10-08-2013 02:34 PM
48 12
tools
    Son just got an S4. I am a little jealous. I thought I had read that the S4 was going to have Inductive charging to support both Qi and Powermat, but have not seen anything yet. Has anyone heard anything about this or know what is supported?
    05-14-2013 03:44 PM
    All I know is you have to purchase a new back for it. I'm not sure if it's been released yet or not.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD
    05-14-2013 03:46 PM
    Not yet, but coming... You'll need to buy a special backcover, though... In any case, why go Inductive? The charger is way too expensive, it is still attached to a power outlet or charging port, the phone still needs to be in contact with the cradle, and good luck if you want to use it comfortably while charging... I'd rather deal with a cable than with all that, IMHO
    05-14-2013 03:46 PM
    Not yet, but coming... You'll need to buy a special backcover, though... In any case, why go Inductive? The charger is way too expensive, it is still attached to a power outlet or charging port, the phone still needs to be in contact with the cradle, and good luck if you want to use it comfortably while charging... I'd rather deal with a cable than with all that, IMHO
    I agree for the most part but you're missing two items to think about. 1) convenience of just dropping it on a charger one handed and picking it back up to go or use. 2) I have worn out USB sockets phones before, total loss.
    05-14-2013 04:20 PM
    I'd refute point number one by getting a dock... but point number 2 is true, you do get worn USB ports.
    05-14-2013 04:25 PM
    I was asking about it for myself too. I have a Powermat now. I got it originally because it was $12 for a single and back for my company BB Bold. I then got a custom back from coveroo for my S3. The reason I use it is because I work from home and have it at my desk. I can pick them up and run around the house or leave and they are fully charged. When I am working, I do not use them. I also have a charger by my TV room that I use while watching TV. I like the convenience of pickup / set down and no cord.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    05-14-2013 04:44 PM
    Only one I have seen so far:
    WiQiQi for Galaxy S4

Nothing yet on Qi or Powermat brands that I know of. Based on the above link though, they will make ones that fit inside the stock battery door or replacement battery doors of the same stock size, without compromising the size of the phone.
    05-14-2013 04:54 PM
    I checked the Samsung website for S4 accessories and it is not listed yet. I am interested in this as I have a LG power mat for my Nexus 4 and love it. Also have the receiver back for my Note 2 but that takes so long to charge due to the size of the battery size.

I like just laying the phone on the mat, hearing that sound and see it charging. Not sure if I would buy the mat etc for just one phone. It is slower than USB charging but you do save wear and tear on the USB connector.
    05-14-2013 05:06 PM
    I
    Only one I have seen so far:
    WiQiQi for Galaxy S4

Nothing yet on Qi or Powermat brands that I know of. Based on the above link though, they will make ones that fit inside the stock battery door or replacement battery doors of the same stock size, without compromising the size of the phone.
    That looks alot like my Note 2 receiver pad...I might check to see if it fits...

Edit: nope... the pad does not allow the back to snap on. Which us why they are selling a back with the coil built in.
    05-14-2013 05:09 PM
    It is an inefficient way to charge a phone (uses more electricity), and the hardware is much more expensive ($30 - $40 compared to a $10 plug-in).
    That being said, it was one of the coolest things on my Palm Pre, and I had a Touchstone at my office, and another on the kitchen counter. Sign me up.
    05-14-2013 07:57 PM
    It is an inefficient way to charge a phone (uses more electricity), and the hardware is much more expensive ($30 - $40 compared to a $10 plug-in).
    That being said, it was one of the coolest things on my Palm Pre, and I had a Touchstone at my office, and another on the kitchen counter. Sign me up.
    Yes. The hardware IS more expensive but it is a one time cost. And if the charger or pad goes bad, it is much easier (and cheaper in most cases) to replace than take your phone to the store and either have them fix it, pay the deductible for insurance, or getting a refurb that might be in horrible shape becaue the USB port on the phone got jacked because of constant use.
    05-14-2013 08:17 PM
    There's a $30 kit on ebay that puts an inductive film inside your existing phone, using your same back cover that let's you use your S4 with Palm touchstones. I have one in my car from my palm phones I used to have and one next to my bed.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=73710582913

Check it out!

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2
    05-14-2013 08:30 PM
    I want one when available also. So much easier at night to just pick it up and put it down.

Also .... Would be cool to have qi built into a car dock

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    05-14-2013 09:22 PM
    There's a $30 kit on ebay that puts an inductive film inside your existing phone, using your same back cover that let's you use your S4 with Palm touchstones. I have one in my car from my palm phones I used to have and one next to my bed.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=73710582913

Check it out!

Is touchstone compatible with qi?

05-14-2013 09:23 PM
    Is touchstone compatible with qi?

No, I do not believe touchstone and Qi are not compatible.
    Parafly likes this.
    05-14-2013 09:47 PM
    Check it out!
    Does this work with a case, such as a Ballastic?
    05-15-2013 01:13 AM
    Does this work with a case, such as a Ballastic?
    I emailed the seller earlier this evening to ask. Cause I have an incipio dual pro shine on mine.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=lNYIHlEp

05-15-2013 01:39 AM
    I emailed the seller earlier this evening to ask. Cause I have an incipio dual pro shine on mine.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=fYPq39UT

Please let us know what they say. For 49.99 I might try this but I wouldn't want to use it if it ment taking off my case every time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    05-15-2013 07:42 AM
    No definitely not wanting to take the case off either that would be pointless. But I would switch to a thinner case if necessary. I'm still waiting back to hear. Then if it's a go I'll get it and test it out myself and put up a video.

05-15-2013 08:53 AM
    No, I do not believe touchstone and Qi are not compatible.
    You are correct. Qi is not the same as Touchstone. It is the third less used Induction Charging system. Palm developed it on their own.

This sounds like the same thing that was being done for the S3. Super Simple 5 minutes Wireless Charging Mod for Samsung SG3 - xda-developers
    05-15-2013 03:27 PM
    Please let us know what they say. For 49.99 I might try this but I wouldn't want to use it if it ment taking off my case every time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    Got a reply back. As suspected, it will work with thinner cases but not thicker ones like mine or the otterbox. Does anyone know if the qiqi system works with thicker cases?

05-16-2013 07:29 AM
    Ack they need to ship to Canada. I have a few touchstones kicking around. Inductive charging on a touchstone is the best.
    05-16-2013 03:09 PM
    How much longer is charging on the touchstone. Can you use the "Galaxy charging current" app to identify the power its receiving.
    05-16-2013 07:28 PM
    How much longer is charging on the touchstone. Can you use the "Galaxy charging current" app to identify the power its receiving.
    The Pres I used to have charged at about the same rate on the Touchstone

I can't wait till I get to put this one back to use!

There was a homebrew app called govnah that showed all kinds of things for WebOS. Does anyone know of one for jellybean?

Samsung Galaxy S4 Inductive Charging-uploadfromtaptalk1368751851307.jpg

05-16-2013 07:50 PM
    Got a reply back. As suspected, it will work with thinner cases but not thicker ones like mine or the otterbox. Does anyone know if the qiqi system works with thicker cases?

I have pretty much the same case as you, oh well.
    05-16-2013 08:33 PM
48 12