I have an iPhone 4S (and a 3GS before) and am looking to trying out an Android device. I've tried the HTC One and the S4 but both have this UI lag when scrolling the main screen or a web page.

Compared to my iOS devices its horrible. I've read before that with project butter this was supposed to have been fixed but I don't think it has.

I've read that some other people have noted this and they say that the Nexus 4 doesn't have this issue. Yet others say that S4 and One have no UI lag and I'm crazy.

I'm curious to get your input here.
    05-14-2013 09:52 AM
    Got my S4 for a week now, before the update there was stuttering (Not much of a lag) but after the update it's really good. Not 1 stutter anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Got my S4 for a week now, before the update there was stuttering (Not much of a lag) but after the update it's really good. Not 1 stutter anymore.
    05-14-2013 09:54 AM
    Well while I appreciate your question I think you are in the right forum for others to answer this. I am sure you will get plenty of input.
    Nooooooo!! Not ANOTHER "lag" thread!! Please stop people!!
    I have an iPhone 4S (and a 3GS before) and am looking to trying out an Android device. I've tried the HTC One and the S4 but both have this UI lag when scrolling the main screen or a web page.

Compared to my iOS devices its horrible. I've read before that with project butter this was supposed to have been fixed but I don't think it has.

I've read that some other people have noted this and they say that the Nexus 4 doesn't have this issue. Yet others say that S4 and One have no UI lag and I'm crazy.

There was a lot of lag but the recent update seemed to have fix that. So make sure the device you are using has been updated. As for the One, I have that too and smooth as butter so not sure what you're experiencing there. Make sure power saver mode is not on? Other than that, don't know because almost zero lag in a little under a month of use.
    05-14-2013 09:55 AM

The only way to compare these devices is to open up the app drawer on the Galaxy S4 (since Touchwiz matches up better than Sense 5 with iOS) and compare it that way. Mainly because iOS is literally just an app drawer.
    05-14-2013 10:11 AM
    The only way to compare these devices is to open up the app drawer on the Galaxy S4 (since Touchwiz matches up better than Sense 5 with iOS) and compare it that way. Mainly because iOS is literally just an app drawer.
    That's what I used to compare the devices. I guess I learned the name 'app drawer' but that's all I was doing mostly, just scrolling from one drawer to another.

I don't know if the store had the update or not though. How would I make sure?
    05-14-2013 10:58 AM
    That's what I used to compare the devices. I guess I learned the name 'app drawer' but that's all I was doing mostly, just scrolling from one drawer to another.

I don't know if the store had the update or not though. How would I make sure?
    Even at launch, the app drawer wasn't really stuttering. You can look at the build number by going to settings/about device. The latest build number ends in "MDL" not "MDB". Either way, the difference in operating systems is huge. Apple has a bare-bones approach with iOS and scrolling is smooth. I don't have an iPhone 5 any longer (I've owned several), but I can't imagine the home screen being any smoother than the app drawer I'm currently using on my S4.

My advice is to trust how it feels to you and you only. If you get a chance to compare them again and the S4 or One feel slow to you and it really bothers you, it might not be the best choice for you. Nothing wrong with that.
    05-14-2013 11:09 AM
    Thanks for the reply

Within the android community, is there any discussion on whether TouchWiz/Sense add any UI lag? Are there people that claim that the Nexus 4 is faster/smoother then Samsung/HTC devices?
    It's the only thing I can think of that explains the lag and why some people say Nexus 4 doesn't have it.
    05-14-2013 11:13 AM
    Thanks for the reply

Within the android community, is there any discussion on whether TouchWiz/Sense add any UI lag? Are there people that claim that the Nexus 4 is faster/smoother then Samsung/HTC devices?
    It's the only thing I can think of that explains the lag and why some people say Nexus 4 doesn't have it.
    Any time you introduce a skin over stock Android, you're going to run the risk of that. Sense 5 has done a very good job of toning things down so that it's virtually lag-free. Touchwiz is still heavy with animations and has a ton of additional features, so the experience, while fast, would seem different than your iPhone for sure. Stock Android 4.2.2 on my Nexus 4 is very smooth. They've done a good job of making the experience a lot closer to that of an iPhone.
    05-14-2013 11:33 AM