05-15-2017 11:05 PM
51 123
tools
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    05-14-2013 11:22 AM
    Pretty self explanatory don't you think? You can't send large files via MMS. There's a size limit (message>settings to see). So you have to send shorter vids, decrease the video quality or trim your video down so it's small enough to send.

My advice for very large files is to upload them to a cloud service like dropbox and send the link to the recipient. Otherwise, you have do either of the above options.
    joemontana likes this.
    05-14-2013 11:27 AM
    Can you be a bit more specific? Is this when trying to send an MMS? An e-mail? A Whatsapp message? In any case, every account has certain limits (especially MMS) when it comes to file sizes.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    05-14-2013 11:27 AM
    Pretty self explanatory don't you think? You can't send large files via MMS. There's a size limit (message>settings to see). So you have to send shorter vids, decrease the video quality or trim your video down so it's small enough to send.

My advice for very large files is to upload them to a cloud service like dropbox and send the link to the recipient. Otherwise, you have do either of the above options.
    Well I just got this phone so I'm still trying to figure out how to use it... and I had an iPhone and I never needed to downsize a video.. so sorry for not knowing

05-14-2013 11:35 AM
    Can you be a bit more specific? Is this when trying to send an MMS? An e-mail? A Whatsapp message? In any case, every account has certain limits (especially MMS) when it comes to file sizes.
    It's with email messages etc. But I used to have an iPhone and it never limited the size so is there anyway to fix it or use something else to message somebody or something. I'm still trying to get used to the phone

05-14-2013 11:39 AM
    Well I just got this phone so I'm still trying to figure out how to use it... and I had an iPhone and I never needed to downsize a video.. so sorry for not knowing

That's why I offered the resolutions. Keep in mind that if you are recording a full HD video (which is the default setting) for too long then it's going to get too large very quickly. I think 25MB is the limit when not on wifi. I forget the exact number but it's somewhere around that. An HD video passes 25MB very quickly. As an example I took a 2 min vid of my dogs playing and it was 232MB. Are you trying on Wifi and how large in the file you are trying to send? Just to help pinpoint.
    05-14-2013 11:52 AM
    If you want to send videos via text/mms, you'll have to change the setting on the video camera. All iPhone did was shrink the video to make it fit in a text message. No need to have a phone with such great video recording quality to send those crappy videos. Use dropbox or Google drive to share the video.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-14-2013 11:56 AM
    That's why I offered the resolutions. Keep in mind that if you are recording a full HD video (which is the default setting) for too long then it's going to get too large very quickly. I think 25MB is the limit when not on wifi. I forget the exact number but it's somewhere around that. An HD video passes 25MB very quickly. As an example I took a 2 min vid of my dogs playing and it was 232MB. Are you trying on Wifi and how large in the file you are trying to send? Just to help pinpoint.
    I don't know how large or whatever all I know is that I can't send messages and I don't know how to change the format

05-14-2013 12:09 PM
    I'll try that thanks

05-14-2013 12:10 PM
    I don't know how large or whatever all I know is that I can't send messages and I don't know how to change the format

Well that's why I'm asking. Trying to help you. If you want to see how large it is, go to your gallery, select it, hit menu key and details. This will show how large it is. Around here, if you want help, you have to provide more information. If not then no one can help you. And I suggested dropbox or other cloud in my first response. I provided you the basics around why your messages can't be sent but I was just trying to help identify your specific reason. But since all you know is you can't send, then good luck.
    Etherval likes this.
    05-14-2013 12:12 PM
    So if I have already taken the video and want tl send it is there anyway I can?

05-14-2013 12:18 PM
    It's with email messages etc. But I used to have an iPhone and it never limited the size so is there anyway to fix it or use something else to message somebody or something. I'm still trying to get used to the phone

Iphone compresses the size of the videos you send automatically so it doesn't matter how big the video is ios will shink it down and send it. Android, you're gonna need to find a app to do that for you or just send smaller video files.
    05-14-2013 12:30 PM
    Well that's why I'm asking. Trying to help you. If you want to see how large it is, go to your gallery, select it, hit menu key and details. This will show how large it is. Around here, if you want help, you have to provide more information. If not then no one can help you. And I suggested dropbox or other cloud in my first response. I provided you the basics around why your messages can't be sent but I was just trying to help identify your specific reason. But since all you know is you can't send, then good luck.
    Okay so if I use dropbox it'll work? What is cloud?

05-14-2013 12:41 PM
    I'm sorry if I'm being annoying I'm just new to everything and still trying to figure out what I'm doing with this phone and sorry I'm not giving enough info and whatnot

05-14-2013 12:45 PM
    When Iphones send videos, they'll downsize it without asking you.
    Androids usually say "compressing image" or something like that when you want to send it via MMS or e-mail to the appropriate size.
    05-14-2013 03:22 PM
    Yes, dropbox is a cloud service. They store the video for you and they will give you a link for the video. Then, you can share it with someone.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-14-2013 03:39 PM
    What a jerk answer! People come here with real questions. You don't help making them feel stupid! Definitely overcompensation the ego for some reason.
    07-28-2013 08:49 PM
    On the s3 if you record with the mms seeing it fits it for text messaging. That is the only way I found to send a video without using a 3rd party app.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-28-2013 08:52 PM
    Go to recording mode and select Limit to MMS
    Topgonzo likes this.
    07-28-2013 09:14 PM
    Open your camera app, click on the little video camera icon (center screen, right side) then press limit to MMS.
    that should do you.

Posted via Android Central App on my Galaxy S4
    07-28-2013 11:05 PM
    Okay so if I use dropbox it'll work? What is cloud?

Aside from finding answers here you can try to find the basics one by using either Google or Bing. Personally I used them just to store my data and pictures with out sharing them with any one, but that is just me. In order to send big videos what I have done is I bought and application from google play called Video Message Shrinker and so far I have been able to shink and send just about every video that I have recorder, of course I will say withing limits but at least the resolution is good rather than the crapy MMS limit.
    07-29-2013 12:02 AM
    What a jerk answer! People come here with real questions. You don't help making them feel stupid! Definitely overcompensation the ego for some reason.
    You realize the thread hadn't been active in 2 1/2 months? And who are you referring to with the "what a jerk answer"?
    07-29-2013 07:41 AM
    ibcop it's pretty clear if you read the messages, the comment was directed at scorpiodsu. It was, indeed, a jerk answer.

I've never owned an iphone but that is very cool that it resizes video to fit MMS requirements. Android should do the same. Having to go through a separate app is not cool or tecchy -- it's just an additional pain in the A**.
    08-08-2013 04:15 PM
    ibcop it's pretty clear if you read the messages, the comment was directed at scorpiodsu. It was, indeed, a jerk answer.

I've never owned an iphone but that is very cool that it resizes video to fit MMS requirements. Android should do the same. Having to go through a separate app is not cool or tecchy -- it's just an additional pain in the A**.
    This subject has been touched on a few times, but there are several points to consider regarding the whole sending video over MMS and why the iPhone does it and Android does not issue...

1. HD videos are HUGE files. The size limit for MMS messages depends on the carrier, but it's usually only a few MB, which basically boils down to about 1-2 seconds of video at the highest setting.

2. iPhones are able to use the iMessage system, which has a much higher size limit, but unfortunately is only available on iPhones. Often, iPhone users don't realize the difference between the 2 services because Apple has done such a good job at integrating iMessage with standard SMS/MMS.

3. Yes, iPhones will attempt to automatically compress videos to send, even over MMS to non-iPhone users, but what you usually end up with barely watchable...I mean, you can only compress so much, and at a certain point, it gets to be like trying to get an elephant into a phone booth.

4. MMS is, frankly, a deprecated protocol and really isn't ideal for sending large files, no matter how you slice it. It worked great back in the day when we all had feature phones with crappy cameras that took crappy pics and low-res video, but for today's modern hardware, it's really not good for much other than text. Luckily, today's smartphones do support a wide array of other methods/apps for sharing media.

5. If you absolutely must share vids via MMS, there are camera settings so that you can take low-res vids that will be able to fit.

So basically, I do agree that iPhone handles this sort of thing better, but the "teach a man to fish" version of this story is that's it's probably best to learn to use other methods of file sharing for high-def video taken with the S4 anyway. It's not about being "cool" or "techy", it's about the fact that trying to send a file that large over MMS is like trying to drive a tricycle on the Interstate.

For the record, I find the best way is to simply upload the video to YouTube, then send the link out to the friends I want to be able to see it. Most people are familiar with YouTube and have the ability to view videos on their phone, plus they don't have to worry about downloading any large files to their device in order to be able to watch it themselves...and they'll actually be able to see the video you took in all it's high-def glory! (and you do have the option as to whether or not your videos are public).
    NellieRose and Lilkidmom like this.
    08-08-2013 04:58 PM
    I have the same problem with my android phone... I used to have an iphone and just switched to android phone couple weeks ago. I just found out that I couldn't send out the videos via email last night, and it was quite a bummer. Is there any app that can help me shrink the video size and email it out if I don't want to send it via Dropbox?
    09-30-2013 03:31 PM
51 123