Hey guys, just wondering who picked up an S4 and came from a Galaxy Nexus and how you thought the switch was, what your biggest changes were, if you are happy with the upgrade, etc.

Just waiting for VZW to open the box but curious from others who have made the switch. I see lots of S3 vs. S4 comparisions, Nexus 4 vs. S4 comparisons, but nothing to that one older generation device.
    05-14-2013 09:39 AM
    Hey guys, just wondering who picked up an S4 and came from a Galaxy Nexus and how you thought the switch was, what your biggest changes were, if you are happy with the upgrade, etc.

Just waiting for VZW to open the box but curious from others who have made the switch. I see lots of S3 vs. S4 comparisions, Nexus 4 vs. S4 comparisons, but nothing to that one older generation device.
    If you're asking for a specific comparison between the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S4, it's a pretty big difference.

For starters, you're going from a 720p 4.65 inch Super AMOLED display to a 5 inch 1080p Super AMOLED display. There's a huge difference in almost every category here. The screen on the Galaxy Nexus, for it's time, was good, but it just can't compare to the technology currently displayed on the S4.

The Galaxy Nexus opted for a TI OMAP 4460 1.2 ghz dual core processor whereas the S4 is running a 1.9ghz Snapdragon 600 CPU. Both the CPU and GPU on the S4 are much faster and more importantly, much more efficient.

Battery life on the VZW Galaxy Nexus was a point of contention for a lot of people, including myself, because of LTE. So much so, in fact, that they omitted that from the Nexus 4 the next time around. Because of the difference in technology, the 2600 mah battery vs 1850 mah, and the more efficient CPU, battery life is much better on the S4.

Camera-wise, the Galaxy Nexus shipped with a pretty subpar 5MP camera. You'll get arguably the best all-around camera with the 13MP shooter on the S4.

From there, it's all about software. If you prefer the stock Android 4.2.2, then the Galaxy Nexus has that. If you don't mind the customizations brought on by Touchwiz, or don't mind using a custom launcher, then the S4 is the better choice.

If you would have said Nexus 4 instead of Galaxy Nexus, this whole comparison would have went much differently. The Galaxy Nexus is still a good phone, even today, but the hardware is easily outdone by the S4.
    Parafly likes this.
    05-14-2013 09:49 AM
    I see lots of S3 vs. S4 comparisions, Nexus 4 vs. S4 comparisons, but nothing to that one older generation device.
    That because the Galaxy Nexus came out in 2011. It was more comparable to an S3 and still not even on par with that. No need in even comparing it to 2013 flagship device. Besides the change in hardware you'll have to decide how you'll like using touchwiz vs vanilla android. Of course you can eventually get rid of touchwiz if you're a tweaker but the differences straight out of the box are both hardware and software. With OEM skins, it's a love hate thing LOL.
    Parafly likes this.
    05-14-2013 09:52 AM
    I just put my nexus 4 in the drawer yesterday after getting my S4. Not a lot of time with the S4 yet but liking my LTE back, like having 22 GB left after loading all my apps!

Do not like the bloatware...and the number of options is almost overwhelming. I have had all the galaxy s series and the s4 has so many more features. I have most the the wiz bang stuff off right now. Will spend a few days and then post more impressions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
    Parafly likes this.
    05-14-2013 10:02 AM
    I came out the Verizon galaxy Nexus. Had it since release day. I still loved the phone, but for me it was the battery life that made it get rid of it. And lso I left Verizon for T-Mobile to get the S4. And I'm loving every minute of the S4. I really did not care for the S1 or S2, but when the S3 came out a few months after the galaxy nexus, that is the one that started me to liking the Galaxy S line. And then the S4 just pulled me in every review I saw on the internet, you tube etc!!
    Parafly likes this.
    05-14-2013 10:24 AM
    I came out the Verizon galaxy Nexus. Had it since release day. I still loved the phone, but for me it was the battery life that made it get rid of it. And lso I left Verizon for T-Mobile to get the S4. And I'm loving every minute of the S4. I really did not care for the S1 or S2, but when the S3 came out a few months after the galaxy nexus, that is the one that started me to liking the Galaxy S line. And then the S4 just pulled me in every review I saw on the internet, you tube etc!!
    Thanks guys. Yeah I know the "technical" differences between the two, and I realize they are different generations, just interested in hearing everyone's take on the phones themselves, using them compared to each other, how dramatic did you actually feel the upgrade was, etc.

This is great above. Thanks for sharing that! I'm looking forward to teh battery. on the gnex I get aboiut 3 - 4 hours before it's dead, even with the extended battery.
    05-14-2013 11:13 AM
    Thanks guys. Yeah I know the "technical" differences between the two, and I realize they are different generations, just interested in hearing everyone's take on the phones themselves, using them compared to each other, how dramatic did you actually feel the upgrade was, etc.

This is great above. Thanks for sharing that! I'm looking forward to teh battery. on the gnex I get aboiut 3 - 4 hours before it's dead, even with the extended battery.
    I had the GNex on Verizon on release date and I think it was the worst Nexus device. Samsung did a bad job on that phone. I had all the Nexus devices and that was only one I ever took back to the store. The others, I just sold when something better came along. It's amazing the hardware that LG was able to put on the N4 and sell at a much cheaper cost (save for LTE, but still). The S4 should be a breath of fresh air for you, as long as you can get along with touchwiz LOL.
    05-14-2013 11:18 AM
    I had a GSM nexus which was a bit different than the verizon version. I had good battery life and it was a great phone. However the S4 has way better battery life and the speed upgrade is huge. It's a better all around phone and a worthy upgrade.
    05-14-2013 12:43 PM
    I had a GSM nexus which was a bit different than the verizon version. I had good battery life and it was a great phone. However the S4 has way better battery life and the speed upgrade is huge. It's a better all around phone and a worthy upgrade.
    Because GSM is superior to CDMA...CDMA is so 90's...

Totally trolling and just kidding...kinda
    05-14-2013 01:59 PM