Hi guys,

A few issues with Instagram and Plume I wanted to run by you and see if anyone else is experiencing them (or knows how to fix them).

Plume
    1) It's missing a lot of notifications. I've set it up to refresh every 30 minutes but sometimes it will, sometimes it'll show up new tweets an hour later, I've even seen it (or not seen it?) up to three hours later!

Instagram
    1) Pictures look good after cropping and applying filter, even the local file Instagram creates looks great, but when the picture is uploaded, the end result is a very blocky, pixelated image (I hate that I have such an awesome camera and I can't show it off on Instagram because they keep coming out crappy with compression NOT caused by the camera).
    2) I'm getting notifications, but the phone's not registering them as such. On my Note 2, when I got an Instagram notification, the phone would vibrate and play the regular sound. On my S4, only the notification icon pops up on the notification bar, but no vibration nor sound, so I don't know it's there until I go and manually check the phone.

Any ideas/help?
    Omer San Gabriel likes this.
    05-14-2013 03:56 PM
    Bumpetty...

Anyone? Plume devs have already asked me to send daily logs as they've been getting SOME reports but haven't been able to reproduce it. But it's the Instagram issues that are driving me nuts, especially the pixelated thingy...
    05-15-2013 08:34 AM
    Hi guys,

A few issues with Instagram and Plume I wanted to run by you and see if anyone else is experiencing them (or knows how to fix them).

Plume
    1) It's missing a lot of notifications. I've set it up to refresh every 30 minutes but sometimes it will, sometimes it'll show up new tweets an hour later, I've even seen it (or not seen it?) up to three hours later!

Instagram
    1) Pictures look good after cropping and applying filter, even the local file Instagram creates looks great, but when the picture is uploaded, the end result is a very blocky, pixelated image (I hate that I have such an awesome camera and I can't show it off on Instagram because they keep coming out crappy with compression NOT caused by the camera).
    2) I'm getting notifications, but the phone's not registering them as such. On my Note 2, when I got an Instagram notification, the phone would vibrate and play the regular sound. On my S4, only the notification icon pops up on the notification bar, but no vibration nor sound, so I don't know it's there until I go and manually check the phone.

Any ideas/help?
    Same with the blocky result. I don't know if others are experiencing this but when i use photo from my gallery that was taken in portrait when i use the image in instagram it shows in landscape during cropping.

Edited.

For me it's very difficult to crop because the picture was originally taken in portrait...
    05-15-2013 08:37 AM
    That's a VERY common problem, a VERY old issue, and one that pertains to how cameras store the files and how apps read the information. Most cameras take the picture on landscape mode (which is why you see it that way when imported into Instagram) and just add a rotation tag to the file to let the app know how the picture was taken. The gallery reads this tag correctly, but Instagram ignores it, it just reads the image data. Also, when you transfer those pictures to a computer, your portrait photos will also be in landscape, forcing you to manually rotate them into Windows and saving them if you want to retain them in that way.
    05-15-2013 08:44 AM
    Reason no. 1,569 why not to use the camera in portrait.
    05-15-2013 09:04 AM
    My number one reason is when uploading a video to YouTube or watching on TV

Posted via Android Central App
    05-15-2013 09:16 AM
    That's a VERY common problem, a VERY old issue, and one that pertains to how cameras store the files and how apps read the information. Most cameras take the picture on landscape mode (which is why you see it that way when imported into Instagram) and just add a rotation tag to the file to let the app know how the picture was taken. The gallery reads this tag correctly, but Instagram ignores it, it just reads the image data. Also, when you transfer those pictures to a computer, your portrait photos will also be in landscape, forcing you to manually rotate them into Windows and saving them if you want to retain them in that way.
    Is there any way to automatically rotate the photos so i will not rotate them once i transferred them to windows?
    05-15-2013 09:41 AM
    Not that I know of, at least not directly from Windows (but again, I could be wrong). I do, however, know there are apps that can 'manage' your media and will automatically read the tag data from the phone and display those properly on your PC, but you need to install a separate media manager or gallery manager that can support it.
    05-15-2013 09:45 AM
    I see, well thanks for the quick feedback! Still studying this 1 week old phone of mine. )
    05-15-2013 09:47 AM
    Just to be fair, this is an issue with ALL phones. If all OSs and apps read the tag info properly, this wouldn't be an issue
    05-15-2013 09:52 AM
    05-15-2013 04:52 PM
    I have the same issue with my uploaded pics looking eh most of the time.. :-/
    05-16-2013 12:37 AM
    How do the files look on the images Instagram saves to your phone? A friend has an HTC phone and his are coming out pixelated, too, but the file in his phone is ALSO pixelated... in my case, the local file looks great, it's just the uploaded result that turns into a SNES render of a Mortal Kombat scene...
    05-16-2013 08:52 AM
    How do the files look on the images Instagram saves to your phone? A friend has an HTC phone and his are coming out pixelated, too, but the file in his phone is ALSO pixelated... in my case, the local file looks great, it's just the uploaded result that turns into a SNES render of a Mortal Kombat scene...
    Pic on the phone looks great, exactly how it should. Uploaded one looks like I took them with a 1 megapixels camera. Crap!
    05-16-2013 04:21 PM
    I figured if out for IG.. There was an option in advanced options for high quality processing. Mine was turned on. I turned it off and now they look fine. Lol
    05-16-2013 04:35 PM
    Yup, same thing here... weird... I also noticed a few friend's latest posts are pixelated... all of them on Android. My iOS-toting friends' pictures look fine, however And some Android friends' pics look good, too... so I think this is isolated to a few models
    05-16-2013 04:40 PM
    Yup, same thing here... weird... I also noticed a few friend's latest posts are pixelated... all of them on Android. My iOS-toting friends' pictures look fine, however And some Android friends' pics look good, too... so I think this is isolated to a few models
    Did you try unchecking the option I mentioned?
    05-16-2013 04:42 PM
    I turned that off as well and they still come out pixelated Without the 'advanced processing' they look a little bit blurrier, which is why it SEEMS like they're better, but in pictures that involve text or curved lines or really sharp edges, you'll see the artifacts still there
    05-16-2013 04:42 PM
    I turned that off as well and they still come out pixelated Without the 'advanced processing' they look a little bit blurrier, which is why it SEEMS like they're better, but in pictures that involve text or curved lines or really sharp edges, you'll see the artifacts still there
    Yeah.. It's obviously an IG issue. I reported it and hopefully other people do to . Until then I'll leave it unchecked cause the slight blur is better than the pixelation . :-/
    05-16-2013 04:53 PM