Apple...Just wont leave Samsung alone....

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Um, they invented it and don't want it copied.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

They invented nothing? Because that's all we know about the nature of the lawsuit at this moment. Nothing.

So you're actually correct in that they invented nothing.

Except patent trolling. Wait, they stole that, too.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
They won't leave EACH OTHER alone. Samsung is not a victim here man LOL. They sue others just as well.

No, Samsung is just countersuing to defend themselves. And suing other companies is fine. But Samsung (unlike Apple) isn't doing it to the point where the volume and ridiculousness of the lawsuits make the company an outright patent troll.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Because Samsung and the other cell vendors had phones with all touch screen interfaces before the popularity of the iPhone. I am not defending apple but if you can honestly sit here no say that Samsung does not rip of their design esthetic and style you are simply lying to your self.

It was not until the s3 Samsung started trying to ween its design away from the iPhone, heck look at the chrome book, sure that doesn't look exactly like a Mac book air, so much that one of their adverts has OS X icons ill the browser view of the advert.

These are great companies, but that fact remains that Samsung has built an empire off stealing apples designs and concepts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Because Samsung and the other cell vendors had phones with all touch screen interfaces before the popularity of the iPhone. I am not defending apple but if you can honestly sit here no say that Samsung does not rip of their design esthetic and style you are simply lying to your self.

It was not until the s3 Samsung started trying to ween its design away from the iPhone, heck look at the chrome book, sure that doesn't look exactly like a Mac book air, so much that one of their adverts has OS X icons ill the browser view of the advert.

These are great companies, but that fact remains that Samsung has built an empire off stealing apples designs and concepts.

You simply cannot say Samsung copied Apple by using a touch screen. The iPhone wasn't the first touchscreen phone.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes even my treo had a touch screen but come on, after the explosion of iOS and the iPhone every vendor followed apples lead and tried to copy the experience as best they could. So I am not saying Samsung alone did this, every one has. Wo makes a tactile phone these days?

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Not touch people, but multi touch. Two different things. Multi touch can differentiate three or more points. Did the damn Treo have gestures ?I know my PDAs from the dateless past didn't.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Now, I do have a question, why is Apple constantly winning in American courts?

The simple answer is, Apple hires technobabble-speaking lawyers, going up against judges whose technical expertise stems from watching Tim The Toolman Taylor grunt on TV.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It's not about touch screen, it's about multi touch. Multi touch was invented and patented by a company that Apple bought. Apple now holds the patents for multi touch.

I don't have the time to dig through Henry's patents and read his write ups, I'll concede. However, Selden never built an automobile,and never intended to, he was a modern day patent troll. Apple makes products, using the patents they defend.

Patent US3541541 - POSITION POT - Google Patents

First patent for a mouse was 1967. Not by Xerox. Xerox did make some improvements to the mouse, which they did patent. However I was referencing the copier. They had the patents, they built the copiers, they continued to innovate and improve the copy process, without competition. The patents expired, the technology became public domain.

Will someone please explain how trying to keep someone from stealing or copying your patents is slowing down the development of technology ? It would seem the opposite would be the case. By protecting my patents, it forces you to come up with your own ideas and find a better and more effective way of doing things.

OK, here's the whole argument in a nutshell.

"Steve Jobs did not steal much from Xerox. The visit to the PARC that day inspired him to improve what has already been discovered. This is how innovation works. You can do the same. Look around, get inspired, innovate."
source: Steve Jobs and Xerox: The Truth About Innovation by ZURB

If a patent had been scrupulously enforced for the mouse Jobs couldn't have innovated or improved. That's the whole point.
SRI licensed the computer mouse technology to Apple, Xerox, and other companies. The patent didn't expire until 1987.

I'm afraid you are blowing smoke when you say Henry Ford patented the use of four wheels. But prove me wrong and I'll eat my virtual hat.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
All I will say again is:

Thank god Apple isnt into other markets....

Motherboards, PC cases, hard drives, disk drives, monitors, TV's, cars, car interiors, car exteriors, car engines, speakers, video game software, game consoles, appliances, beds, couches, furniture, building materials, windows, lamps, ect, ect have ALL been innovated upon to great lengths. I would argue ALOT more so than what Apple did with the smartphone. ....How come there arent all these lawsuits in other markets? Why does Apple seem so sue happy compared to other companies in other markets? Nothing slowed down by companies not suing in other markets. Great strides were made in many, many, many markets with no lawsuits.

There have been a sprinkle of lawsuits in other markets....but no where to the lengths of what Apple has done/is doing. Thats the point some seem to overlook. Great innovation happens in many, many other areas....where some things can be seen as copies of something that came before it.....without all the lawsuits.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think IBM should start getting in the mix and suing everybody because IBM has more patents than any other company on the planet.

Stealing/copying technology....it's wrong, but it happens. Look at the internal combustion engine. Just about everything has been copied on today's current setup. Right down to the hemispherical cylinder head, yes that's 'The HEMI!!!' Variable valve timing, coil over plugs, etc. Auto manufacturers don't sue over this crap. Apple seems to sue over ridiculous things, mainly aesthetics. Wedge shaped laptops, rectangles with rounded edges, icons. Apple's own demented logic screams that since they invented iTunes, no other company should have anything like it. They are oppressing and persecuting Samsung to a fault. They aren't suing Amazon or Barnes and Noble over the shape of the Kindle or Nook.

Basic point is that all this is downright sickening. And it's this behavior that is the reason why I am not going to buy any Apple product.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
No sure about that. Following that logic Henry Ford should have sued anyone who ever used an assembly line. That is a prime example of how Apple is trying to stifle innovation. If Henry Ford had been successful in a patent battle regarding the assembly line (assuming he had every filed a patent lawsuit) how fast would the automobile have developed and how high would automobile prices be without other manufactures being able to use the assembly line?

EDIT: BTW, I believe you have to invent something to patent it. You don't get patents by changing existing things.
In my eyes this looks like monopoly.....

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Its very childish. Apple needs to stop because the galaxy phones look nothing like and doesn't perform like their icraps. I use to love the iphones but every year it was the same thing. The only thing I can honestly say I do miss is when my phone broke or needed to be changed via warranty that was done right away at the apple store instead of waiting for my carrier to send me another one.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Its very childish. Apple needs to stop because the galaxy phones look nothing like and doesn't perform like their icraps. I use to love the iphones but every year it was the same thing. The only thing I can honestly say I do miss is when my phone broke or needed to be changed via warranty that was done right away at the apple store instead of waiting for my carrier to send me another one.

Apple makes awesome products. Samsung was far more childish for paying people to write bad reviews about a product.

BillyMichael92

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Will someone please explain how trying to keep someone from stealing or copying your patents is slowing down the development of technology ? It would seem the opposite would be the case. By protecting my patents, it forces you to come up with your own ideas and find a better and more effective way of doing things.

Quite simply because companies patent anything and everything that they possibly can.

If the rumours are correct that predictive text was removed due to apple then that is just insane. Surely you cannot expect phone to not use predictive text just because "apple did it first". However I have not read if that is the reason for no predictive text in the US

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Jakiro201

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

Nothing can beat the iPad at the moment. The Macbook was also proved to be the most stable laptop to run Windows. Although I agree that their products are quite overpriced and the iPhone is getting worse.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I think IBM should start getting in the mix and suing everybody because IBM has more patents than any other company on the planet.

Stealing/copying technology....it's wrong, but it happens. Look at the internal combustion engine. Just about everything has been copied on today's current setup. Right down to the hemispherical cylinder head, yes that's 'The HEMI!!!' Variable valve timing, coil over plugs, etc. Auto manufacturers don't sue over this crap. Apple seems to sue over ridiculous things, mainly aesthetics. Wedge shaped laptops, rectangles with rounded edges, icons. Apple's own demented logic screams that since they invented iTunes, no other company should have anything like it. They are oppressing and persecuting Samsung to a fault. They aren't suing Amazon or Barnes and Noble over the shape of the Kindle or Nook.

Basic point is that all this is downright sickening. And it's this behavior that is the reason why I am not going to buy any Apple product.

But is anyone using IBM's current patents without licensing them ? Also the current lawsuits are not about trade dress, they are about patent infringement. Two different things. It wasn't stated what patents Apple felt were being violated.

As far as your auto analogy goes, patents expire. Automakers have licensing agreements, fancy patented fuel injection systems are purchased from the manufacture (ie Bosh, who may or may not hold a patent on direct injection).

All I will say again is:

Motherboards, PC cases, hard drives, disk drives, monitors, TV's, cars, car interiors, car exteriors, car engines, speakers, video game software, game consoles, appliances, beds, couches, furniture, building materials, windows, lamps, ect, ect have ALL been innovated upon to great lengths. I would argue ALOT more so than what Apple did with the smartphone. ....How come there arent all these lawsuits in other markets? Why does Apple seem so sue happy compared to other companies in other markets? Nothing slowed down by companies not suing in other markets. Great strides were made in many, many, many markets with no lawsuits.

There have been a sprinkle of lawsuits in other markets....but no where to the lengths of what Apple has done/is doing. Thats the point some seem to overlook. Great innovation happens in many, many other areas....where some things can be seen as copies of something that came before it.....without all the lawsuits.

Actually, there are lawsuits in other markets. Companies also license other companies patents. Some people also forget that patents also expire and the knowledge or technology becomes public domain.

Quite simply because companies patent anything and everything that they possibly can.

If the rumours are correct that predictive text was removed due to apple then that is just insane. Surely you cannot expect phone to not use predictive text just because "apple did it first". However I have not read if that is the reason for no predictive text in the US

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Why would they not patent their predictive text technolgy ? Why shouldn't Samsung license it or come up with their own way ? (I believe innovate is the word we're looking for.)

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Apple makes awesome products. Samsung was far more childish for paying people to write bad reviews about a product.

No, patent trolling is just as if not more childish. And making good products doesn't justify a company behaving in such an immature and unprofessional way.

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
No, patent trolling is just as if not more childish. And making good products doesn't justify a company behaving in such an immature and unprofessional way.

An even more childish behavior is spreading hatred and FUD.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084