Why does the U.S get the single quad-core version of the S4?

Virginx

May 14, 2013
Visit site
It completely stupid that the rest of the world get Quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A15 & quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7 while we only get 1 quad core for the same price. Not only that but we don't even get access to 64 gig S4, are you kidding me? Samsung say it due to lack of supply, well in that case lower the price of the U.S version of the S4 if that is really the case.

My theory is that ever since Apple sue Samsung for 2 billion dollars, that Samsung apparently see it fit that the U.S will get everything last. Even though it not the customer fault, they did lose 2 billions to a U.S company after all, and it only make sense. Another alternative way to look at it is that because they only use 1 core for the U.S market and still charging the same price, they can recover that 2 billions dollars lost to Apple. This is just a theory of course, but the S3 did come with 32 gig and was only a few months later that Apple won the lawsuit.

Thoughts and opinion are welcome. Love to hear everyone feedback on this subject.

Last edited by a moderator:

barryl85

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why does the U.S get a ****tier version of the S4?

It completely stupid that the rest of the world get Quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A15 & quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7 while we only get 1 quad core for the same price. Not only that but we don't even get access to 64 gig S4, are you kidding me? Samsung say it due to lack of supply, well in that case lower the price of the U.S version of the S4 if that is really the case.

My theory is that ever since Apple sue Samsung for 2 billion dollars, that Samsung apparently see it fit that the U.S will get everything last. Even though it not the customer fault, they did lose 2 billions to a U.S company after all, and it only make sense. Another alternative way to look at it is that because they only use 1 core for the U.S market and still charging the same price, they can recover that 2 billions dollars lost to Apple. This is just a theory of course, but the S3 did come with 32 gig and was only a few months later that Apple won the lawsuit.

Thoughts and opinion are welcome. Love to hear everyone feedback on this subject.

Your theory is so wrong and very conspiratory.

America isn't the only country that didn't get the Exynos version, here in the UK we didn't get it either nor did we get anything other than 16gb models. That's even worse than what you guys get we can't even get a 32gb version !!

Virginx

May 14, 2013
Visit site

Your theory is so wrong and very conspiratory.

America isn't the only country that didn't get the Exynos version, here in the UK we didn't get it either nor did we get anything other than 16gb models. That's even worse than what you guys get we can't even get a 32gb version !!

That is odd, many people in Europe claim they g0t the 64 gig version? Here is the link of S4 phones outside the U.S - Samsung I9500 Galaxy S4 - Full phone specifications.

barryl85

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site

There is no question about it really - the UK only gets the 16gb version at this moment and there is no where buying in the 32gb never mind the 64gb version and all handsets are i9505 snapdragon versions, i'm very confident the reason is to do with the 4G LTE frequency bands. Ironic considering only one network (EE) currently offer 4G and the coverage is laughable at best.

Virginx

May 14, 2013
Visit site

There is no question about it really - the UK only gets the 16gb version at this moment and there is no where buying in the 32gb never mind the 64gb version and all handsets are i9505 snapdragon versions, i'm very confident the reason is to do with the 4G LTE frequency bands. Ironic considering only one network (EE) currently offer 4G and the coverage is laughable at best.

Any idea why the rest of Europe get those spec and not the UK?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Any idea why the rest of Europe get those spec and not the UK?

My best guess would be regulatory relations, but I'm not clear on what the reasoning would be for that piece specifically unless there is a specific protocol needed to access specific spectrum, etc.

Virginx

May 14, 2013
Visit site

Even if everything is true, what is the reason for Samsung not releasing the 8 cores to the U.S? All major carrier in the U.S have 4G LTE coverage and some are very fast as well. My conspiracy theory still hold for the time being unless someone can debunk it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

My guess would be that the FCC has approved Qualcomm's processor but not Samsung's for sale in the US. This might be a great question to ask on the podcast e-mail portion.

barryl85

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site

Even if everything is true, what is the reason for Samsung not releasing the 8 cores to the U.S? All major carrier in the U.S have 4G LTE coverage and some are very fast as well. My conspiracy theory still hold for the time being unless someone can debunk it.

You have your thoughts the wrong way round, AFAIK the Snapdragon variant is better for US and UK 4G LTE frequency bands. This I believe is the reason the Exynos version are not a priority release in certain countries.

Exynos S4 would only be good for 3G - i'm not even sure if it has LTE in it??

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

http://m.pocketnow.com/2013/04/30/galaxy-s-4-octa-vs-galaxy-s-4-quad-video

I'd say my experience with both was very similar. You can notice that the Exynos 5 Octa is a little faster, but it's not night and day. I didn't have it long enough to comment on the battery life. You didn't get jipped with the Snapdragon 600; you got almost exactly the same performance with LTE.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Even this is somehow Apple's fault? How silly is that...
Don't worry, Android OS and apps have no idea what to do with quad core as it is. It just generates more heat and battery usage causing throttling. They use it to look good on a spec sheet.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

My guess would be that the FCC has approved Qualcomm's processor but not Samsung's for sale in the US. This might be a great question to ask on the podcast e-mail portion.

That would be weird (but possibly true) considering the Note 2 has a Eynos processor.

To the OP, Samsung did it last year as well when other countries got quadcore and the S3 in the US was dual core. HTC and Samsung mostly released their high end devices overseas first so I won't buy into your conspiracy theory about Apple because I don't think Apple is the root of all Android consumers plight LOL. Here's a good article about it. But at the end of the day it's up to Samsung since it's their processor that they themselves make.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Specs: Exynos vs. Snapdragon Doesn't Matter, Says CEO JK Shin

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Even this is somehow Apple's fault? How silly is that...
Don't worry, Android OS and apps have no idea what to do with quad core as it is. It just generates more heat and battery usage causing throttling. They use it to look good on a spec sheet.

I think you keep an eye out for Apple hate in the forums. Just sayin. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's noticed you going around and taking subtle jabs at Android that aren't quite right, honestly.

Read up on the Linux kernel and multi thread support. It's there, and can be verified. System Panel Lite will show all four cores getting lit up.

Posted via Android Central App

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
So how does the exynos perform better than the 4 core processor we get in the US if we have 1.9 ghz clock speeds vs 1.6?

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So how does the exynos perform better than the 4 core processor we get in the US if we have 1.9 ghz clock speeds vs 1.6?

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

The A15 architecture is a faster architecture than Krait. It's also less power efficient. Trade-offs.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

I'll bet if I handed you both devices you couldn't tell me what was running what processor.

I'm genuinely lost how Apple was dragged into this, or how the processor type would affect a lawsuit...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Alone, sure, but being part of the big.little combo makes the Octa more efficient. No LTE over here, though. Big tradeoff.

Not from what I've heard.

The A15 cores use three times the power to get double the performance. So if you do nothing demanding on your phone, which would leave the low power A7 cores going, then battery life will be comparatively good. Do something like gaming, though, and watch the battery drain.

It's also known that A15 uses more power per clock than Krait. Krait has a power advantage when both are being pushed hard.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Not from what I've heard.

The A15 cores use three times the power to get double the performance. So if you do nothing demanding on your phone, which would leave the low power A7 cores going, then battery life will be comparatively good. Do something like gaming, though, and watch the battery drain.

It's also known that A15 uses more power per clock than Krait. Krait has a power advantage when both are being pushed hard.

Under normal usage is what I meant, so for the average user. If you're just pushing the Octa and using only the A15 then yes, more power requires more juice. I didn't have the 9500 for very long, but comparatively it was better than my AT&T version by a slight margin.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
US & Canada

It happened with the S3 and a few months late Note 2 got Quad & LTE. I'm guessing Note 3 will get Octa & LTE.

I thought about getting the S4 Octa Unlocked but I'm paying for LTE (with Rogers).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800