Everytime I go to send a message with a video it always says file too large

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay so if I use dropbox it'll work? What is cloud?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
Aside from finding answers here you can try to find the basics one by using either Google or Bing. Personally I used them just to store my data and pictures with out sharing them with any one, but that is just me. In order to send big videos what I have done is I bought and application from google play called Video Message Shrinker and so far I have been able to shink and send just about every video that I have recorder, of course I will say withing limits but at least the resolution is good rather than the crapy MMS limit.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
What a jerk answer! People come here with real questions. You don't help making them feel stupid! Definitely overcompensation the ego for some reason.

You realize the thread hadn't been active in 2 1/2 months? And who are you referring to with the "what a jerk answer"?

mrjlal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
ibcop it's pretty clear if you read the messages, the comment was directed at scorpiodsu. It was, indeed, a jerk answer.

I've never owned an iphone but that is very cool that it resizes video to fit MMS requirements. Android should do the same. Having to go through a separate app is not cool or tecchy -- it's just an additional pain in the A**.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
ibcop it's pretty clear if you read the messages, the comment was directed at scorpiodsu. It was, indeed, a jerk answer.

I've never owned an iphone but that is very cool that it resizes video to fit MMS requirements. Android should do the same. Having to go through a separate app is not cool or tecchy -- it's just an additional pain in the A**.

This subject has been touched on a few times, but there are several points to consider regarding the whole sending video over MMS and why the iPhone does it and Android does not issue...

1. HD videos are HUGE files. The size limit for MMS messages depends on the carrier, but it's usually only a few MB, which basically boils down to about 1-2 seconds of video at the highest setting.

2. iPhones are able to use the iMessage system, which has a much higher size limit, but unfortunately is only available on iPhones. Often, iPhone users don't realize the difference between the 2 services because Apple has done such a good job at integrating iMessage with standard SMS/MMS.

3. Yes, iPhones will attempt to automatically compress videos to send, even over MMS to non-iPhone users, but what you usually end up with barely watchable...I mean, you can only compress so much, and at a certain point, it gets to be like trying to get an elephant into a phone booth.

4. MMS is, frankly, a deprecated protocol and really isn't ideal for sending large files, no matter how you slice it. It worked great back in the day when we all had feature phones with crappy cameras that took crappy pics and low-res video, but for today's modern hardware, it's really not good for much other than text. Luckily, today's smartphones do support a wide array of other methods/apps for sharing media.

5. If you absolutely must share vids via MMS, there are camera settings so that you can take low-res vids that will be able to fit.

So basically, I do agree that iPhone handles this sort of thing better, but the "teach a man to fish" version of this story is that's it's probably best to learn to use other methods of file sharing for high-def video taken with the S4 anyway. It's not about being "cool" or "techy", it's about the fact that trying to send a file that large over MMS is like trying to drive a tricycle on the Interstate.

For the record, I find the best way is to simply upload the video to YouTube, then send the link out to the friends I want to be able to see it. Most people are familiar with YouTube and have the ability to view videos on their phone, plus they don't have to worry about downloading any large files to their device in order to be able to watch it themselves...and they'll actually be able to see the video you took in all it's high-def glory! (and you do have the option as to whether or not your videos are public).

Jaby Jaby

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem with my android phone... I used to have an iphone and just switched to android phone couple weeks ago. I just found out that I couldn't send out the videos via email last night, and it was quite a bummer. Is there any app that can help me shrink the video size and email it out if I don't want to send it via Dropbox?

Jaby Jaby

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem with my android phone... I used to have an iphone and just switched to android phone couple weeks ago. I just found out that I couldn't send out the videos via email last night, and it was quite a bummer. Is there any app that can help me shrink the video size and email it out if I don't want to send it via Dropbox?

Ah, never mind, fantom305 already provided the answer.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
3. Yes, iPhones will attempt to automatically compress videos to send, even over MMS to non-iPhone users, but what you usually end up with barely watchable...I mean, you can only compress so much, and at a certain point, it gets to be like trying to get an elephant into a phone booth.

Absolutely untrue. They are very watchable.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Absolutely untrue. They are very watchable.

If Sent via imessage yes. Over the actual carriers MMS? They always compress them hard-core.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Obviously I was referring to messages sent over MMS (since we're referring to using Android phones). Also, I stand by my original statement...videos taken at high def resolution, unless only a few seconds long, are absolutely horrendous in quality. I base this off of the videos my iPhone friends have [attempted] to send me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Obviously I was referring to messages sent over MMS (since we're referring to using Android phones). Also, I stand by my original statement...videos taken at high def resolution, unless only a few seconds long, are absolutely horrendous in quality. I base this off of the videos my iPhone friends have [attempted] to send me.

Oh I know. That's why I quoted him saying sure via imessage they are good.. But since it's iPhone to Android it's compressed over normal carrier MMS.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Oh I know. That's why I quoted him saying sure via imessage they are good.. But since it's iPhone to Android it's compressed over normal carrier MMS.

Yeah, I know that's what you were getting at.

If I had to choose one feature of the "Apple ecosystem" that superior to that of the "Android ecosystem" it is iMessage. Google's Hangouts *could* possibly rival iMessage, however, given that Google does not operate within a closed ecosystem as Apple does, it is much harder logistically to achieve the same functionality across all of it's supported devices (and that's even if you only include SMS integration for Android devices).

I'm certainly not going to argue the benefits or features of iMessage -- however, what I will argue is that SMS, and even more so MMS, are antiquated services. MMS was designed to send files of very small size over carrier's networks...the same networks that carry voice transmissions (this was before high speed data services such as 3G even existed). Early camera phones took low-res pics and video that were very small in size, and could be easily sent via this service, however today's technology simply doesn't match with the limitations MMS has. iMessage does a great job of seamlessly re-routing this traffic to their own, much more robust service...a feature Android (or any other smartphone for that matter) simply doesn't have. Again, maybe one day Hangouts gets there, but until then alternative messaging solutions are needed to handle transferring of larger files, such as high def pics and video.

Personally, I find it quite easy to upload my videos to youtube, then simply send links to my friends. Is it the same thing as being able to use iMessage? No. Does it get the job done, and even in some ways provide even more features than using a traditional messaging service? Yes.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
however, what I will argue is that SMS, and even more so MMS, are antiquated services. MMS was designed to send files of very small size over carrier's networks...the same networks that carry voice transmissions (this was before high speed data services such as 3G even existed).

MMS uses DATA to store the picture on the carrier?s server and then standard SMS to send the link. The size limitation appears to be an arbitrary limitation set by the carrier not because the system couldn't handle it. Increasing the limit would probably only require a minor change to the server software, similar to the change Sprint made to support MMS via WiFi. Carriers have no incentive to do that because MMS data doesn't come out of the user's data pool but is included in the SMS/MMS charges. Change that so carriers could treat MMS data as regular data and charge for it and they might go for fixing the size limit.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
MMS uses DATA to store the picture on the carrier’s server and then standard SMS to send the link. The size limitation appears to be an arbitrary limitation set by the carrier not because the system couldn't handle it. Increasing the limit would probably only require a minor change to the server software, similar to the change Sprint made to support MMS via WiFi. Carriers have no incentive to do that because MMS data doesn't come out of the user's data pool but is included in the SMS/MMS charges. Change that so carriers could treat MMS data as regular data and charge for it and they might go for fixing the size limit.

I'm not 100% sure what channels MMS data uses to transport the media, but I believe this is all correct. None the less, I still stand by my opinion that it's an antiquated system...at least in it's current state. I agree that the system could be improved, but logistically you have the issues of what happens when the sender is on one carrier and the recipient is on another...basically all carriers would agree to some extent how much data can be transmitted in these messages.

Again, this is just my opinion, but SMS/MMS is clunky, outdated, has too small character limits and file sizes, lacks features such as read status of messages, and group messaging, while functional, is pretty lousy as well.

Personally, I much prefer to use Hangouts over SMS...the hard part is getting my friends and family to use it over traditional SMS, but most that have agree it's much better.

ariel456

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem and no matter how much I trim the video it still says too large to send. I also recently switched from and phone and never had any problems sending videos.

Rashawn29

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem and no matter how much I trim the video it still says too large to send. I also recently switched from and phone and never had any problems sending videos.

You have to pick limit to MMS before recording

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac