Things aren't looking good for Facebook or HTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Right now the only thing that can save HTC is the HTC One. It's by no means flopping, but what the company has riding on that phone just means that it needs more than stellar sales to save them. THAT I'm not sure it will be able to accomplish.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure who was the genius at either company that thought Facebook was going to convince buyers to buy a lackluster phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So what? This isn't their flagship phone.. So.. Yeah. Lol.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
So what? This isn't their flagship phone.. So.. Yeah. Lol.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

No one said it was their flagship phone. But when a company is struggling financially like HTC the demise of any new phone is going to bad news for the bottom line. This isn't going to hurt Facebook however.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
No one said it was their flagship phone. But when a company is struggling financially like HTC the demise of any new phone is going to bad news for the bottom line. This isn't going to hurt Facebook however.

Without knowing the financial arrangements between the two companies we have no way of knowing that for sure.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
HTC has far more important things to worry about. Like how to stop releasing such subpar commercials when their future could be riding on it.

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
HTC has far more important things to worry about. Like how to stop releasing such subpar commercials when their future could be riding on it.
Thank you for saying that, it is my LARGEST complaint with them. Their marketing needs to show off many features, not just 1 each time. I like that they are advertising in spots though, I'm seeing more "brought to you by the all new, all metal, HTC One."
But I guess I can see them slowly getting better: http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/277698-new-htc-one-tv-ads-what-your-thoughts.html
Also, of course FB Home would be a flop. But it gets people looking at brands like HTC regardless, and that can be just as much positive as it is negative.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I don?t think "lackluster" is a factor in this situation, most customers know little about specs. It is simply a hard sell. Most phones are finding great difficultly amidst the Galaxy devices and iPhones, that?s a fact. But then you come with an HTC (which hasn?t been exactly the most popular) witha very intrusive Facebook skin (while people like Facebook, it doesn?t seem to be as loved as it once was, and many prefer to simply open their app and see what?s up and continue using their phone other phone related activities. This Facebook phone was all about living in Facebook. I and many thought it was a bit much.

Jakiro201

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
1. Why is this posted in the Samsung S4 section? This will upset some people.
2. I personally think HTC First and Facebook home are stupid ideas. Who would want to buy a phone just because of it is optimised for Facebook users? HTC has made the wrong move.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
No, there ads are good. I would rather they properly show one feature at a time in a short ad vs Samsung's long ads.

Their first commercial is how the speakers should be on the front. Nice. Their marketing to the audiophiles has done so well in the past. BoomSound -is- good, but hardly something to hinge your purchase of a phone on. They show a guy at a bar playing a video on his phone for his friends. Out of all scenarios in which you'd use the speakers, that's one of the least likely. They throw in "the all metal HTC One" like that's going to hook the viewer. Are they supposed to be impressed by that? Do they even know why that matters?

Their second commercial about BlinkFeed is just as awful. So if you have BlinkFeed, all your content is all right there for you? Because Android doesn't have widgets to have said content also visible? Instead I need to "dig" for it? No, I don't. I understand they may be referencing the iPhone in that as well, but come on. BlinkFeed is actually pretty cool, but it's yet another feature that isn't going to sell this device. In fact, there's a large portion of people that have already bought the phone that don't even like it/use it.

Vine is one of the most popular social apps out right now. Zoe can be used a lot like Vine. It can also be awesome without comparing it to Vine. It can also bring back prospective buyers who dismissed the One because of the "4MP" on the spec sheet. Same with Highlights.

On their web page, they used to (and still might) have this video of these shots of just the design, showing off the edges, the curved back, etc. That should be on TV. Use those shots, emphasize the quality, and use acted out examples of just how sexy it is.

The One isn't a bad device. It can sell well, but the marketing strategy so far has been horrendous. Hopefully they turn it around.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I new it wasn't going to be a succes, but these numbers are just horible. I still think Facebook should have gone with Google model, selling it on their webpage contract free, unlocked for $299.

Status
Not open for further replies.