05-15-2017 10:05 PM
48 12
tools
    I have the same problem with my android phone... I used to have an iphone and just switched to android phone couple weeks ago. I just found out that I couldn't send out the videos via email last night, and it was quite a bummer. Is there any app that can help me shrink the video size and email it out if I don't want to send it via Dropbox?
    Ah, never mind, fantom305 already provided the answer.
    09-30-2013 02:39 PM
    Thanks Zedd, I have been looking for that setting ever since I got my S4!
    09-30-2013 09:09 PM
    You realize the thread hadn't been active in 2 1/2 months? And who are you referring to with the "what a jerk answer"?
    Believe they were referring to scorpiodsu
    09-30-2013 09:13 PM
    I had this problem too until I pressed the paper clip and saw Take A Video as an option. Works for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    09-30-2013 10:42 PM
    3. Yes, iPhones will attempt to automatically compress videos to send, even over MMS to non-iPhone users, but what you usually end up with barely watchable...I mean, you can only compress so much, and at a certain point, it gets to be like trying to get an elephant into a phone booth.
    Absolutely untrue. They are very watchable.
    10-01-2013 05:21 AM
    If Sent via imessage yes. Over the actual carriers MMS? They always compress them hard-core.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    10-01-2013 06:41 AM
    If Sent via imessage yes. Over the actual carriers MMS? They always compress them hard-core.

Obviously I was referring to messages sent over MMS (since we're referring to using Android phones). Also, I stand by my original statement...videos taken at high def resolution, unless only a few seconds long, are absolutely horrendous in quality. I base this off of the videos my iPhone friends have [attempted] to send me.
    10-01-2013 07:56 AM
    Obviously I was referring to messages sent over MMS (since we're referring to using Android phones). Also, I stand by my original statement...videos taken at high def resolution, unless only a few seconds long, are absolutely horrendous in quality. I base this off of the videos my iPhone friends have [attempted] to send me.
    Oh I know. That's why I quoted him saying sure via imessage they are good.. But since it's iPhone to Android it's compressed over normal carrier MMS.

paintdrinkingpete likes this.
    10-01-2013 08:13 AM
    Oh I know. That's why I quoted him saying sure via imessage they are good.. But since it's iPhone to Android it's compressed over normal carrier MMS.

Yeah, I know that's what you were getting at.

If I had to choose one feature of the "Apple ecosystem" that superior to that of the "Android ecosystem" it is iMessage. Google's Hangouts *could* possibly rival iMessage, however, given that Google does not operate within a closed ecosystem as Apple does, it is much harder logistically to achieve the same functionality across all of it's supported devices (and that's even if you only include SMS integration for Android devices).

I'm certainly not going to argue the benefits or features of iMessage -- however, what I will argue is that SMS, and even more so MMS, are antiquated services. MMS was designed to send files of very small size over carrier's networks...the same networks that carry voice transmissions (this was before high speed data services such as 3G even existed). Early camera phones took low-res pics and video that were very small in size, and could be easily sent via this service, however today's technology simply doesn't match with the limitations MMS has. iMessage does a great job of seamlessly re-routing this traffic to their own, much more robust service...a feature Android (or any other smartphone for that matter) simply doesn't have. Again, maybe one day Hangouts gets there, but until then alternative messaging solutions are needed to handle transferring of larger files, such as high def pics and video.

Personally, I find it quite easy to upload my videos to youtube, then simply send links to my friends. Is it the same thing as being able to use iMessage? No. Does it get the job done, and even in some ways provide even more features than using a traditional messaging service? Yes.
    10-01-2013 10:17 AM
    "Video Message Shrinker" works great!

- - - Updated - - -
    10-06-2013 11:08 PM
    "Video Message Shrinker" works great!

- - - Updated - - -
    Good to know. :thumbup:
    Btw, welcome to the forums!

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    10-06-2013 11:39 PM
    however, what I will argue is that SMS, and even more so MMS, are antiquated services. MMS was designed to send files of very small size over carrier's networks...the same networks that carry voice transmissions (this was before high speed data services such as 3G even existed).
    MMS uses DATA to store the picture on the carriers server and then standard SMS to send the link. The size limitation appears to be an arbitrary limitation set by the carrier not because the system couldn't handle it. Increasing the limit would probably only require a minor change to the server software, similar to the change Sprint made to support MMS via WiFi. Carriers have no incentive to do that because MMS data doesn't come out of the user's data pool but is included in the SMS/MMS charges. Change that so carriers could treat MMS data as regular data and charge for it and they might go for fixing the size limit.
    10-07-2013 12:31 PM
    MMS uses DATA to store the picture on the carrier’s server and then standard SMS to send the link. The size limitation appears to be an arbitrary limitation set by the carrier not because the system couldn't handle it. Increasing the limit would probably only require a minor change to the server software, similar to the change Sprint made to support MMS via WiFi. Carriers have no incentive to do that because MMS data doesn't come out of the user's data pool but is included in the SMS/MMS charges. Change that so carriers could treat MMS data as regular data and charge for it and they might go for fixing the size limit.
    I'm not 100% sure what channels MMS data uses to transport the media, but I believe this is all correct. None the less, I still stand by my opinion that it's an antiquated system...at least in it's current state. I agree that the system could be improved, but logistically you have the issues of what happens when the sender is on one carrier and the recipient is on another...basically all carriers would agree to some extent how much data can be transmitted in these messages.

Again, this is just my opinion, but SMS/MMS is clunky, outdated, has too small character limits and file sizes, lacks features such as read status of messages, and group messaging, while functional, is pretty lousy as well.

Personally, I much prefer to use Hangouts over SMS...the hard part is getting my friends and family to use it over traditional SMS, but most that have agree it's much better.
    10-07-2013 03:52 PM
    I'm having the exact same problem and no matter how much I trim the video it still says too large to send. I also recently switched from and phone and never had any problems sending videos.
    12-09-2013 05:57 PM
    I'm having the exact same problem and no matter how much I trim the video it still says too large to send. I also recently switched from and phone and never had any problems sending videos.
    You have to pick limit to MMS before recording

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Android Central App
    12-09-2013 06:23 PM
    You have to pick limit to MMS before recording

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Android Central App
    You can do that, and it will work...kinda. The video will send, but it will be pretty low quality.

Here's what I do...

1. Get a YouTube account
    2. Take video in any resolution you want
    3. upload video to you youtube (yes, it may take a while, especially if it's a large, high-def vid)
    4. Send link to your friends so they can watch video in all of it's high def glory.
    12-10-2013 09:30 AM
    I can't send videos on my note 2 via viber but I get exceptional video on viber. 3 to 4 minutes of quality sent from Iphone. There you go.
    08-24-2014 04:32 AM
    Boy someone seems a little cranky today.... People call for help... not an attitude.
    11-15-2014 09:19 PM
    Boy someone seems a little cranky today.... People call for help... not an attitude.
    Seriously, it seems like most of this thread was a pissing contest on who knows more or a 'ridicule the former iPhone user' discussion.

Does anyone actually know of 3rd party apps that allow compressed media to be sent via text? Preferably one that integrates into a pre-existing messaging app? I couldn't find anything named "Video Message Shrinker"
    12-14-2014 05:18 PM
    Try VideoKit. It's not very intuitive to use but will get the job done. I use it regularly to resize videos to mms size.

Posted via Android Central App
    12-16-2014 09:59 PM
    I'm definitely getting a i phone, then. Had it with Android (galaxy s5). Little bitty 10 minute video is "too large"??????

Yep. I phone next.
    07-16-2016 05:07 PM
    But when my gf send a large video to me via mms the quality sucks.
    09-28-2016 01:10 PM
    Wow, how bout toning down the smug replies. This is supposed to be a help forum for new users, not a place where you can post answers that intentionally try to make another person feel bad for asking the question.

There are no "stupid" questions when it comes to tech, "don't you think Scorpiodsu???

Try being nice and helpful, rather than smug and lame.
    05-15-2017 10:05 PM
48 12