Samsung Galaxy S4 Inductive Charging

SlackBlade

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Son just got an S4. I am a little jealous. I thought I had read that the S4 was going to have Inductive charging to support both Qi and Powermat, but have not seen anything yet. Has anyone heard anything about this or know what is supported?

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
All I know is you have to purchase a new back for it. I'm not sure if it's been released yet or not.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not yet, but coming... You'll need to buy a special backcover, though... In any case, why go Inductive? The charger is way too expensive, it is still attached to a power outlet or charging port, the phone still needs to be in contact with the cradle, and good luck if you want to use it comfortably while charging... I'd rather deal with a cable than with all that, IMHO

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Not yet, but coming... You'll need to buy a special backcover, though... In any case, why go Inductive? The charger is way too expensive, it is still attached to a power outlet or charging port, the phone still needs to be in contact with the cradle, and good luck if you want to use it comfortably while charging... I'd rather deal with a cable than with all that, IMHO
I agree for the most part but you're missing two items to think about. 1) convenience of just dropping it on a charger one handed and picking it back up to go or use. 2) I have worn out USB sockets phones before, total loss.

SlackBlade

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I was asking about it for myself too. I have a Powermat now. I got it originally because it was $12 for a single and back for my company BB Bold. I then got a custom back from coveroo for my S3. The reason I use it is because I work from home and have it at my desk. I can pick them up and run around the house or leave and they are fully charged. When I am working, I do not use them. I also have a charger by my TV room that I use while watching TV. I like the convenience of pickup / set down and no cord.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Solariis

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Only one I have seen so far:
WiQiQi for Galaxy S4

Nothing yet on Qi or Powermat brands that I know of. Based on the above link though, they will make ones that fit inside the stock battery door or replacement battery doors of the same stock size, without compromising the size of the phone.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I checked the Samsung website for S4 accessories and it is not listed yet. I am interested in this as I have a LG power mat for my Nexus 4 and love it. Also have the receiver back for my Note 2 but that takes so long to charge due to the size of the battery size.

I like just laying the phone on the mat, hearing that sound and see it charging. Not sure if I would buy the mat etc for just one phone. It is slower than USB charging but you do save wear and tear on the USB connector.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I
Only one I have seen so far:
WiQiQi for Galaxy S4

Nothing yet on Qi or Powermat brands that I know of. Based on the above link though, they will make ones that fit inside the stock battery door or replacement battery doors of the same stock size, without compromising the size of the phone.

That looks alot like my Note 2 receiver pad...I might check to see if it fits...

Edit: nope... the pad does not allow the back to snap on. Which us why they are selling a back with the coil built in.

scaryhumor

May 13, 2010
Visit site
It is an inefficient way to charge a phone (uses more electricity), and the hardware is much more expensive ($30 - $40 compared to a $10 plug-in).
That being said, it was one of the coolest things on my Palm Pre, and I had a Touchstone at my office, and another on the kitchen counter. Sign me up.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
It is an inefficient way to charge a phone (uses more electricity), and the hardware is much more expensive ($30 - $40 compared to a $10 plug-in).
That being said, it was one of the coolest things on my Palm Pre, and I had a Touchstone at my office, and another on the kitchen counter. Sign me up.

Yes. The hardware IS more expensive but it is a one time cost. And if the charger or pad goes bad, it is much easier (and cheaper in most cases) to replace than take your phone to the store and either have them fix it, pay the deductible for insurance, or getting a refurb that might be in horrible shape becaue the USB port on the phone got jacked because of constant use.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site

There's a $30 kit on ebay that puts an inductive film inside your existing phone, using your same back cover that let's you use your S4 with Palm touchstones. I have one in my car from my palm phones I used to have and one next to my bed.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=121105143897&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=73710582913

Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8nqXYii9OM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Parafly

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I want one when available also. So much easier at night to just pick it up and put it down.

Also .... Would be cool to have qi built into a car dock

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Parafly

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
There's a $30 kit on ebay that puts an inductive film inside your existing phone, using your same back cover that let's you use your S4 with Palm touchstones. I have one in my car from my palm phones I used to have and one next to my bed.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=121105143897&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=73710582913

Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8nqXYii9OM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Is touchstone compatible with qi?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

PhilSeastrand

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Check it out!

Does this work with a case, such as a Ballastic?

Newtoandroid99

May 13, 2012
Visit site

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
No definitely not wanting to take the case off either that would be pointless. But I would switch to a thinner case if necessary. I'm still waiting back to hear. Then if it's a go I'll get it and test it out myself and put up a video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37