspire or HTC Thunderbolt, how does the full-on-sunlight performance of the S4 compare to those phones?
    It's usable. You'll more than likely want to crank the brightness up to 100% when you're outside (and thankfully that's a quick process since the brightness can be changed in the notification shade), but you should be fine. I've taken it on walks in the middle of the day to test it out and I've been able to read it just fine.
    Statusnone likes this.
    05-13-2013 03:32 PM
    It's usable. You'll more than likely want to crank the brightness up to 100% when you're outside (and thankfully that's a quick process since the brightness can be changed in the notification shade), but you should be fine. I've taken it on walks in the middle of the day to test it out and I've been able to read it just fine.
    Exactly my experience.
    05-13-2013 03:47 PM
    In very bright sunlight it can be hard to see the screen. The are times when I'd just wait till I was out of the sun or move to shield to see the screen. Is it like this generally when outside? I'd say no. But there are scenarios that can make the screen pretty hard to see without shielding the bright light in some way.
    05-13-2013 04:12 PM
    It is not hard to read the screen outside... like Kane said all you have to do crank up the brightness up to your liking. Personally I have no problem outside.
    05-13-2013 09:15 PM
    the GS4 in sunlight with sunglasses you cannot read. You have to take sunglasses off and it is still VERY hard to read. This is with auto on.
    Might need an optometrist, brother. I can see my GS4 screen with my shades on at high noon here in sunny Florida. I use auto brightness as well.
    roberts68 likes this.
    05-13-2013 09:18 PM