Everytime I go to send a message with a video it always says file too large

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Pretty self explanatory don't you think? You can't send large files via MMS. There's a size limit (message>settings to see). So you have to send shorter vids, decrease the video quality or trim your video down so it's small enough to send.

My advice for very large files is to upload them to a cloud service like dropbox and send the link to the recipient. Otherwise, you have do either of the above options.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Can you be a bit more specific? Is this when trying to send an MMS? An e-mail? A Whatsapp message? In any case, every account has certain limits (especially MMS) when it comes to file sizes.

hannahe26

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Pretty self explanatory don't you think? You can't send large files via MMS. There's a size limit (message>settings to see). So you have to send shorter vids, decrease the video quality or trim your video down so it's small enough to send.

My advice for very large files is to upload them to a cloud service like dropbox and send the link to the recipient. Otherwise, you have do either of the above options.

Well I just got this phone so I'm still trying to figure out how to use it... and I had an iPhone and I never needed to downsize a video.. so sorry for not knowing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

hannahe26

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Can you be a bit more specific? Is this when trying to send an MMS? An e-mail? A Whatsapp message? In any case, every account has certain limits (especially MMS) when it comes to file sizes.

It's with email messages etc. But I used to have an iPhone and it never limited the size so is there anyway to fix it or use something else to message somebody or something. I'm still trying to get used to the phone

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Well I just got this phone so I'm still trying to figure out how to use it... and I had an iPhone and I never needed to downsize a video.. so sorry for not knowing

That's why I offered the resolutions. Keep in mind that if you are recording a full HD video (which is the default setting) for too long then it's going to get too large very quickly. I think 25MB is the limit when not on wifi. I forget the exact number but it's somewhere around that. An HD video passes 25MB very quickly. As an example I took a 2 min vid of my dogs playing and it was 232MB. Are you trying on Wifi and how large in the file you are trying to send? Just to help pinpoint.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
If you want to send videos via text/mms, you'll have to change the setting on the video camera. All iPhone did was shrink the video to make it fit in a text message. No need to have a phone with such great video recording quality to send those crappy videos. Use dropbox or Google drive to share the video.

Posted via Android Central App

hannahe26

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
That's why I offered the resolutions. Keep in mind that if you are recording a full HD video (which is the default setting) for too long then it's going to get too large very quickly. I think 25MB is the limit when not on wifi. I forget the exact number but it's somewhere around that. An HD video passes 25MB very quickly. As an example I took a 2 min vid of my dogs playing and it was 232MB. Are you trying on Wifi and how large in the file you are trying to send? Just to help pinpoint.

I don't know how large or whatever all I know is that I can't send messages and I don't know how to change the format

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how large or whatever all I know is that I can't send messages and I don't know how to change the format

Well that's why I'm asking. Trying to help you. If you want to see how large it is, go to your gallery, select it, hit menu key and details. This will show how large it is. Around here, if you want help, you have to provide more information. If not then no one can help you. And I suggested dropbox or other cloud in my first response. I provided you the basics around why your messages can't be sent but I was just trying to help identify your specific reason. But since all you know is you can't send, then good luck.

hannahe26

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
So if I have already taken the video and want tl send it is there anyway I can?

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
It's with email messages etc. But I used to have an iPhone and it never limited the size so is there anyway to fix it or use something else to message somebody or something. I'm still trying to get used to the phone

Iphone compresses the size of the videos you send automatically so it doesn't matter how big the video is ios will shink it down and send it. Android, you're gonna need to find a app to do that for you or just send smaller video files.

hannahe26

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Well that's why I'm asking. Trying to help you. If you want to see how large it is, go to your gallery, select it, hit menu key and details. This will show how large it is. Around here, if you want help, you have to provide more information. If not then no one can help you. And I suggested dropbox or other cloud in my first response. I provided you the basics around why your messages can't be sent but I was just trying to help identify your specific reason. But since all you know is you can't send, then good luck.

Okay so if I use dropbox it'll work? What is cloud?

hannahe26

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry if I'm being annoying I'm just new to everything and still trying to figure out what I'm doing with this phone and sorry I'm not giving enough info and whatnot

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
When Iphones send videos, they'll downsize it without asking you.
Androids usually say "compressing image" or something like that when you want to send it via MMS or e-mail to the appropriate size.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes, dropbox is a cloud service. They store the video for you and they will give you a link for the video. Then, you can share it with someone.

Posted via Android Central App

ppches

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
What a jerk answer! People come here with real questions. You don't help making them feel stupid! Definitely overcompensation the ego for some reason.

aow1980

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
On the s3 if you record with the mms seeing it fits it for text messaging. That is the only way I found to send a video without using a 3rd party app.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

Zedd

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Open your camera app, click on the little video camera icon (center screen, right side) then press limit to MMS.
that should do you.

Posted via Android Central App on my Galaxy S4